Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC gives notice it will end its Dayton-to-Toronto nonstop flights on 1st May

Old Mar 31, 11, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

http://m.daytondailynews.com/dayton/...ex=2&pn=0&ps=8

DAYTON ó Air Canada has given notice that it will end its Dayton-to-Toronto nonstop flights on May 1, costing Dayton International Airport its only direct, scheduled commercial service to an international destination.

Terrence Slaybaugh, Daytonís director of aviation, said Thursday that Air Canada has chosen to concentrate instead on the direct service it has been offering since May 2010 from Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport to Toronto. The service from Cincinnati is aboard 50-seat regional jet aircraft, compared with the 19-seat Beechcraft 1900 turboprop planes Air Canada is flying from Dayton, which gives the airline more seat capacity at a time when increasing fuel prices are prompting carriers to eliminate some flights.
Old Mar 31, 11, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
soooo... to interpret that, the only people that were flying this route were on cheap ex-USA transatlantic AC fares, and the flight made no money on its own?
Old Mar 31, 11, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
The service from Cincinnati is aboard 50-seat regional jet aircraft, compared with the 19-seat Beechcraft 1900 turboprop planes Air Canada is flying from Dayton, which gives the airline more seat capacity at a time when increasing fuel prices are prompting carriers to eliminate some flights.[/i]
I have never, ever seen a reference to CRJ flights being beneficial to an airline in times of high fuel prices!!??
These PR spin doctors will think of anything to justify their decisions . . . how about Dayton couldnt fill a daily 19 seat plane profitably. Sorry
Old Apr 1, 11, 1:40 am

Programs: AC
I've taken this flight a few times, never terribly busy but it really came in handy for me. Oh well!