Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC updated their policy in 2022 relating to baggage interline on seperate tickets. The policy is:

Baggage Through-Check on Separate Tickets

As per IATA recommendations, Air Canada will follow suit with our airline partners and, effective immediately, we will no longer offer the ability to through-check customers and/or baggage to the destinations of the second ticket, except in the following scenarios:
  1. Purchase individual Air Canada (014) tickets.
  2. Purchase individual tickets from Pacific Coast (8P) or Air North (4N)
  3. An approved and documented regulatory or legal exception on the customer's file
  4. During irregular operations, two tickets were issued as a result of a single coupon reissue (including Air Canada to Other Airlines)
    • For instance, a customer may have an original YUL-AC-YYZ-LH-FRA ticket that has been reissued due to IROP on two tickets: YUL-AC-YYZ on AC (014) and YYZ-LH-FRA single coupon reissued on LH (220).
There are a mix of data points inconsistent with this policy, so YMMV.

Notwithstanding this policy, data points continue to be inconsistent.

Print Wikipost

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Oh, a recent data point - AC would not through-check my bags YVR-SFO-DXB (AC then EK) on a recent trip even though both tickets were on 014 stock (cash, and then an AP redemption).

YVR has Pre-Clearance, so technically that would be possible.
HHmmm...

I have an upcoming AC flight YOW-YYZ (Cash) connecting to YYZ-CAI-FCO on MS (Aeroplan ticket so ticketed on 014 stock).

The rules say this is possible to check a bag through on these separate tickets, but roastpuff had a different outcome.

Maybe it will just be carry-on. Or be prepared to re-check at YYZ just in case.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Plumber
HHmmm...

I have an upcoming AC flight YOW-YYZ (Cash) connecting to YYZ-CAI-FCO on MS (Aeroplan ticket so ticketed on 014 stock).

The rules say this is possible to check a bag through on these separate tickets, but roastpuff had a different outcome.

Maybe it will just be carry-on. Or be prepared to re-check at YYZ just in case.
It will be a recheck at YYZ
Old May 2, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
Air Canada / Qatar Airways Baggage

If I have a flight with AC YYZ to YUL and then with Qatar from YUL to DOH, separate PNR's; will AC's baggage agreement with Qatar allow for them to check my bags all the way through? Or will I absolutely have to pick them up at YUL and re-check?
Old May 2, 2023, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bennyg2
If I have a flight with AC YYZ to YUL and then with Qatar from YUL to DOH, separate PNR's; will AC's baggage agreement with Qatar allow for them to check my bags all the way through? Or will I absolutely have to pick them up at YUL and re-check?
It's not a question of AC's interline with QR so much as whether AC will do it. I've merged your question with the existing thread on this subject, but the short answer is it's unlikely due to recent changes in AC policy. Scroll up for more.
bennyg2 likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Success!

I am flying today on two separate tickets, YEG to YYC on Air Canada, and YYC-ORD-DCA on United, both award tickets fwiw. I'm happy to report that the agent at the YEG check in counter was able to check my bags through to DCA, no muss no fuss. She cheerfully accepted the request, tyoed in the connecting flight info, and said "let's see if the system lets me do this" and it did. I note that the UA flights were both AC codeshares, I'm not sure if that facilitated things. But whatever the reason I was pleasantly surprised. And it's nice to have a happy datapoint to report for once!
Old May 21, 2023, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
I am flying today on two separate tickets, YEG to YYC on Air Canada, and YYC-ORD-DCA on United, both award tickets fwiw. I'm happy to report that the agent at the YEG check in counter was able to check my bags through to DCA, no muss no fuss. She cheerfully accepted the request, tyoed in the connecting flight info, and said "let's see if the system lets me do this" and it did. I note that the UA flights were both AC codeshares, I'm not sure if that facilitated things. But whatever the reason I was pleasantly surprised. And it's nice to have a happy datapoint to report for once!
With this new datapoint it appears that AC system
still allows agents to do this, just depends whether or not you get an agent that doesn’t know the policy, or is willing to break it.

Good news
Old May 21, 2023, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
With this new datapoint it appears that AC system
still allows agents to do this, just depends whether or not you get an agent that doesn’t know the policy, or is willing to break it.
Or, the reported policy has changed (again) ...
Old May 25, 2023, 7:39 pm

more background info please?

like service class and elite status?
Old May 25, 2023, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jackkyxu
more background info please?

like service class and elite status?
25K, 2 separate award tickets in Y, YEG-YYC operated by and ticketed by AC, YYC-ORD-DCA operated and ticketed by United. As noted above, all three flights were AC/UA codeshares, however the bagtag listed the operating flight numbers only, i.e. AC, UA, UA, so I have no way of knowing whether the codeshare status was relevant.
Old May 26, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
25K, 2 separate award tickets in Y, YEG-YYC operated by and ticketed by AC, YYC-ORD-DCA operated and ticketed by United. As noted above, all three flights were AC/UA codeshares, however the bagtag listed the operating flight numbers only, i.e. AC, UA, UA, so I have no way of knowing whether the codeshare status was relevant.
How could they have been codeshares if both tickets were awards?
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris
How could they have been codeshares if both tickets were awards?
What I mean to say is that I could have booked the entire itinerary through either AC (with AC flight numbers) or through UA (with UA flight numbers). However I could never get a price that I liked -- either in cash or award miles -- which is why I wound up breaking the itinerary into 2 separate tickets.

Perhaps this fact is not relevant, I mentioned it only for thoroughness, as a factor that might have distinguished my situation from the above reports of people not being able to through-check.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So... you didn't book codeshares.
TheViperOne likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So... you didn't book codeshares.
No, I didn't book codeshares, and didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I simply wondered whether the fact that I could have booked the flights as codeshares might have affected the ability or willingness of AC to through-check, in comparison to others' negative reports above.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
Passing Luggage between 2 itineraries. Air Canada to Turkish

I have a flight coming up on Air Canada from YYZ to IST through FRA and once I get to IST I have another flight on a separate itinerary going from IST to BJV on Turkish. Im trying to find out if I can have Air canada pass the luggage through to BJV so I don't have to worry about making my connecting flight in Istanbul. Any idea's if I can do this at the airport when I start my flights in YYZ.

All Business Class
1st itinerary
YYZ to FRA Air Canada
FRA to IST Lufthansa

Business Class
2nd Itinerary
IST to BJV Turkish
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ruiz Tubbs AC Traveller, welcome to Flyertalk.

As the first airline involved is AC, we'll move this to the AC forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.