Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does Air Canada have an On-time performance crisis?

Does Air Canada have an On-time performance crisis?

Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Exclamation Does Air Canada have an On-time performance crisis?

In my view they have a major problem here.

With 6 segments since Christmas (5 were awards), I have not had one arrive on-time. All were late between 23 mins to 2+ hours. While 23 mins is not a lot even that grinds on you when it's the 6 th segment in a row. Thankfully Sunday's flight is on Westjet!

The flights are not exotic, just Yyz-yeg returns, Yyz-ewr and yeg-yvr. The frustrating thing is that a plane will land late and not depart for an hour - where is the hustle to get the bird back up? Also, the delays are seldom posted and not one of these were posted before I got to the airport.

Something needs to be done with this.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Altaflyer

With 6 segments since Christmas (5 were awards), I have not had one arrive on-time. All were late between 23 mins to 2+ hours. While 23 mins is not a lot even that grinds on you when it's the 6 th segment in a row. Thankfully Sunday's flight is on Westjet!

The flights are not exotic, just Yyz-yeg returns, Yyz-ewr and yeg-yvr. The frustrating thing is that a plane will land late and not depart for an hour - where is the hustle to get the bird back up? Also, the delays are seldom posted and not one of these were posted before I got to the airport.

With EWR (as well as the other NYC area airports), air traffic control will play a big part: once you miss your takeoff/landing slot, you may have to wait for a long time for the next free one. On top of that, NJ has had a streak of weather problems (at least on the NJ scale) this January.

I have no idea on YEG delays, though.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Aware of ewr issues but my Porter flight back was 15 mins early. The delay did not appear to be atc related, just slow to get stuff done at Yyz.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:58 am

delayed departure or delayed arrival?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
10 of my 12 segments YTD have been late - most due to de-icing.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have had the opposite experience...

5 of 6 AC segments on-time or early. One late (2 hours) due to weather (yesterday to YHZ).

2 of 2 SQ on time or early.

1 of 1 UA early

Pretty good so far for 2011....

Plumber
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Both, but certainly no time made up in the air. One of these was an 11:30pm arrival that did not land until 1:40am and cost me a hotel overnight.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold

I knew some, or one poster, would immediately post its ATC or some other excuse, rather than AC.

However its often not AC fault, how many of your flights were "crew" problems or mechanical?
However the next problem with AC is they are HOPELESS at sending out "text" or updating information on delayed flights that is just part of the "dont care" attitude at AC.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

With 6 segments since Christmas (5 were awards), I have not had one arrive on-time. All were late between 23 mins to 2+ hours. While 23 mins is not a lot even that grinds on you when it's the 6 th segment in a row.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Both, but certainly no time made up in the air. One of these was an 11:30pm arrival that did not land until 1:40am and cost me a hotel overnight.
are you going to send an email to AC to get hotel paid? Why didnt they offer you a hotel>?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Aware of ewr issues but my Porter flight back was 15 mins early. The delay did not appear to be atc related, just slow to get stuff done at Yyz.
The flights on my YYZ-EWR commute (on AC) have been on time probably more than 90% of the time over the past year. The early morning flights arrive almost always ahead of schedule. Evening flights (I never take daytime) are delayed more often as delays during the day cascade into the night. Recently snow and de-icing have dropped the percentage somewhat, though.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:33 am
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
I have done a lot of YEG-YMM this year and just about every flight has been delayed, in particular the afternoon returns from YMM (1-2 hour delay not uncommon). The delays are usually due to issue in YYC or YEG where the aircraft came from. Most of it is weather related, but it is still annoying.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:21 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
EWR is awful: winds the wrong way or a couple clouds, and it is cluster----.

As for the PD flight making it and the AC not, it can also do with altitude. Airways are more congested at FL300 levels vs FL200 levels.

A story to illustrate. I was flying COEX EWR»BUF in an ERJ145. We were stuck on the ground in EWR due to airway congestion. They refiled for a much lower altitude, burning much more fuel, to get us to BUF. Of course, this all took time to set up, so of course we were late, but we were 'home'. In talking to the First Officer upon landing, the reason they pushed it was so the plane was in BUF for the first flight out in the morning.

Basically, there are so many variables as to why you go, and the guy next to you doesn't (and vice versa), you are probably wrong when you guess why.

Brian
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:23 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Air Canada is always in crisis whether it be performance or anything else.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: AC
On my last trip from Brussels to Ottawa, both of the LH flights were spot on time, 2 of the 3 AC flights were delayed 2+ hours. One with us on the aircraft in Ottawa while they sorted out a mechanical issue. However, got the promise 5 or 6 times that it would only be another 20 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.