Wiki Posts
Search

How Does Gate Upgrades Work?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
How Does Gate Upgrades Work?

Usually I've been upgraded 3-4 days out or see no seats in J so assume it won't clear closer to the date: no in between.

But I have a situation where it'll likely be 3-4 J available on a A333. Does it matter if I'm at the gate early? If they call my name and I'm not there will they give it away or when I go to board will they switch out my boarding pass and process the upgrade?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pkeung
Usually I've been upgraded 3-4 days out or see no seats in J so assume it won't clear closer to the date: no in between.

But I have a situation where it'll likely be 3-4 J available on a A333. Does it matter if I'm at the gate early? If they call my name and I'm not there will they give it away or when I go to board will they switch out my boarding pass and process the upgrade?

First, it's more and more the case that in the last few days beofre departure, upgrades do clear up.

Second, it now seems to be the case that the wait list gets transferred to the gate. So, it still may be the case that your upgrade will clear by the time you get there.

You need to be at the gate by the required time window. Otherwise, being there early/bothering the agent/gate lice behavior won't make a difference at all.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
Thanks for the quick response but that doesn't answer my question at all.

Scenario... boarding time for a 8:15pm flight is 7:40pm and I'm there. If for whatever reason I don't hear my name will I still be ok at 7:50pm when I go to board? Will they scan my boarding pass then a message pops up for them to know to upgrade me? Or have I missed it already?e.g. they called me but I never identified myself so 2mins later they upgrade the next person on the list?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:58 pm

Scenario... boarding time for a 8:15pm flight is 7:40pm and I'm there. If for whatever reason I don't hear my name will I still be ok at 7:50pm when I go to board? Will they scan my boarding pass then a message pops up for them to know to upgrade me? Or have I missed it already?e.g. they called me but I never identified myself so 2mins later they upgrade the next person on the list?
I've had it happen before where they exchanged my boarding pass when I was boarding. Other times, I've been called up. So long as you are there within the right time-frame for boarding, I don't think it would be normal for you to lose the upgrade just because they called your name out before you showed up. In a case like you describe, I would tend to get to the gate early nevertheless but I don't think there's any logical reason to get there early.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: lost all status during pandemic...

A couple years ago I had an upgrade clear and didn't hear my name (I guess it had been announced and I didn't hear it). Regardless, I just figured it didn't clear so went to board near the end of the boarding (I had been waiting) and when they scanned my boarding pass, a message must have popped up on the screen because she tore up my old one and scanned another boarding pass that was already printed for me with the upgrade.

So, at least in my case, I didn't miss out on the upgrade when I didn't approach the counter. Granted though - I have no idea if there where other eligable people waiting after me or what would have happened if I no-showed that flight...

j.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
I think with eUpgrades they should definitely not require you to be at the gate to complete your upgrade. In the past I have seen them pass people by for not being at the gate. With paper certs being on the list did not guarantee that you actually had the correct cert with you. The GA may want to validate the cert before actually completing the upgrade and if you are not there, they could not do that.

However, with op ups, I have had them clear without me being at the gate as there is nothing for them to validate.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
If you are waiting for an upgrade to clear at the gate, the GA will usually asks you to wait until he/she has cleared all availavle seats and requests. In other words close the flight. Sometimes this is done before boarding commences, other times not.
I like to stay within eye shot of the GA working to clear upgrades. That way I know when it is done.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
On two occassions last year I loitered out by the gate just in case....and in both of those cases a checked-into-J pax did not show, and I got the seat.

For what it is worth, I think that is worth doing too.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
it makes no difference

Andrew had said a while back you do not lose your upgrade if you don't hear your name. As long as you get on board before you are offloaded as a no-show you are fine.

Annoying the GA will do just that.

Last edited by lcohen999; Mar 7, 2011 at 8:20 am
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:40 pm

Does all of this apply to Aeroplan Reward Seats?
I have a YYT-SYD & HKG-YYT itinereay booked for 2 Business tickets but a couple of the shorter legs are economy as no Business was available.
Would I have a chance of being upgraded at the gate if nothing shows up before then?
All the economy legs are either UA or AC.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by glutenhab
Does all of this apply to Aeroplan Reward Seats?
I have a YYT-SYD & HKG-YYT itinereay booked for 2 Business tickets but a couple of the shorter legs are economy as no Business was available.
Would I have a chance of being upgraded at the gate if nothing shows up before then?
All the economy legs are either UA or AC.
You should check at the gate to be sure you're waitlisted to standby for J. You won't have priority, but you are entitled to a J seat -- at least on the AC segments. For UA it would be at the discretion of the GA.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not sure how the new system is working but for the past couple of years if one is awaiting an upgrade to clear ex-YYZ on an international flight, the lounge receptionists will hold onto your boarding pass and call you to the desk when it clears. They will get the list from the gate agents and do the actual process in the MLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.