Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The continuing erosion of miles earned by flying

Old Apr 16, 11, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35

I'm not sure about the rest of you out there, but one of the prime reasons I always try to book Air Canada or Star Alliance for business and pleasure trips is because of the Aeroplan miles I would accumulate.

However, as others have pointed out, while there is now miles inflation, there is no earth-size-inflation, nor is Air Canada going to zigzag their flights to increase the mileage to compensate for the decreased value of the miles.

See the problem is, Air Canada doesn't have that much going for it internationally, (granted, N.A. they have the best in flight entertainment), except for Aeroplan and the fact they fly to Canadian cities. These are the incentives that kept me flying Air Canada and Star Alliance recently, but the recent mileage grab, plus the scary fact that now that they have done a big mileage grab once, that raises the scary possibility that it could become a regular ritual.

Is it just me, or does this just make flying Air Canada and Star Alliance that less attractive?
Old Apr 16, 11, 1:46 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by highlander88 View Post
while there is now miles inflation, there is no earth-size-inflation
There is regular inflation which increases the value of points earned on AP affiliated CCs. I don't see a proportional change between regular inflation and point valuation however.
Old Apr 16, 11, 1:48 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Of course it's not just you. Aeroplan is no longer a frequent flyer program; it's a credit card reward program and a revenue source for AC.

I shifted around 50% of my CA flights to Westjet because of the eupgrade fiasco; I will likely shift whatever I can of the rest as well. AC has lost around $9000 of my business this year.
Old Apr 16, 11, 4:34 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by ceaton View Post
Of course it's not just you. Aeroplan is no longer a frequent flyer program; it's a credit card reward program and a revenue source for AC.

I shifted around 50% of my CA flights to Westjet because of the eupgrade fiasco; I will likely shift whatever I can of the rest as well. AC has lost around $9000 of my business this year.
Air Canada is doing very well thank you and is likely now to do better !!

It's not 142 members of FT who complain that will matter ... They have millions of customers ... Who CARES !!! They want to be profitable ...

We can all VENT wasted energy here it will not change anything ...

The compulsive behavior which is NOT LOGICAL that most members of FT have will make it most likely that they will continue to accrue miles and search even more for useless optimizations ...

These programs are studied to appeal to a certain percentage of the population who react compulsively by collecting these miles ...

My own personnal observation has told me that the more successful people around me have a behavioral pattern which is 180 deg opposite to most members of this board ...

MR are the most retarded use of time that I have seen by intelligent people, the more successful people around us simply put a higher VALUE on their time and use that time to create wealth instead of collecting trinkets ... This is a behavior which is unfortunately uncontrollable by most people as it is controlled by the cerebellum area of the brain ...

GO AP !! What AP is doing is the only way they will stay profitable ...

The few dozens of people here, ALWAYS THE SAME BUNCH will not change anything to that !!
Old Apr 16, 11, 4:49 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I am not thrilled with the changes, but life goes on. I have enough points to suck up an increase for my travels and when they run out - they run out
Old Apr 16, 11, 5:03 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead View Post
I am not thrilled with the changes, but life goes on. I have enough points to suck up an increase for my travels and when they run out - they run out
Agree
Old Apr 16, 11, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ceaton View Post

No concerns for me,personally with points,it is the cost added in dollars that has my attention.
AE works for me.I rarely use points personally.I gift them to family members who need to travel last minute to join us for Easter or at Barbados for holiday in winter.
The eupgrade has worked 100% of the flights I have requested since March 1st.As for lost business,not happening with me.Will be purchasing another(3rd this year) flight pass soon.
Old Apr 16, 11, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
No concerns for me,personally with points,it is the cost added in dollars that has my attention.
AE works for me.I rarely use points personally.I gift them to family members who need to travel last minute to join us for Easter or at Barbados for holiday in winter.
Yes, at least the Caribbean was "spared" in this round of increases. Lucky family you have!
Old Apr 16, 11, 7:14 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Airline economics aren't so simple. A tiny proportion of travellers (the type who hang out here on Flyertalk) make up the vast majority of profit for the airline. That is why Frequent Flyer programs have made sense in the past.

It is not the unwashed millions who are filling ACs coffers, it is the few who buy last minute tickets and fly hundreds of flights a year.

