Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Post here if you are leaving Aeroplan due to new changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post here if you are leaving Aeroplan due to new changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
I guess this is what happens when you have monopoly power.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:11 pm

which other *A carrier offers a low (35K) Elite status, free international upgrade(s) and relatively low redemption miles (125K for J to Asia) on any *A carriers (without StarBlock)?

as far as I know, UA only gives full star alliance reward access to their 1K members and above (not Premier *S, Premier Exec) and last checked its so hard to get an UA Asia-North America J redemption

if one could convince me a comparable program, let me know
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
as far as I know, UA only gives full star alliance reward access to their 1K members and above (not Premier *S, Premier Exec) and last checked its so hard to get an UA Asia-North America J redemption
What do you mean by that?

The only thing 1Ks have that others dont is some extra economy access on United flights. Being 1K does not affect Star flights.

It is just as easy to get an Asia-NA award as it is with Aeroplan.

StarNet blocking is dead. And United NEVER blocked Air Canada. If an issue arises, one can easily just transfer miles into CO (for now) and book the trip there. As of June 15, business awards to Asia go down 5000 points, and CO will also offer one-way with FULL access to Star Alliance.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

The only thing 1Ks have that others dont is some extra economy access on United flights. Being 1K does not affect Star flights.

StarNet blocking is dead. If an issue arises, one can easily just transfer miles into CO (for now) and book the trip there. As of June 15, business awards to Asia go down 5000 points, and CO will also offer one-way with FULL access to Star Alliance.

The only problem is that if you are a general member, you will get routed to India, and booking an award can be a hassle. But so is Aeroplan.

United also allows MPM15 routing vs MPM5 routing for Aeroplan
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rankourabu

StarNet blocking is dead. If an issue arises, one can easily just transfer miles into CO (for now) and book the trip there. As of June 15, business awards to Asia go down 5000 points, and CO will also offer one-way with FULL access to Star Alliance.

The only problem is that if you are a general member, you will get routed to India, and booking an award can be a hassle. But so is Aeroplan.

That is the only thing I must disagree with. I hold no FF status with AP at the moment, but redeem fairly regularly anyway - and the agents have been VERY helpful. I don't know if I tend to have luck with them, but that is really the only positive thing about the experience. They found me complicated routings (that I requested, obviously ), dealt with my know-it-all attitude, and overall were worth the booking fee.

That is all. The rest still pisses me off
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:35 pm
QNX

I am switching .. ! gotta burn my 2,3M miles first..

Switching CCs too
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Braindrain
No surprise.

As news of mini-RTW becomes mainstream (and FT'ers happily giving that info to reporters), what else could you expect?

Yes, it's become the next MHD debacle...
+1
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
+1
Could someone enlighten me on the MHD debacle?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Remember UA PremEx (AC Elite equivalent) earn 100% mileage bonus on UA, US, AC, CO and LH flights compared to 50% for AC Elites.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braindrain
No surprise.

As news of mini-RTW becomes mainstream (and FT'ers happily giving that info to reporters), what else could you expect?

Yes, it's become the next MHD debacle...
Exactly......
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we elect another(minority,Conservative,Liberal...) government ,is everyone leaving,again?

Things change in life, always will.This points issue is not going to upset my world.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by acysb87
If we elect another(minority,Conservative,Liberal...) government ,is everyone leaving,again?

Things change in life, always will.This points issue is not going to upset my world.
How about the Habs not making it to round 2? Would that upset your world? It would mine!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
How about the Habs not making it to round 2? Would that upset your world? It would mine!
Now we are talking serious.Habs need to win games 2-3-and 4 of this series before worrying about round 2.

I am a huge Habs fan,BTW
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu

No ranko, i totally disagree with that...........i tried looking for flights again, both online and at UA's ticketing office in SIN.....UA's bloody system shows no availability on business class for both UA and *A partners for this summer and into next year... even SIN-HKG....it shows nothing except UA flights..... so, if StarNet blocking is disabled, why couldnt i find SQ availability similar to AC and NH?

long story short ranko.....some of us are Premier, Premier Exec...and we see nothing....

Last edited by global happy traveller; Apr 16, 2011 at 7:18 am
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:07 am

This is what I see searching for UA flights

"We could not find Saver award seats on our online Star Alliance partners (Continental Airlines, US Airways and Lufthansa). Please try a new search for alternate dates or call United Reservations (1-800-United-1) to explore additional options."

this is soo hillarious too, all my searches in J end up as standard rewards (no savers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.