FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   A/P News - Changes to Flt Reward Charts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1205816-p-news-changes-flt-reward-charts.html)

There yet? Apr 15, 2011 9:04 am

A/P News - Changes to Flt Reward Charts

Apologies if this has already been posted, but noticed under Aeroplan News today, looks like reward increases (* Alliance also) for flights after 15 Jul:
http://www1.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...754_2011_04_15

"Mileage levels for some flight rewards will increase on July 15, 2011. These changes represent an average increase of less than five per cent in the number of miles per flight reward for all ClassicFlight® (Air Canada) and Star Alliance flight rewards. In addition, Star Alliance flight reward mileage levels for certain travel zones have been reduced. Flight reward mileage level reductions are effective as of April 15, 2011* for new flight reward bookings.

Stranger Apr 15, 2011 9:09 am

"Properly" reflecting the devaluation of aeroplan miles.

BTW thsi mainly affects FF types. Mainly business class tickets that went up. From 40 to 50 k is not 5% BTW. More like 25% last time I counted.

Talk about spin.

Bad news actually.

TelFunku Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am

AE mile value just dropped 33%

pxy_a Apr 15, 2011 9:11 am

Originally Posted by There yet? (Post 16223561)
"Mileage levels for some flight rewards will increase on July 15, 2011. These changes represent an average increase of less than five per cent in the number of miles per flight reward for all ClassicFlight® (Air Canada) and Star Alliance flight rewards. In addition, Star Alliance flight reward mileage levels for certain travel zones have been reduced. Flight reward mileage level reductions are effective as of April 15, 2011* for new flight reward bookings.

Yikes. First class to Asia going from 120k --> 175k! That will put a crimp on the mini RTWs :-(

YOWkid Apr 15, 2011 9:11 am

Here's the press release...

Transmitted by CNW Group on : April 15, 2011 10:00

Aeroplan Enhances its Flight Reward Booking Tool and Makes Adjustments to Flight Reward Mileage Levels
MONTREAL, April 15 /CNW Telbec/ - Aeroplan today announced the recent introduction of several enhancements to its flight reward booking tool that will offer members more choice, greater flexibility and robust self-service functionality. Aeroplan also announced that it will be implementing revised flight reward mileage levels with an effective date of July 15, 2011 in an effort to simplify the program as well as to keep up with increases in the costs of providing flight rewards that have taken place over the years.

As part of its commitment to further members' overall flight reward redemption experience, Aeroplan has recently undergone a number of enhancements on its flight reward section on aeroplan.com and in its Contact Centre including:

- An improved flight reward booking tool that augments the search
capability and results visibility on both aeroplan.com and in
Aeroplan's Contact Centre, optimizing Aeroplan's use of the Star
Alliance network and providing its members with more route options,
more destinations, more flexible flying times and fewer connections;

- Access to last minute seats through the Last-Minute Travel Tool
showcasing available destinations for travel within the next 14 days
(displaying outbound availability within the next 14 days and inbound
availability within the next 28 days) on some of its members' most
popular routes at Classic mileage levels, making it easier to travel on
a whim;

- A new online calendar functionality that helps members easily view all
their flight reward availability at a glance including all economy and
business class options for both Air Canada and Star Alliance carriers.

These new functionalities follow the introduction of new products such as: Star Alliance Upgrade Rewards in which members can purchase a ticket using cash and then redeem miles on aeroplan.com to upgrade one flight segment to Business or First Class, and the addition of One-way ClassicFlight and Star Alliance Flight Rewards giving members greater flexibility and more reward options.

"With the aim to help members reach their ultimate travel goals and make the most of the Aeroplan journey, Aeroplan has invested significantly in the last year to provide members with a truly world class flight redemption experience from simple one-way flights on Air Canada and any of the 27 other Star Alliance member airlines to more complicated routings involving multiple countries and stop-overs," said David Klein, Vice President, Marketing & Innovation, Aeroplan. "With access to Air Canada and the Star Alliance member airlines and more than 21,000 daily departures to over 1,000 destinations in more than 175 countries worldwide, Aeroplan can take its members to virtually anywhere in the world they wish to visit."

