Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets? (2011-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets? (2011-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Like others, I apologize for bringing this post back up, but I would rather do that than create a new thread. Anyway, I will be booking a reward ticket in Business as BOS-YUL-YHZ-YUL-EWR, and then purchasing a ticket back to BOS through United. If they can and will tag my bags back to Boston when I leave Halifax, will I end up having to pay the bag fee for the United flight? Would be kind of interesting to know that, and if the Priority Services tag would left on the bag or not.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by Triley
<snip>
Anyone?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:45 am

I'll apologise in advance if this isn't the right place to post but I have a similar question and it's been at least 10+ years since transiting through YUL. I've got one ticket SN-AC and then a separate ticket domestic USA on US Airways. If SN won't tag through all the way then i'm wondering if there's the ability to do this in YUL? I'm travelling from Europe-YUL-LGA all on AC and I know I need to go through customs etc at YUL so i'll have my bags with me. Would they retag the bag if I asked? Are there even agents there with bag tag printing abilities or just a conveyor belt to drop it off and continue on my merry way?

thanks alot
goodo
Old May 26, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Titanium
Next week I'm going to be flying YEG-YVR on AC and then YVR-HKG on CX, separate tickets. I'll report back how my attempts to get AC to check the bags all the way through work out.
Old May 26, 2014, 5:41 am
Suspended

Since AC cancelled the no check through rule, I have had no issues on AC or other airlines doing it. I do it a lot.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I had CA refuse a few days ago on a SHA-(CA)-PEK-(AC)-YYZ separate tickets.
Not sure why...
Old May 26, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: A3*G
ot: does any one have experience with TS, will they check through YUL - Europe - connection?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:42 am

Updated list of Air Canada's interline partners:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...codeshare.html

Air Canada's other airline partners

Air Canada also has what are called interline partnerships. An interline partnership allows two or more airlines to issue tickets on behalf of each other, while retaining the designator code of the other airline. Their purpose, again, is to facilitate travel for customers by allowing them to travel across the networks of multiple airlines with a single reservation in order to reach their final destination.

Here's a list of Air Canada's interline partners.

Star Alliance Interline Partners

Adria Airways (JP)
Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
ANA (NH)
Asiana Airlines (OZ)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
Avianca (AV)
Brussels Airlines (SN)
Copa Airlines (CM)
Croatia Airlines (OU)
EGYPTAIR (MS)
Ethiopian Airlines (ET)
EVA Air (BR)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
Lufthansa (LH)
Scandinavian Airlines (SK)
Shenzhen Airlines (ZH)
Singapore Airlines (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
SWISS (LX)
TAP Portugal (TP)
THAI (TG)
Turkish Airlines (TK)
United (UA)

Non-Star Interline Partners

The list below does not include our codeshare partners.

Aeroflot Russian Airlines (SU)
Aero Mexico (AM)
Air Creebec (YN)
Air Dolomiti (EN)
Air France (AF)
Air Mauritius (MK)
Air Pacific (FJ)
Air Tahiti Nui (TN)
Alaska Air (AS)
Alitalia (AZ)
American Airlines (AA)
Bearskin Airlines (JV)
Biman Bangladesh Airlines (BG)
Blue One (KF)
British Airways (BA)
Canadian North (5T)
Caribbean Airways (BW)
Cathay Pacific (CX)
Cayman Airlines (KX)
Central Mountain Air (9M)
China Airlines (CI)
China Southern Airlines (CZ)
Czech Air (OK)
Delta Airlines (DL)
Dragonair (KA)
Emirates (EK)
First Air (7F)
Garuda Indonesia (GA)
Germanwings (4U)
GOL (G3)
Gulf Air (GF)
Hawaiian Airlines (HA)
Iberia (IB)
Icelandair (FI)
JALways Airlines (JO)
Japan Airlines (JL)
Jet Airways (9W)
JetStar (JQ)
JetStar Asia (3K)
Kenya Airlines (KQ)
KLM (KL)
Korean Airlines (KE)
Kuwait Air (KU)
Lacsa (LR)
LAN Argentina (4M)
LAN Chile (LA)
LAN Colombia (4C)
LAN Ecuador (XL)
LAN Peru (LP)
Lapsa (PZ)
LIAT (LI)
Luxair (LG)
Malaysian Airlines (MH)
Pakistan (PK)
Philippine Airlines (PR)
Qatar Airways (QR)
Qantas Airways (QF)
Royal Jordanian (RJ)
Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV)
Sky Airline (H2)
Tunisair (TU)
Virgin Australia (VA)
Vietnam Airlines (VN)
Virgin Atlantic Airways (VS)
Wideroe (WF)
Yemenia Yemen Airways (IY)
Old May 14, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Interlining

I'm going to try to interline to AZ (connecting at MXP).

Couple of questions come up:

1. If the luggage goes walkies, which airline is responsible ? On a single ticket I have seen it to usually be the airline on which you flew the leg where you exited to find (no) luggage. In the case of interlining... will lost luggage fall between the cracks ? (not literally)

2. How would the interlining airline, AC, know or confirm my luggage allocation with AZ ? I assume I can't just check in my (3 bag) allowance with AC and have it interlined....

D.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I was wondering the same thing, how exactly do the baggage handlers take the bag and cross terminals with it? I assume it goes on the carousel like all the other bags, then what?

