Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisA330
AC updated their policy in 2022 relating to baggage interline on seperate tickets. The policy is:

Baggage Through-Check on Separate Tickets

As per IATA recommendations, Air Canada will follow suit with our airline partners and, effective immediately, we will no longer offer the ability to through-check customers and/or baggage to the destinations of the second ticket, except in the following scenarios:
  1. Purchase individual Air Canada (014) tickets.
  2. Purchase individual tickets from Pacific Coast (8P) or Air North (4N)
  3. An approved and documented regulatory or legal exception on the customer's file
  4. During irregular operations, two tickets were issued as a result of a single coupon reissue (including Air Canada to Other Airlines)
    • For instance, a customer may have an original YUL-AC-YYZ-LH-FRA ticket that has been reissued due to IROP on two tickets: YUL-AC-YYZ on AC (014) and YYZ-LH-FRA single coupon reissued on LH (220).
There are a mix of data points inconsistent with this policy, so YMMV.

Notwithstanding this policy, data points continue to be inconsistent, and
Print Wikipost

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mmkhalid
My first time posting - need some direction. I have an upcoming flight on Nov 04 via AC YYZ - DOH (book via Aeroplan) and on a separate ticket, QA DOH - LHE (booked directly with QA). Time between two flights is about 4 hours. After booking tickets, I called AC (on Oct/21) and the agent on the phone advised that AC will be able to through-check the baggage - I made the agent note on the ticket/file. After reading the above few posts, I am a bit concerned that the baggage might not be through-check specially because Qatar has suspended visas due to FIFA World Cup. Can someone please advise if I have a good chance of baggage being through-check as the agent on the phone advised despite the policy above?
The chances of your bag being checked thru are zero.
They couldnt even get a bag checked thru on a 014 single PNR AC->QR connection because of a long layover and an after midnight departure technically 2 days after leaving YYZ. It took a while to find a supervisor who could finally make it work. And even then he only said it worked because it's the same PNR as of new policy.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Unsurprisingly, this isn’t being implemented consistently. Just tried to tax a bag through on 2 AC PNR’s from LAX (Revenue flight to YVR, reward hop to the island) and the agent said they no longer do that as of a few weeks ago. Which I interpreted as “I don’t want to”….

So, as always, the truth is in the middle. There was a policy change, but my flights would have qualified. So, a little I don’t want to, mixed with a dab of lack of knowledge.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I can understand AC not wanting to do this for everyone and there are issues that can be created as a result (for example, a baggage fee on the next airline that needs to be paid because pax has no entitlement). However they should have flexibility to do this for *G connecting to *A flights (which is what UA does for example)

You can also have a singular PNR with multiple tickets (for each carrier), so I'm not sure how they are handling that either.

Originally Posted by folkart
I spoke to a Concierge today who said AC has discontinued all checking through of baggage to other airlines on a separate ticket. For me this makes things difficult as I often use AC Flight Passes and then connect to another airline to continue to destinations AC doesn't fly. This would mean you would need to go through customs, retreive your baggage and recheck it making tighter connections impossible. He said it doesn't matter if Star Alliance or not. Anyone know more on this.
Send your feedback in. I would also send a note directly to the Flight Pass team as FP-specific feedback. If this policy change would cause people to no longer buy a FP, they likely want to know.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 1, 2022 at 6:46 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: AC
Thank you everyone who replied to my post - it really helped!. I ended up changing the travel plans and booked a J seat on Etihad YYZ-AUH-LHE
Old Dec 10, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Successful AC-AC through check baggage international to transborder

The title says it. Origin is a European airport and the destination is in US.

The checkin agent (not AC, contractual I believe) was confused and initially said not possible on separate tickets. After she made a few phone calls, a concierge came in and did it for her. Took half an hour because the system was confused by my immigration status, but it eventually got resolved.

So it is still possible (as per the current policy) for an AC-AC interline, but do not expect it always goes smoothly especially in an outstation.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:07 pm

AC interline bag on separate tickets?

Just checked into AC98 YUL-BOG. Have a connecting flight (separate ticket) on Avianca BOG-CTG. Check in agent says AC no longer interlines separate ticket bags anymore. Anyone know if this is official policy? Bummer
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:23 pm

News to me, but it's hard to HUCA at the check in counter.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
News to me, but it's hard to HUCA at the check in counter.
my thoughts exactly. And it’s not very 2022 (almost 2023) to demand to speak to the manager…
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Just checked into AC98 YUL-BOG. Have a connecting flight (separate ticket) on Avianca BOG-CTG. Check in agent says AC no longer interlines separate ticket bags anymore. Anyone know if this is official policy? Bummer
Moderator note: merged with existing thread on this topic.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Ib was told the same at YYC the other day. AC to LH, no they no longer do this anymore. Too many problems.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Will AC check bags through on separate PNRs

I have a friend who is travelling SYD-YVR-YYC but the YVR-YYC sector is on a separate PNR to the SYD-YVR one - will the agent check her bag through and provide a boarding pass for the separate sector (departing 2.5 hours after arriving in YVR).

You may ask why did she book her trip like this - well she wanted SYD-YVR-YYC then YVR-SYD back home as required by a tour she is taking. Booking SYD-YVR-SYD then YVR-YYC separately was almost $1000 cheaper on a PE fare than booking it as on open-jaw.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE
Yes. Simply mention at check-in that you're continuing to YYC and they should be able to check in both legs and the bag will go through all the way. They've even done this for me on a different ticket on Air France. Meant that I could take 3 bags on an AF economy ticket...
pschafer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K
There's a separate thread on this topic.

AC's rules have changed, and it seems as though they will only check baggage if AC has issued both PNRs, even then, I wouldn't count on it
Old Jan 6, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Ok thanks - in this case both segments / PNRs were booked on the AC website so hopefully AC will check bags through. Do you think it would help to call AC in advance and ask them to link the PNRs? Departing from SYD the check-in staff would be contract agents not AC staff.

My friend (actually 2 friends travelling together) are not very experienced travellers and it would be good if this was possible so as to smooth their entry into Canada (first time for both of them).
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC SE (P); Marriott Plat; Accor Plat; KQ Plat
PNR cannot be linked in advance but during checkin. They need to checkin for the first PNR but not be second one and the agent at the airport will be able to link the PNRs and check the bags through the final destination. Make sure to verify the bag tag with the agent so that the correct rooting is displayed.

They did it for me 2 days ago. Admittedly, it was very smooth because Concierge did this even before I arrive at the airport right after I checked in for my first leg on the app.
pschafer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.