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World View Post
Air Canada is doing very well thank you and is likely now to do better !!

It's not 142 members of FT who complain that will matter ... They have millions of customers ... Who CARES !!! They want to be profitable ...

We can all VENT wasted energy here it will not change anything ...

The compulsive behavior which is NOT LOGICAL that most members of FT have will make it most likely that they will continue to accrue miles and search even more for useless optimizations ...

These programs are studied to appeal to a certain percentage of the population who react compulsively by collecting these miles ...

My own personnal observation has told me that the more successful people around me have a behavioral pattern which is 180 deg opposite to most members of this board ...

MR are the most retarded use of time that I have seen by intelligent people, the more successful people around us simply put a higher VALUE on their time and use that time to create wealth instead of collecting trinkets ... This is a behavior which is unfortunately uncontrollable by most people as it is controlled by the cerebellum area of the brain ...

GO AP !! What AP is doing is the only way they will stay profitable ...

The few dozens of people here, ALWAYS THE SAME BUNCH will not change anything to that !!
Old Apr 16, 11, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysbyvr View Post
Yes, at least the Caribbean was "spared" in this round of increases. Lucky family you have!
Shhh.I have always felt that a YSB/YYZ/BGI point redemption in Y was a fair fare redemption.It is the same going YVR/YYZ/BGI r/t .Strange,but have not required the YVR routing for some time.

Good to hear from you ysbyvr,been a while.
Old Apr 16, 11, 7:55 am

perhaps you should relate to the "additional" miles you've been earning in recent years.....like 25-50% bonus on UA, NH, US, CO, LH.....and what you used to spend $1 per mile becomes $2 per mile, and 3x miles gas and 10-25 points for eating Quaker Oats/OJ.
Old Apr 16, 11, 8:26 am

Programs: various
Aeroplan was originally a "Frequent Flyer" program designed to keep customers flying their planes and especially the business traveller. It wasn't a profit centre per se, just a marketing program.

AC developed Aeroplan into a "Loyalty Program" for a bunch of reasons: including it's original purpose of trying to keep frequent flyers but also trying to use it as a wider marketing tool to reach non regular flyers AND (and this is the important part) to start making a profit in itself.

So now, whether you fly a lot or buy a lot of stuff with your visa or amex or buy your gas at esso your just an Aeroplan customer. Remember AC sold Aeroplan off as a private business so AP don't care if you fly on planes or pump gas at Esso, makes no real difference to them.

They can bump up the redemption rates all they want, all it will do is increase their profits and we'll still keep collecting like sheep. How did they come up with what the increase would be this time around? They likely had some expert figure out the absolute maximum they could screw us without having an outright mutiny - and now we know what those numbers are.

Aeroplan is just a stand alone non-airline business so it shouldn't be a surprise they are trying to make as much money as possible at our expense and it's not surpising they are in collusion with AC in regards to the surcharges on redemptions.

With the over the top increase in redemption amounts and the Air Canada tolls - Aeroplan, in my opinion, is no longer worth the effort.

Their greed has overtaken them.

AC needs to get back to a real FF program
Old Apr 16, 11, 11:05 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Just to be clear, the new mileage requirements effective July 15, 2011 for Star rewards are only for members using AP miles to pay for the rewards right? ie, I can use points from another * Account for the old rates?

Perhaps they will at least reduce the "surcharges" on AC flights, but then again, generosity or fairness doesn't appear to be in the AC/AP vocabulary
Old Apr 16, 11, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
Just to be clear, the new mileage requirements effective July 15, 2011 for Star rewards are only for members using AP miles to pay for the rewards right? ie, I can use points from another * Account for the old rates?

Perhaps they will at least reduce the "surcharges" on AC flights, but then again, generosity or fairness doesn't appear to be in the AC/AP vocabulary
You can use miles from another *A account at whatever rate that *A program charges for redemptions. The AP rate chart is meaningless to someone with points in UA (for example).
Old Apr 16, 11, 11:53 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World View Post

I'm not a Mrunner... I happen to fly every week on a route where AC and WJ are the same price with similar schedules. Aeroplan did affect my behaviour. It now does so less.

Search this Thread