Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

My problems with AC part III (This is interesting).

Old Mar 17, 01, 9:29 am
Original Poster

As we left our fearless frequent traveler last (That's Me). He has had his 9 MCO's seized by an evil AC Supervisor at YYZ terminal 1. Even getting the Station that issued them to verify the authenticity of them will not get them returned to him.

Furthermore the dark villans at AC had plotted to deny him even the use of his ticket to Manila saying it to was issued with "errors" on it. A cry for help to the office of AC's President left him being told not to fly AC anytime soon!

Well after this incident I did complain to The Airtraveler Ombudsman and The Canadian Human Rights Commission.

One month ago I was given back the MCO's at YYZ terminal 2. They had all been rewritten shorting me about 6-8 months of validity on them. Nevertheless I decided I could use them by buying a RTW Fare in April, and proceeded to make a fresh new Reservation.

Last week I was in LHR and decided with one free day to do the ticketing on the PNR. I went first to the ATO at LHR to issue the tickets and I could tell that the guy did not want to touch this PNR. I then called up Customer Relations in LHR, and spoke to a woman and explained all my past problems with the MCO's. I then told her I was going to go to the CTO latter that day and this would let her sort out this recurring problem.

When I arrived at the CTO and presented my PNR and MCO's the woman took them into the back room and came out with a Xerox copy of them and stated they were seized pending a investigation of them.

All cries of the fact that these MCO's had all ready been checked out fell on deaf ears at both the CTO and again at the offices of AC in YUL which I called 3 times that day!

The warning of the MCO's was writen into my PNR by the same woman at AC who was
"working" on this original problem. (I'm sure this will be explained as a error on the part of a employee who wasn't aware of the first incident!)

It seems that AC is really out to get me for my past complaints, and law suit against them!

Now we will see what the Ombudsman's office will do as they have written to me and AC giving AC until April 7th to respond. All I can say is it's about to get real interesting, and I can't wait to read AC's response.

Old Mar 17, 01, 10:46 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Maybe you shouldn't fly AC anymore given the problems you've had...
Old Mar 17, 01, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Empress,

Quite frankly I don't want to fly AC, but let's face it unless I go through the US there is not much selection out there for me.

I did just fly J Class to HKG and MNL with CX and BA. I also used some of my BA Miles for my last trip, a J class flight to AMS.

The point is though I want to fly around the world using AC/SQ because it is the cheapest option, and one which I will gain FF Miles.

Empress, surely you (and I hope everyone else) would agree that as long as I am not a threat to airline safety (which I never have been) then AC has no right to black list me simply because I have taken them to task over past problems!
Old Mar 18, 01, 2:05 am

Originally posted by Canadian:
the dark villans at AC...
LOL - I think some of them were transfered to YYZ from the Death Star (jokes) I have found the LHR staff to be friendly but pretty useless...

I hope things work out for you. Sounds like AC is treating you worse than they treat me, which is a tall order. The key may be to use one point of contact (i.e. YYZ ATO) until these MCOs are redeemed, that way whoever is assisting you will be apprised fully of your situation and the previous complications. LON staff may have simply read the notes on your booking and took them at face value, irrespective of who is at fault.
Old Mar 18, 01, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Obviously LON is just going on what's on my PNR.

The fact though is this.
1. AC has no justification to treat me like this as I've never done anything dodgy with them.

2. A Ms. St. Onge in AC Head Office in YUL had to actually look for new PNR's after these MCO's were reissued to POLUTE my new PNR with the same crap!
Old Mar 18, 01, 1:07 pm
Suspended

From my experiences with AC over the years, and I have had my share of problems, something doesn't add up. But then again, only getting half the story typically presents that problem.

Canadian there is no way AC would treat you as bad as you continually allege and still be in business. Everyone has a bad day but they do not pick on customers. If they did lawyers would have a field day with them.

That is why I think we are missing half the story.
Old Mar 18, 01, 5:58 pm

IMO AC *does* pick on customers, but just not with any consistancy. For example, I often get a rough ride from AC agents, but the incidents, while frequent, seem unrelated. IMO it is that INCONSISTANCY that is the root of AC's customer service complications. I too do not think they are out to get specific people (as in passengers that are "marked"), although I have heard a few stories like this that are starting to make me wonder...

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited 03-18-2001).]
Old Mar 18, 01, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

O.K. Maple Leaf you explain to me how AC can take away my MCO's telling me they were missing an attached receipt from the original issue (which actually goes onto the new ticket not the MCO) then when they finaly return them to me the rewritten MCO's which were supposed to be valid for 1 yr from Dec 2000 now state on them "EXPIRES MAY-- 2001 FINAL REISSUE" (note: they never were reissued before). Now when presented in LON the agents there seize them again.

Let me remind you of the fact that AC also did not want to take my MX MCO's which CX gladly took 2 months ago. At that same time they would not even accept the Y class YYZ-MNL ticket I was holding!

