Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC updated their policy in 2022 relating to baggage interline on seperate tickets. The policy is:

Baggage Through-Check on Separate Tickets

As per IATA recommendations, Air Canada will follow suit with our airline partners and, effective immediately, we will no longer offer the ability to through-check customers and/or baggage to the destinations of the second ticket, except in the following scenarios:
  1. Purchase individual Air Canada (014) tickets.
  2. Purchase individual tickets from Pacific Coast (8P) or Air North (4N)
  3. An approved and documented regulatory or legal exception on the customer's file
  4. During irregular operations, two tickets were issued as a result of a single coupon reissue (including Air Canada to Other Airlines)
    • For instance, a customer may have an original YUL-AC-YYZ-LH-FRA ticket that has been reissued due to IROP on two tickets: YUL-AC-YYZ on AC (014) and YYZ-LH-FRA single coupon reissued on LH (220).
There are a mix of data points inconsistent with this policy, so YMMV.

Notwithstanding this policy, data points continue to be inconsistent.

Print Wikipost

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by Davvidd
In my experience AC has always checked my bags thru even if on separate tickets but on AC docs. Sometimes they have thru checked my bags on other carriers but say they cannot issue a Boarding card.
Mind sharing your latest successful date? Many people here said the AC system has changed. Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by IBNR
Mind sharing your latest successful date? Many people here said the AC system has changed. Thanks.
It is sill possible. I'm currently on AC (rewards) connecting to PNR 2 AC-LH (cash) and my bag is tagged through to my final destination. Took a bit of time though, as the agent had never done such a thing before.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by nak
I'm thinking of booking a revenue ticket LGA-YUL and a mileage ticket YUL-HND, so separate PNRs but both on AC metal and both procured directly from AC. There seems to be two schools of thought as to whether AC will check the bags through from LGA to HND. Can anyone reassure me that AC will for sure check the bags all the way through? Apologies in advance if I misread any of the previous replies. Thx
According to their revised policy, this is allowed, but there is no way to guarantee this as it's still up to the agent to apply the policies correctly, and also have the knowledge to do this in the system.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by IBNR
The last one was end of last year and as another OP had said it depends on the capability of the agent too. I had to press on a bit and the supervisor came and got it done. I think the main issue was the agent thought that I was asking to be thru checked and get my boarding pass too. I only wanted my baggage added and was willing to collect my boarding pass at my next destination if they could not issue it. But the sup managed to do everything. I find the experienced ones are a lot better in handing the system and knowing what and how to do it than the new younger ones.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
According to their revised policy, this is allowed, but there is no way to guarantee this as it's still up to the agent to apply the policies correctly, and also have the knowledge to do this in the system.
@ChrisA330 if you're familiar with the policy, perhaps you could throw the details in a wiki?
Stranger likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
if you're familiar with the policy, perhaps you could throw the details in a wiki?
I’m no more familiar with the policy than what is posted in this forum, but I created a wiki anyway.
canadiancow and vancouver25k like this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:04 am

Just to confirm - even based on the new policy if I have two tickets

ORD-YYZ-ATH - Revenue ticket 014 stock
ATH-TLV - AC Award ticket - Aegean Airlines

They will connect my bags all the way through, is that correct?

Connection time in ATH is 11 hours.

Last edited by yitrap; Apr 11, 2024 at 6:37 am
Old Apr 20, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: UA, AE
I got a definite "no" on AC to star non-AC on separate tickets twice on a recent trip for checking bags through. Once at an out station. And then while checking in at YYZ. Reasoning was that AC became liable for the complete bag routing which was costing them money that they felt they really should not have to be paying. Policy change about 1 year ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.