Wiki Posts
Search

AC 57 "U" turn over Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
AC 57 "U" turn over Pacific

Anyone know what happened to AC 57 tonight - made a U turn an hour out and returned to YVR.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Reviewed the LiveATC recording archive and no clues there. Sounded all normal from handoff to tower through taxi instructions.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC*E, PriorityClubPlat, Hertz Gold
hmmm

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA57
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: FOTSG
No details in the system (that I can see). Just a simple airborne return for maintenance. Because it was just a standard return I'd suspect that it was something that couldn't be MEL'd due to the ETOPS crossing.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jazzed69
No details in the system (that I can see). Just a simple airborne return for maintenance. Because it was just a standard return I'd suspect that it was something that couldn't be MEL'd due to the ETOPS crossing.

In part answer to my own question:

Flightstats show 1st departure at 4.15 then "re directed" at 5.15 followed by "diverted" with arrival back in YVR at 5.56 and 2nd departure to OGG at 8.15.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by AC854
In part answer to my own question:

Flightstats show 1st departure at 4.15 then "re directed" at 5.15 followed by "diverted" with arrival back in YVR at 5.56 and 2nd departure to OGG at 8.15.
AC57 first departed at 1610 and returned to YVR at 1755. It was then delayed until 1945 (awaiting first available inbound 763), then actually departed again at 1958 (airborne at 2016).

It appears that the return to YVR was due to an engine snag of some sort.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:09 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.2/Diamond - Amadeus Operational Info: AC 57/23 Mar 2011]
Code:
AIR CANADA - AC 57

[Planned Flight Info]
YVR-OGG         16:15/Wed - 19:20/Wed  06:05

[Flight Notes]
YVR-OGG         DEPARTS TERMINAL M
YVR-OGG         MCT FLIGHT TRACKING I/D
YVR-OGG         ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE

[Operational Flight Info]
YVR      16:10  LEFT THE GATE
YVR      -      PLANE IS EARLY IN HOURS MINUTES
YVR      -      AIRCRAFT DEFECTS
OGG      22:50  ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:59 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Mechanical situation that caused a return to YVR and an aircraft change
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Are these old 767s just unreliable? There seem to be a number of instances of mechanicals on these Hawaii flights. Not sure I'd book on these as they seem to rarely operate to schedule.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was on a US 767 flying out of SJU in January and the same thing happened but the cpt came on and said it was due to the NAV system. They never fixed it after we landed so we took an extensive route over land (I think it was DR, Bahamas and the coast of Florida), so what should have been a 3:05 flight to PHL turned into 4:20 in the air once we took off the second time...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Are these old 767s just unreliable? There seem to be a number of instances of mechanicals on these Hawaii flights. Not sure I'd book on these as they seem to rarely operate to schedule.
There is no reliability problem with these aircraft, as far as I can tell.

For example, I pulled the stats on YVR-HNL, and of the 82 operations year-to-date, only 5 had a delay of greater than 30 minutes. Sounds pretty good to me.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ac-YUL
There is no reliability problem with these aircraft, as far as I can tell.

For example, I pulled the stats on YVR-HNL, and of the 82 operations year-to-date, only 5 had a delay of greater than 30 minutes. Sounds pretty good to me.

A further review of flightstats shows:

AC 49 67% of total flights delayed for average delay 73 minutes

AC 57 43% of total flights delayed for average delay 49 minutes

AC 47 51% of total flights delayed for average delay 45 minutes.

I know averages are not always a true representation and I certainly want safety as "job 1" (partucularly since I take AC 47 & 49 3 or 4 times a year.
However, these three Hawaiian flights do seem to have a good share of delays and several this year alone have experienced delays of many hours. I often wonder if the maintenance folk put the aircraft on these trips at the bottom of their "to do" list (the arguement being they are only vacaction flights etc). From my view point AC must be making very good money on Hawaii given virtually all flights are full and (with some exceptions) the tickets are very expensive.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:50 am

ac-yul & AC854...

Is one of you checking departure stats and the other arrival stats?
Seasonal headwinds and deicing can change an on time departure to a late arrival.
It's easy for the crew to release the brakes at the gate to show an ontime departure. (I mean to get the payroll clock ticking.)
Harder to do at the arrival end.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:41 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by AC854
A further review of flightstats shows:

AC 49 67% of total flights delayed for average delay 73 minutes

AC 57 43% of total flights delayed for average delay 49 minutes

AC 47 51% of total flights delayed for average delay 45 minutes.

I know averages are not always a true representation and I certainly want safety as "job 1" (partucularly since I take AC 47 & 49 3 or 4 times a year.
However, these three Hawaiian flights do seem to have a good share of delays and several this year alone have experienced delays of many hours. I often wonder if the maintenance folk put the aircraft on these trips at the bottom of their "to do" list (the arguement being they are only vacaction flights etc). From my view point AC must be making very good money on Hawaii given virtually all flights are full and (with some exceptions) the tickets are very expensive.
The maintenance team does not prioritize the aircraft at the bottom of the list just because it's a leisure flight; if something needs to be fixed then it would be.

Now I don't know what flightstats' criteria are for measuring delays; I glanced at AC047 YVR-HNL for 2011 so far and I see less than 10 delays that are delayed for 30 mins or more out of 84 operations so far - certainly not the 51% that's showing above. There are some 15-20 minutes delays but that're not uncommon for a flight of this duration with winter headwinds as I also see some flights that have landed as much as 50 mins early. If they're using 'average' delays, then one also needs to remember if there's a flight with a significant delay (as we did on Jan 4 - 10+ hours) then that would drag the average up overall. All I am trying to say is let's put things in perspective and not assume the whole route is bad or aircraft are unreliable based on a a few delays out of the hundreds of flights that we operate daily.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:51 pm

The three amigos are not the oldest 763s that AC flies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.