FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Expiring 2 for 1's.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/11902-expiring-2-1s.html)

Dorian Apr 2, 2001 1:11 pm

Expiring 2 for 1's....

Once again I'm throwing away another 'buy one ticket and get another free' coupon (April 8).

Anyone ever use these things??? I think this is the 4th or 5th I've tossed?!!?!?

Dorian

------------------
The Global Lounge Project - open source airline lounge listings - managed by Dorian
flyers'places - restaurant, bar & hotel tips - managed by Catman, Shareholder, Rudi & Dorian
The Star Alliance RTW Price Chart - by Dorian
The Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart - by Blondebomber

BlondeBomber Apr 2, 2001 1:57 pm

Ooooh. Don't toss those things. I have a wife (and sometimes my friend) who will often use them when I go away on a trip. Can't use this one though. If it had been good for end of April (dates not firm yet), I would have had a taker. I think you can even use those for travel beyond the end of the validity, as long as you use it to buy your ticket by the end date. At least there is nothing on mine that says travel must be completed within the one year period (I think they used to say that).

Not upgradeable but hey, it's a free ride. Even if they have to sit in coach (don't worry, I let my wife sit up front), it is a good deal.

back seat Apr 2, 2001 1:58 pm

Aren't those transferable ?? If so and you don't have a "home" for it. . . .

[This message has been edited by back seat (edited 04-02-2001).]

BlondeBomber Apr 2, 2001 2:01 pm

Yes -- member or bearer of certificate can use
-- not so -- see below

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 04-02-2001).]

mykol Apr 2, 2001 2:07 pm

If anyone ever has any that can be used during the summer months, I will be glad to use them...I would actually get to see my wife (highschool teacher) during the week :-)

I'd offer a trade, but I quickly used all of my upgrade and other half-decent coupons.

Cheers,

Mykol

Andrew Yiu Apr 2, 2001 2:08 pm

Dorian: I'll gladly take it too and try to use it for travel beyond Apr 8...

Dorian Apr 2, 2001 2:17 pm

I debate the transferability of these...it is oddly worded...

Dorian

After Burner Apr 2, 2001 2:20 pm

Are you referring to Reward Code 0T03? I'm almost certain one of the two passengers must be the person named on the certificate.

Dorian Apr 2, 2001 2:31 pm

Yup...that is the one...and I agree...I would say I have to be one of the PAX.

Anyone booking any J travel outta Western Canada prior to April 8? Can I come?

Dorian

BlondeBomber Apr 2, 2001 2:31 pm

Somewhat confusing as that is the way I have always interpreted it in the past. But certificate is vague--maybe covering letter was clearer (don't have it any more)

Passenger Name says "MEMBER\BEARER OF CERTIFICATE".

"The name on this reward certificate must be the full legal name and must match the corresponding ticket" -- which may indicate After Burner is right? But that is what is on the back of every award certificate and the name is in the Passenger Name box. I guess your name has to be Member or Bearer of Certificate to use these! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 04-02-2001).]

After Burner Apr 2, 2001 2:43 pm

Here's the letter ...

Dear Mr. Burner,

It is my pleasure to congratulate you on reaching the Threshold Bonus level of 60,000 Qualifying Aeroplan miles. In appreciation of your support, we have enclosed your special Aeroplan reward certificate which entitles you to a companion ticket on any scheduled flight operated by Air Canada or an Air Canada Connector airline.

You may exchange your reward certificate for a companion ticket with the purchase of any Air Canada or Air Canada Connector airline ticket on any published adult fare. Please remember that you and your travelling companion must have the same travel routing, including origin, point of turnaround and connections. Flight number and flight dates may differ during the trip, however, you must travel together on at least one flight. This reward certificate is valid for one year from the date of issue.

Reservations for your companion ticket can be made by calling the Air Canada Reservations office. Ther telephone number is listed on the back of your membership card. Once reservations have been made, the certificate must be exchanged for a companion ticket at an Air Canada ticket counter.

I hope that you will be able to enjoy this reward and I thank you for your continued loyalty to Air Canada.

Sincerely,

Marc Trudeau

[This message has been edited by After Burner (edited 04-02-2001).]

BlondeBomber Apr 2, 2001 2:58 pm

When in doubt call the SE desk. They said the member name has to be on one of the tickets. So passenger name means the Member (me) and the Bearer of Certificate (travelling companion).

Trying to read to much into this I guess.

After Burner Apr 2, 2001 3:05 pm

You can also reverse that so that the companion is the paying passenger and you travel on the free ticket. That's how I plan to do it.

After Burner Apr 2, 2001 3:09 pm

When in doubt call the SE desk.
That only works if someone answers the phone. I've had limited success with the SE desk while the Elite number gets answered on the first ring.

BlondeBomber Apr 2, 2001 3:22 pm

hmm -- answered on first ring today. Maybe things are improving again.