I have YYZ-LAX on AC then LAX-SYD on United 10hrs later on separate PNR's. So our bags should I choose to interline need to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 7 in LAX. Still unsure what to do. Nice to save the haul from 3 to 7 with luggage but risk no bags in SYD (and we are then connecting to BNE a few hours later).
Old May 14, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
When you check you bag through, it will have both flight numbers and handlers will have no problem identifying that it has to go on the LAX-SYD flight and route it accordingly. To luggage handling (operations) it will look exactly the same as if it were on a single ticket.

Having a single ticket doesn't improve your chances of actually having your luggage connect with you in my experience... (but that was to SLC, 3 times out of 3). Good luck!
Old May 14, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I've had no issues doing AC-AC, AC-AV, AC-UA and AC-AV. Though, I always have to have every piece of information possible, outside of the booking class. I needed to provide airport codes, flight numbers, destinations and then some ancillary stuff.

If you're experienced this is all very easy, and assuming you have a detailed itinerary. However for those in the crowd who don't know when they're on a codeshare or not, it's probably not gonna happen.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
No responses yet, Would be glad if anyone has any input on this....

- which airline is responsible when interlined luggage goes missing ?
- is the first carrier responsible for knowing/determining your checked baggage allowance with the second carrier ?

Originally Posted by dand99
I'm going to try to interline to AZ (connecting at MXP).

Couple of questions come up:

1. If the luggage goes walkies, which airline is responsible ? On a single ticket I have seen it to usually be the airline on which you flew the leg where you exited to find (no) luggage. In the case of interlining... will lost luggage fall between the cracks ? (not literally)

2. How would the interlining airline, AC, know or confirm my luggage allocation with AZ ? I assume I can't just check in my (3 bag) allowance with AC and have it interlined....

D.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:03 am

I'll tell you my experience, even if it's not with AC and slightly different. I was checking luggage in with SQ - flights were SQ-SQ-SK on one ticket connecting to LH on a separate ticket. Yes same alliance but still a separate ticket. Luggage went walkabout (likely in TXL between ticket 1 & 2) - LH was responsible for it.

As for luggage allowances, that's where it gets a bit more difficult. AC likely won't contact AZ to find out AZ's allowance, AC will just check you in with AC's allowance and assuming they will check all the way through, there will be no problems. Different allowances shouldn't matter if checked all the way through and you don't see your luggage again till arrival. I've checked luggage on separate tickets where first ticket was international C class, connecting to domestic Y on a separate ticket, and in another instance intl C connecting to intl Y. In both cases I was checking in for an intl C segment(s) and I was allowed the intl C allowance. The fact that it was more than the Y allowance never came up because I never saw my luggage till I arrived at the final destination so never dealt with the Y-class checkin people.

The issue, well not exactly an issue, but an issue can occur, lets say on the return, AZ might allow 2 suitcases, and you have status with AC that allows you 3. AZ won't care what AC lets you have, and they won't call to verify what AC allows, especially since it's a separate ticket. So AZ will give you AZ's allowance. Probably easier to make your point of the higher allowance if connecting onto AC gives you higher allowance due to higher class, as opposed to status. Even then, AZ can and will most likely still enforce it's own allowance.

Hope that helps.
goodo
Old May 15, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by travel agent
ot: does any one have experience with TS, will they check through YUL - Europe - connection?
Doubt it. TS is a charter airline, so I'm not sure they'll have any access to being able to tag through at all. Charters are meant for point-to-point travel, nothing more. You can ask, but I don't even think you'll get a no, you'll get a blank stare for a while.

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I was wondering the same thing, how exactly do the baggage handlers take the bag and cross terminals with it? I assume it goes on the carousel like all the other bags, then what?

I have YYZ-LAX on AC then LAX-SYD on United 10hrs later on separate PNR's. So our bags should I choose to interline need to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 7 in LAX. Still unsure what to do. Nice to save the haul from 3 to 7 with luggage but risk no bags in SYD (and we are then connecting to BNE a few hours later).
Depends on the airport, I think airports knowing this would be a situation would be prepared for this, but in other cases, they may have no facilities to do it. You won't see a ramp agent driving all the way across terminal to terminal to deliver 1 bag. So if there's no belts, it's not going to happen. The check-in agent likely would have no idea either, so it's a risk that the bag might not get dealt with well/promptly, or there's a chance that the bag could just get dumped off at arrivals and you've already walked to the other terminal.

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
When you check you bag through, it will have both flight numbers and handlers will have no problem identifying that it has to go on the LAX-SYD flight and route it accordingly. To luggage handling (operations) it will look exactly the same as if it were on a single ticket.

Having a single ticket doesn't improve your chances of actually having your luggage connect with you in my experience... (but that was to SLC, 3 times out of 3). Good luck!
True, however as I've said in other posts, the more stops/connections you make, the worse your odds get. Every time someone needs to handle your bag it's just another chance for a problem. The other concern with number of stops is baggage tags can only hold 3 cities. So if you're going say, YVR-LAX-DEN-IAH (1 tag) -BOG-MDE, you're asking for it. Now you've got 2 tags, any decent rampie can read this, but there's always a chance it goes awry, but you're also running the risk one tag gets torn off, if that's the BOG-MDE tag suddenly your bag LOOKS LIKE YVR-LAX-DEN-IAH and there's not really any way to tell it should be continuing on.

Last edited by drvannostren; May 15, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.