And why is it that even when I bring this to the attention of AC head office no one seems to remember me? I get comments like "This is the first time I'm looking at your file".
How large of a staff is the office of the President at AC??? The things that make you say hummm!

These are the facts this is not an opinion but the facts! My opinion is that AC has targeted me, which we will see.

By the Way here's the facts of what AC has refused to accept from me in the past 2 months.

1. Y Class YYZ-MNL ticket issued in MEX.
2. 3 MX MCO's issued in Managua Nicaragua.
3. 1 Y Class YYZ-LHR ticket issued in PAR.
4. 5 AC MCO's issued in MEX even after MEX confirmed them in the PNR!
5. The MCO's once rewriten issued in YYZ attempted to use in LHR.

And let's not forget how AC Term1 YYZ wanted to only give me 30% on my US Dollars!
Old Mar 18, 01, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Guess I am glad I have never had an MCO in 30 years of flying!

If what you say is true (and I am not doubting it), I think you are following the right course. Stay calm, get names, gather information about how MCOs are supposed to work, document absolutely everything, write the ombudsman and, if that fails, call in the lawyers.

I think this is "chaos" theory

Anyway, it seems obvious that different people get hit by AC differently in different parts of the country. I haven't had any problems of great import and all minor ones have been resolved to my satisfaction.

Just because you may be right doesn't mean it will be resolved easily though. Eating humble pie is not a great characteristic of humans, though it should be on every airline's menu (just to carry the food analogies further).
Old Mar 19, 01, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Stay calm, get names, gather information about how MCOs are supposed to work, document absolutely everything, write the ombudsman and, if that fails, call in the lawyers.
BB gives sensible advice as always. I hope you come to a reasonable resolution with AC.
Otherwise, things will come to a point when you will think "why bother?" and take your business elsewhere and they will think the same and tell you that you might as well take your business elsewhere.

Good luck!
FewMiles..

------------------
FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
oneworld comparison chart 2001: coming soon
Old Mar 19, 01, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

BB and Few Miles, thank for the words of wisdom.

However I kinda feel already at the point where I will be taking most of my business elsewhere, until the Ombudsman can resolve these issues.

Aparently once AC gives a responce to the Ombudsman I can then either accept it or challenge it and then it goes to an investigator. Frankly I can't see how AC is going to win this in the end.

Let's face it how do you justify the deliberate withholding of someones luggage, and not accepting MCO's that are good enough for other airlines? Not to mention issuing the MCO's once and then seizing them twice after the office that issued them verified them!

Stay tuned for more of this soap opera as it unfolds!
Old Mar 20, 01, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, AC MM
Canadian, forgive me for prying, but just what did you do to obtain 9 MCO's anyway?

In all the years I have been flying (SE and all), I have only encountered MCO's twice - once for a last minute upgrade purchase, and once for an excess baggage charge.

I second MapleLeaf's request - let's hear the full story. Obviously the airline will not provide that information, so let's hear it from you, Canadian. Start by telling us how you got 9 MCO's.
Old Mar 20, 01, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, AC MM
Flyboy, I think I have figured out why you are getting inconsistent treatment from Air Canada.

I'll begin with the presumption that your conversations and interactions with Air Canada employees contain more or less the same level of prejudice and intolerance that your posts here have.

Given that, I suspect about half the AC employees are going out of their way to be polite and nice to you, despite the way you are coming across - and the other half are just treating you as you treat them.

This is the only explanation I can think of.

I think I fly AC a lot more than you, and in my experience, "bad" experiences with employees account for less than 10% of the transactions I have with employees.

[This message has been edited by Max Power (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old Mar 20, 01, 9:35 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Max: You must have missed it, we all concluded that AC just DON'T like Flyboy!
Old Mar 20, 01, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Max I thought I told you guy's last time I posted, but here goes.

5 MCO's were given as residual value on a AA J class ticket reissued by AC in MEX.
AC ATO verified this to YYZ.

2 MCO's were given in PAR from AC for a reisued ticket YYZ-LHR.

1 was issued in YYZ by AC about 6 months ago as residual value from another MCO used to buy a ticket.

Last one can't remember.

Remember that MCO's have a Maximum value of either $350.00 or $750.00 U.S. on them so a refund of $1800.00 would require at least 3 MCO's.

The reason I usualy request for an MCO to be issued in the case of residual value coming back to me is so I don't have to chase my money around from airline to airline and country to country. I once waited almost 10 months for a refund from IB in Costa Rica, it went through Mexico, Spain then Canada who had to then send it to the US as it was in US Dollars!

Max the fact of the matter is that AC seized these MCO's TWICE, the first time they had them for over one month, now come on do you really think that AC really couldn't check them all out during that time period? And if not why then did they reissue them to me to begin with??

Let's call a spade a spade, AC's actions don't add up. They had a verification from MEX on 5 of them, 1 was issued at YYZ yet YYZ didn't release them for 1 month then when they finaly do they are seized again!

Search this Thread