Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are you willing to pay the person in front not to recline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you willing to pay the person in front not to recline?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YULMrBean
What would you consider to be a fair rate for this service?
First off, apologies in advance for actually answering the question

I would argue the fair rate is probably what United charges for E+ upgrade on a given route.

I recently flew DCA -> ORD -> YVR on united, and the E+ surcharge was $88 USD for the 6.5 hours in the air.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by ninerfan
It would for me, I am not a recliner most of the time anyway, for 200 bucks id stand the whole time.
Agreed. It's kind of funny because I normally wouldn't think of flying non-flat bed on a TATL flight but on longer domestic flights like YYZ-YYC or YVR I don't care about flying in Y and I never recline my seat even when the person in front of me does and I'm 6'3".
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Why? Kids shouldn't be comfortable?
No, it's because every time I've had this happen (only a few) the seat has been cranked back and then the kid pulled the tray down and played with toys on it or something similar. Their back never touched the seat back, hence there was no need to put the seat back.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Not only would I not ask someone to NOT recline, I would think it was pathetic for someone to offer to pay me.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:03 pm
FB_

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by xray
Not only would I not ask someone to NOT recline, I would think it was pathetic for someone to offer to pay me.
But if they did would you take it? $100 $200 $300...Whats your price.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have never reclined a seat unless I am in a pod on a TPAC or TATL flight. i think you need to be courteous to those behind you and those that recline into me on short haul flights find that I go to the bathroom every 15 minutes and I pull myself up on their seat and on the way in I hold their seat and bug them as much as possible.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Z-man
I have never reclined a seat unless I am in a pod on a TPAC or TATL flight. i think you need to be courteous to those behind you and those that recline into me on short haul flights find that I go to the bathroom every 15 minutes and I pull myself up on their seat and on the way in I hold their seat and bug them as much as possible.
The hills are alive,
With the sound of . . .
hypocrisy!

La, la, la, la, la.

Yeah, you sure sound courteous alright. All I can suggest is that you don't try this stunt with me. Generally, after you're warned a few times by the FA, you wind up getting met by the police upon landing.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
Whereas my back and, particularly, my neck will hurt if don't recline. Just because you prefer not use the recline doesn't mean that everyone does. And, sorry, it doesn't make me, "not nice," if I do recline -- it's unfortunate if a regular coach seat does provide you with sufficient room, but it's unreasonable to assume that I'll undertake physical discomfort for your benefit when you had other options available to you. You're the one with the special need, and it's your responsibility to accommodate it -- not mine.
Pardon my chuckle, especially after your use of calling someone else a hypocrite, but you just said your back and neck condition requires your seat to recline, but somehow my long legs are a "special need"? You also have other seating options to partake of. My legs are a natural condition, not a medical condition like your bad back, so maybe you should be the one paying for J then?@:-)
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: AP*SE SPG-PLAT
I never properly responded to the ......... behind me who would kick and curse everytime i attempted to recline. I am 6'4 and sometimes need a bit extra room.

Is it a right for every pax to be able to recline? or is its solely up to the guy behind?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by zsm1928
Is it a right for every pax to be able to recline? or is its solely up to the guy behind?
Of course it is, except during take-offs and landings, or if the seat is broken or not recline-able.

Even during meal time. If I decide to recline and sleep, no one can make me put my seat back upright when I want to recline. My sleep is as important as the meal of the pax behind me. Since this is my seat, I have control.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:56 am

the only time i was assaulted on a TPAC flight for reclining.... the FA ended up teaching that pax how to be kind and say "please"..... you have to see her facial expression of trying to say "please"..... looks worse than forcing a bitter pill in her mouth.

perhaps if they make the legrooms any shorter they might as well fix shell the seat altogether......
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
I never properly responded to the ......... behind me who would kick and curse everytime i attempted to recline. I am 6'4 and sometimes need a bit extra room.

I agree, I pay for a seat with a certain amount of recline. If the recline is such a great problem for you then don't fly with that airline or fly at the front of the bus. I fly transatlantic fairly often and I've had knees pushed into my back more than once, but when you turn around and look its often somebody who wants their recline and to slouch down and take my space too. I'd like to say I took the high road, but a few cycles of straightening the seat back and reclining at speed normally cures the problem.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanJ
Pardon my chuckle, especially after your use of calling someone else a hypocrite, but you just said your back and neck condition requires your seat to recline, but somehow my long legs are a "special need"? You also have other seating options to partake of. My legs are a natural condition, not a medical condition like your bad back, so maybe you should be the one paying for J then?@:-)
The standard equipment, i.e. a seat with a recline button, is all that I need. There's a reason why that button controls my seat, and not the seat in front of it. I don't require any accommodations from strangers to fly. When I book seats, I use seatguru.com to ensure that I don't wind up in a non-reclining seat.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a, "right," in the legal sense. However, it is not, in the least, up to the person behind you whether or not you recline.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by soconn
I pay for a seat with a certain amount of recline. If the recline is such a great problem for you then don't fly with that airline or fly at the front of the bus.
Sure, but that wasn't the question. I'm not the OP, but I find the question interesting.

If you were flying transcon, what would YOUR price be to not recline. $50? $250? $1000? $5000? If the person behind you spoke to you with a wad of cash, what would your number be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.