Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Moves to the International Terminal at SFO on May 4th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/newsletter/v111.html
Down the page under "This is a Gate Change Announcement"....

Been off the grid the past two weeks and missed this one - thankfully I was re-reviewing an upcoming itinerary and saw "Terminal I" instead of "Terminal 3".

Looks like AC is taking over Virgin's spot at the International Terminal, with CO moving over to Terminal 3 to be nice and snuggley with UA in a dedicated terminal for the two airlines as AA is moving to T2 with Virgin.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: *G
I guess that the move is related to the re-opening of T2. The International terminal is much closer if you are using the BART, but the biggest question is lounge access. Will AC make an arrangement with SQ to use their lounge that many preferred but was taken away?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It's a temporary move only though. The article in the link notes the following (bolding added is mine):

These changes clear the way to renovate the E boarding gates in Terminal 3 by the end of 2012. Once those gates are completed, Air Canada will move back to Terminal 3 and US Airways will also move to Terminal 3.
This way all of the North American Star Alliance partners are together “ under one roof,” with easy access to the International Terminal Boarding Area G. This will prove shorter and easier connections between Air Canada, United, and US Airways with their international Star Alliance partners: Air China, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana, Lufthansa, Singapore, and Swiss International Air Lines.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mugatu
Looks like AC is taking over Virgin's spot at the International Terminal.
I doubt that is the case since VX was in the south (A) pier with OW and ST carriers, a totally separate secure area. Most likely they will be in the north (G) pier which is essentially *A including some UA domestic flights. RCC and SKL are both there as is the nicest lounge of all at SFO, UA's IFL. Plus Pier G connects airside to T-3.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:13 pm

I had a UA to CO connection at SFO last week, so I walked along the new T2 to get from T3 to T1. Looks like a nice facility.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: AC E
Any idea if an AC J ticket can get into the IFL? Or will I be stuck with RCC as usual? Unfortunately the SKL isn't open at the right times for my flight.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:04 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
That's my question as well ! Will the Singapore Air Silver Kris Lounge be accommodating to the AC'ers???
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by klparrot
Any idea if an AC J ticket can get into the IFL?
Dream on.
There is a reason they call it the "First Class" Lounge.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
I doubt that is the case since VX was in the south (A) pier with OW and ST carriers, a totally separate secure area. Most likely they will be in the north (G) pier which is essentially *A including some UA domestic flights. RCC and SKL are both there as is the nicest lounge of all at SFO, UA's IFL. Plus Pier G connects airside to T-3.
Actually, the mid-day flights will be gated on International A due to congestion in International G. Passengers transferring from Int'l A to UA in T3 will be able to use the priority security at the Int'l G gates to get to the UA gates. It isn't an ideal set-up but it was the best option available for a temporary period. The morning and evening flights will be gated at International G (with access to the *A lounges and sterile connection to T3).

AC will however be using the former VX check-in counters at aisle 12. Overall, it's a definite facility upgrade from T3. ^
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ac-YUL
Actually, the mid-day flights will be gated on International A due to congestion in International G. Passengers transferring from Int'l A to UA in T3 will be able to use the priority security at the Int'l G gates to get to the UA gates.
Thank you very much for chiming in with accurate information - that is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Assuming that departing at 11.30 am is "mid-day" (no transfer), where does one enter? If using OLCI (or kiosk), will it be clear where to go? I assume that there is at least an RCC that will allow entry? (Of course that also assumes that the aircraft will be on time, which given weather issues in SFO, is a long shot).
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by fin 645
Thank you very much for chiming in with accurate information - that is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Assuming that departing at 11.30 am is "mid-day" (no transfer), where does one enter? If using OLCI (or kiosk), will it be clear where to go? I assume that there is at least an RCC that will allow entry? (Of course that also assumes that the aircraft will be on time, which given weather issues in SFO, is a long shot).
Flights between 1000-1600 will arrive/depart from Int'l A.

Boarding passes will indicate whether to enter on the A side or G side. Check-in will be centralized at aisle 12. Kiosks will be common-use - an added plus.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Boarding passes will indicate whether to enter on the A side or G side. Check-in will be centralized at aisle 12. Kiosks will be common-use - an added plus.
Will baggage be picked up on the carousels that VX used to use as well? (i.e. the carousels in that awkward room on the ground floor)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by D582
Will baggage be picked up on the carousels that VX used to use as well? (i.e. the carousels in that awkward room on the ground floor)
Yes, that's the plan.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AC*SE

Yuck. Getting split between A and G really sucks (not only for lack of lounge access in A but also for walking distance from BART).

Anybody know if priority security will be available at both A and G checkpoints for *G and J PAX?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry, I thought I had read that somewhere in my research yesterday but I can't see to find the link that supports my statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.