Aeroplan has also reviewed its flight reward charts and is making adjustments to flight reward mileage levels. While this helps manage increases in the costs of providing flight rewards over the years, and simplifies the program by aligning the mileage levels required for travel with Air Canada and Star Alliance, David Klein explains that "Aeroplan continues to offer flight rewards that are still amongst the best value in the industry, with rewards starting as low as 10,000 miles for a short-haul one-way ClassicFlight reward in economy class. Aeroplan maintains its strong leadership position and value proposition relative to competitive alternatives." The adjustments represent an average increase of less than 5 per cent in the number of miles per reward for all ClassicFlight (Air Canada) and Star Alliance flight rewards. In addition, some travel zones have been reduced for reward flights on Star Alliance member airlines. Members will benefit from the reductions in reward mileage levels as of today for new flight reward bookings.

To access the revised Air Reward Charts, please visit: https://www.aeroplan.com/use_your_mi...eward_chart.do.

CloudsBelow Apr 15, 2011 9:20 am

brutal.
Please clarify - Increased levels are for BOOKINGS made after July 15th, right? or is it for flights after Jul 15th, irrespective of when the BOOKING is made??

Mileage Increase Alert: On July 15, 2011, the mileage level required for traveling between these two regions will increase to the amount shown.

300rwhp Apr 15, 2011 9:28 am

so I guess this means I need to plan my mini RTW and redeem for it before july 15. To confirm if I book a mini RTW prior to July 15, 2011 and travel some point prior to July 15, 2012 my flight will only cost 120000 pts?

If so I better get planning.

yycworldtraveler Apr 15, 2011 9:29 am

I wish I could say I'm suprised, but the proliferation of mini-RTW F awards has been costing Aeroplan a lot. I think many would agree that 120K for a mini-RTW F ticket was almost to good to be true.

Yukonprince Apr 15, 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler (Post 16223698)
I wish I could say I'm suprised, but the proliferation of mini-RTW F awards has been costing Aeroplan a lot. I think many would agree that 120K for a mini-RTW F ticket was almost to good to be true.

Indeed! Fortunately I was able to get the good deal while it lasted!

worldtraveller73 Apr 15, 2011 9:38 am

Lousy.

More people must be redeeming the awards in the 80-120 k mark, as those African awards have decreased from 240-210. such a deal (not).

rankourabu Apr 15, 2011 9:41 am

Of course!

Business to Asia goes up to 125,000, that is 25%,
Business to Europe2 goes up to 90,000, that is 12.5%,
Business to Australia/Oceania up to 135,000, that is 35%

Why am I not seeing 5%?

Aeroplan: FAIL.

yycworldtraveler Apr 15, 2011 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Yukonprince (Post 16223741)
Indeed! Fortunately I was able to get the good deal while it lasted!

Me too...I've done a bunch of them. Now I have to decide whether to book at least one more before July 15. I've really enjoyed all the First Class travel over the past few years...but it looks like my Asia adventures may move back a cabin to Business Class with the new award chart.

kaylla334 Apr 15, 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow (Post 16223654)
brutal.
Please clarify - Increased levels are for BOOKINGS made after July 15th, right? or is it for flights after Jul 15th, irrespective of when the BOOKING is made??

Mileage Increase Alert: On July 15, 2011, the mileage level required for traveling between these two regions will increase to the amount shown.

+1 please someone confirm that it is for BOOKINGS made after July 15th *pleasepleaseplease*

I'll bust a proverbial ..... if it's for all travels after July 15th even if I booked last year :mad:

Stranger Apr 15, 2011 10:01 am

Latest enhancement... :D

Repeat after me. We are mere suckers, not customers.

dave0823 Apr 15, 2011 10:03 am

And they consider this an "Enhancement" !!!