FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC- YVR-MEX $99 OW + Taxes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1177626-ac-yvr-mex-99-ow-taxes.html)

Rejuvenated Feb 7, 2011 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15754757)
IMO not very safe to vacation..

Heard that it is safer than Rio and Caracas.

PointWeasel Feb 8, 2011 12:41 pm

I can't comment on Caracas having never been, however, the only part of Rio that makes me nervous is not the south zone but the area west of the the airport and north of downtown. I rented a car and drove to Petropolis straight through that area and I wouldn't want my car to have a flat tire let just say.

As far as MEX goes I have had Mexican friends shaken down for their iPhones or Blackberries but thankfully that's it.

painintheuk Feb 8, 2011 10:58 pm

The biggest risk in MEX right now is probably polution :).

The 'drug war' is rumoured to be approaching, but that is presented by an American media which sees Ciudad Juarez as the same as all of Mexico. I'd love to go.

I'm more worried (as an FTer) about the crazy fuel surcharges. I was so excited by the thread title, though!

Braindrain... How do you find YVR-NRT-YVR under $600 all-in (presumably with 100% mileage)? Perhaps my YKA connection is causing the extra costs, but I've not seen it for twice the price.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.

Rejuvenated Feb 9, 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 15830102)
The biggest risk in MEX right now is probably polution :).

I've seen photos of those and they certainly make those in LA or Houston look rather tamed.

PointWeasel Feb 9, 2011 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated (Post 15830320)
I've seen photos of those and they certainly make those in LA or Houston look rather tamed.

I've been in DF for both the nasty days where you cough and the crystal clear days when the wind blows just right and you can see the volcanoes nearby (much prefer this one).

I noticed that AC is still playing with YYZ-MEX sked. I'm booked YYC-YVR-MEX and my friend is flying YOW-YYZ-MEX but AC 991 is now zeroed out 17FEB and the agent thinks its being cancelled. :td:

PointWeasel Feb 10, 2011 9:41 am

Very, very odd AC fares today. The ex-Western Canada-MEX sale that was supposed end tonight (10FEB at midnight) has been pulled early but there is an unannounced/unpromoted seat sale ex-YOW now for $99 one-way. :confused:

Did anyone else take advantage of the seat sale? These fares are pretty good for MEX even with that awful fuel surcharge.

PointWeasel Feb 11, 2011 10:02 am

Sale has been extended for another 7 days! ^

makin'miles Feb 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Just a heads up that the $99 one-way fares from YVR are still available, but they are selling on ac.com without the fuel surcharge, so a very good deal (about $320 all-in). Flights from YYC/YEG are slightly more, but if routed on the YVR flight, also no fuel surcharge.

YOW/YYZ/YUL flights are also available at the $99, but the fuel charge is there, so they are coming in around 550 or so.

Ancien Maestro Feb 13, 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by PointWeasel (Post 15821707)
Each to their own. MEX is perfectly safe in most areas like most cities in Canada and the US. I have never felt unsafe but then I don't stand on the sidewalk with a huge map open either to attract attention.

I took the plunge for my upcoming birthday and booked the $114 YYC-YVR-MEX flights and yes, after a horrendous fuel surcharge and taxes the total was $568.12. :(

I have noticed that those weasels at AC head office don't assign the hefty fuel surcharge to ZIH, SJD, CUN or PVR...just MEX. :mad:

It my SSWU burn coming up.

I wish we felt the same.. we've delayed our visit to Mexico because of the increased Canadian tourist deaths.. would like to visit Fairmont Mayakoba on the Mayan Riviera sometime.. and the Pyramids of Egypt for that matter.

Ancien Maestro Feb 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by PointWeasel (Post 15845467)
Sale has been extended for another 7 days! ^

May as well make the flight free and charge $700 in taxes. :D A bit of of a dupe IMHO.

PointWeasel Feb 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles (Post 15857038)
Just a heads up that the $99 one-way fares from YVR are still available, but they are selling on ac.com without the fuel surcharge, so a very good deal (about $320 all-in). Flights from YYC/YEG are slightly more, but if routed on the YVR flight, also no fuel surcharge.

YOW/YYZ/YUL flights are also available at the $99, but the fuel charge is there, so they are coming in around 550 or so.

AC rez is aware of this 'issue' so if you plan on taking advantage of the sale ex-YVR/YYJ/YYC/YEG and others for a bit higher I would do so asap - the YQ $105 surcharge each way is apparently meant to be charged. A memo was issued about the issue on 09FEB internally.

This YQ prices AC out of the market in most cases normally so I would hope the re-evaluate it permanently to Mexico City (resort destinations are YQ-free).

BTW, I leave in a fews days and my upgrade cleared thankfully. ^

CloudsBelow Feb 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15857770)
May as well make the flight free and charge $700 in taxes. :D A bit of of a dupe IMHO.

I used to not care how AC broke down their price - just look at the all in price and decide if that's good for you.
Just looked at the YUL-MEX fares and am having a change of heart. Not angry or anything but just roll my eyes at these ridiculous fees. What a joke. $198 base + 350 fees.
This could end up hurting AC. For example, I could get a note saying YUL-XXX for $10 each way and not even click the link assuming the AC fees are enormous.
I guess AC treats their "misleading" price breakdown like annoying cold-callers - if they catch just a couple PAX who see YUL-MEX for $99 and those PAX select their $99 flights and just quickly enter CC info not realizing the fees, than they have proved this deceitful practice profitable.

Rad456 Feb 19, 2011 9:17 am

Extended for another 7 days until Feb 25 I believe.

Fuel surcharges are reasonable now (or non existent) .Somewhere around $350 all in from Edmonton.

You may be able to work it in with a one way to MZT on Westjet, which is going for $99 + fees. Then take one of the discount Mexican airlines like Aerobus to go on to MEX

PointWeasel Apr 2, 2011 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by PointWeasel (Post 15857915)
AC rez is aware of this 'issue' so if you plan on taking advantage of the sale ex-YVR/YYJ/YYC/YEG and others for a bit higher I would do so asap - the YQ $105 surcharge each way is apparently meant to be charged. A memo was issued about the issue on 09FEB internally.

This YQ prices AC out of the market in most cases normally so I would hope the re-evaluate it permanently to Mexico City (resort destinations are YQ-free).

BTW, I leave in a fews days and my upgrade cleared thankfully. ^

And the disappearing fuel surcharge issue has now been fixed within the past 24 hours. The lower fare from YYC-MEX is approaching $900 CAD. :td:

I had a booking on hold that was expiring tonight so I ticketed all-in for $578 CAD incl an expiring 15% off code from Customer Solutions. I was somewhat lucky. :)

PointWeasel Apr 9, 2011 1:44 pm

YVR-MEX sked change

Just curious if anyone one the board has been affected by the sked change that took place 2 weeks ago on the route.

I much prefer to arrive in the afternoon, rather than 8 pm and the new 8:05 am return time ex-MEX is less that optimal for a long weekend visit because you lose the whole day now.

Given this change, I was thinking of taking my chances with a same-day change on the red-eye YYC-YYZ and then the am departure YYZ-MEX on my coming date of travel - has anyone attempted this?