Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk Cares: Seeking donations for Alberta Cancer Foundation's Underwear Affair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk Cares: Seeking donations for Alberta Cancer Foundation's Underwear Affair

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

I'll be brief but having received approval from FT Community Director SanDiego1K I'm posting to solicit donations for an upcoming event here in Edmonton. The Underwear Affair is a fundraiser being held on 18th June, 2011to help uncover the cure for underfunded below-the-waist cancers like prostate, ovarian, and colorectal and funds raised in the fun 5K walk or competitive 10K run go to the Alberta Cancer Foundations which oversees cancer research, prevention, treatment and care by generating community investment for Alberta's coordinated research strategy, the Cross Cancer Institute, Tom Baker Cancer Centre and 15 other cancer centres throughout the province. I'm taking part with my sister in the 5K walk and each participant is encouraged to seek donations and that's why I'm here posting. There are likely few families who haven't been touched by cancer and mine is no different so this is the very least I can do to raise funds and awareness while having a fun day out with the extended family & friends.

The event is a little different, quirky and slightly risqué as runners and walkers are encouraged to wear their underwear but hopefully it'll be warm enough by 18th June to allow that without possible frostbite. The scale of the fundraiser has grown and there will probaly be 1500 runners & walkers and last year in Edmonton a total of $848,000 was raised. ^ Sister events are also held in Ottawa, Vancouver & Calgary.

My personal donation page is here:

Personal Page URL: http://ed11.uncoverthecure.org/site/...nal&fr_id=1201

and any FTer that wishes to donation can use their credit card right from this site. You can also print a participant-specific hardcopy donation form should you wish to make a donation by cheque.

I know there are many charity appeals and we all try and donation what we can to worthy causes but I appreciate FT allowing me to make this appeal for this cause I've become involved with as I believe it's important and so do what I can. Thank you to any who choose to donate and thanks for allowing this non-AC/AP related thread in this forum I still call home.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Good on ya Mr. Cook! ^ Donation sent.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:26 am

A great cause that I'm happy to support. Good luck with the run.

However, I was amused by the "I don't want a tax receipt" tick box. Are there people who donate money who DON'T want the government to give some of it back to them?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
tcook52, good luck in the walk/run. Which one are you doing? Its a great cause and happy to help out. BTW, you met your goal but hopefully others will continue to contribute!

Originally Posted by rehoult
A great cause that I'm happy to support. Good luck with the run.

However, I was amused by the "I don't want a tax receipt" tick box. Are there people who donate money who DON'T want the government to give some of it back to them?
I was tempted to click that box as I am not sure I can use it on my US taxes.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neuron
tcook52, good luck in the walk/run. Which one are you doing?
I'm doing the 5K walk but might take on the run next year.

Thanks to all for their generous support and for making this a sticky.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
<like>

I will be contributing when I get to a secure PC (At the MLL at the moment).

Please take pictures of appropriate candidates. LOL!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Great, tcook! ^

Originally Posted by rehoult
Surprisingly quite a fair amount of number of people don´t want a receipt as they:

- don´t live / pay taxes in Canada
- can´t be bothered about a receipt for their $1/$5 donation
- know that for (very) small donations the associated cost of sending out receipts is higher than the donation itself
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:55 am

Isn't it a minimum of $20 of charitable donation to get a Canadian tax receipt
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Isn't it a minimum of $20 of charitable donation to get a Canadian tax receipt
Nope, according to the donation form it's $10.00.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
In certain cases, some Cdn charities are also registered in the US, and consequently, can be deducted from US filings. I do not now if the Alberta Cancer Foundation is registered in the US.

The donation receipt I got (from the Underwear Affair!) by email.
Old May 26, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Good on ya Mr. Cook! ^ Donation sent.
Ditto,

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

With only a day or so to go I thought I'd post an update to offer a HUGE thank you to all who donated as I was able to raise $1075.00 for the Alberta Cancer Foundation. I will post some pictures shortly but wanted to offer my appreciation for the generous donations and kind words offered to me and this worthy charitable cause.

Now, if I could order up some warmer weather as 14C isn't that warm to be walking around in your underwear...
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

A few pictures of the event which went off fine despite some weather issues earlier in the day.

Thanks again to all who donated! ^
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

The official numbers are out and 1,623 people dropped everything for underwear cancers raising an incredible $913,000! Completed the 5K walk in 53:38:47 at a comfortable walking pace with my sister so a fun event shared with family and all for a good cause. ^
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

The 2012 event for this annual fundraiser is coming up so thought I would bump this thread rather than start a whole new one. The '12 event website is here:

http://ed12.uncoverthecure.org/site/...=ed12_homepage

and my own personal homepage is here:

http://ed12.uncoverthecure.org/site/...nal&fr_id=1231

Any Flyertalkers who wish to make anonymous donations can do so online or you can choose to provide you name which I like more so I can thank everyone by name.

Once again thanks to those who opt to support this quirky but important cause here in Edmonton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.