ICN to YYZ...SQ vs AC

Old Jan 27, 11, 8:42 am
YTO

Programs: AC *G, MPC Gold/OW Sapphire, GFF Gold
I'd take SQ over AC any day, BUT, having to do both US AND Canadian customs is just not worth it, especially since ICN-YVR/SFO is not too long of a flight, you'd also have to endure domestic J if you fly SQ. NRT-ICN-YYZ would probably be the best option since catering ex-NRT beats ICN-YVR hands down and you also wouldn't need to be waiting around for bags to come out twice .

IF SQ still did ICN-YVR then I'd definitely do that option, but, that's another discussion for another day

Edited to add: PLUS you do get that nice 100% bonus miles
Old Jan 27, 11, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
unless you think you are going to fly SQ soon do it NOW. SQ is truly amazing, it will make your AC pod seem like a 3rd world seat, on a dusty old plane.

you need to understand there is NO COMPARISON, between AC and SQ.

So with that info decide whats important to you You will always get to fly in an old J seat on AC thats narrow with ancient IFE. You might not have the option of trying something amazing.

So unless the other people have flown both airlines recently they don't understand the difference.
Who cares about customs in SFO you wont wipe the smile off your face from the SQ seat.
Old Jan 27, 11, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly View Post
unless you think you are going to fly SQ soon do it NOW. SQ is truly amazing, it will make your AC pod seem like a 3rd world seat, on a dusty old plane.

While I do like SQ, this is a bit of an exaggeration. AC will save the OP from transit in SFO, which will make for a more comfortable trip overall.
Old Jan 27, 11, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by why fly View Post

So with that info decide whats important to you You will always get to fly in an old J seat on AC thats narrow with ancient IFE. You might not have the option of trying something amazing.

So unless the other people have flown both airlines recently they don't understand the difference.
Who cares about customs in SFO you wont wipe the smile off your face from the SQ seat.

Voila, very well said indeed, that smile, i still have it everytime I think of my SQ experience, "Hot Towel SIR"!!!!1
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Wow...seeems opinion is pretty split 50-50!

I have NEXUS and this global access and hand luggage only immigration, etc...should not be a major issue.

I never thought of NRT as an option...
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
No such a thing as "safe." There safer vs. less safe.

SQ's record is not great. TPE crash, also the Silkair suicidal pilot. If you look for instance at airsafe.com, AC comes up at 0.33. SQ at 1.50 and on a much smaller number of flights. Worse than for instance Air France.
That was 10 years ago! The latest incident with SQ resulted in the pilot landing the plane with NO injuries!

FYI if i recall ICN to North America flights on SQ are still SpaceBed and not the latest product.
Originally Posted by Academic View Post
This would be the deciding factor for me. Unless you can get the new Bus Class seats on SQ, AC would be the way to go.
SQ flies the new product from ICN, all 777-300ER have the new seats.
Old Jan 27, 11, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
While I do like SQ, this is a bit of an exaggeration. AC will save the OP from transit in SFO, which will make for a more comfortable trip overall.
I guess if we are posting here its because we like to fly and want to do something different. We also want to get great deals and "beat" the airlines programs.

the difference between AC and SQ is night and day, there is no comparison.

lol SFO customs is simple? And if its that big a deal for most of us get a Global Entry card. Its well worth the $50.
I assume the OP has tried AC seats this is a chance for him to try a truly "revolutionary" seat! Hey i have had 10 friends now on SQ J and all of them were excited beyond belief at the product. None of them would ever have wanted to trade any airlines seat to miss out on the opportunity they had trying the new SQ seat.

to the OP....... AC seat is Economy Plus compared to SQ. Enjoy.
Old Jan 27, 11, 6:38 pm

I would just do ICN-NRT-YYZ... the flights from ICN-SFO/YVR or NRT-YYZ are all overnight, anyway, and I sleep well in the AC seat. SFO/YVR-YYZ is also a bit of a haul after a long red-eye from Asia.
Old Jan 27, 11, 8:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Is there a reason OZ is not an option? ICN-ORD-YYZ would give you the shortest domestic segment (except for connecting outside North America), which is significantly inferior to anything international, IMHO. I wouldn't want to step onto a transcon even in domestic F after international C if I can help it. Obviously, if AC runs internationally configured aircrafts between YYZ & SFO or YVR, that would be a different story.

LAX
Old Jan 27, 11, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would recommend taking SQ without any hesitation. Going through the U.S and then having to do SFO-YYZ in a non-herringbone in this case is worth it IMO. SQ 77W J seat is far superior to AC's herringbone and so is the service, IFE, meals and virtually everything onboard.
Old Jan 27, 11, 9:58 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by Academic View Post
This would be the deciding factor for me. Unless you can get the new Bus Class seats on SQ, AC would be the way to go.
SQ as said runs only 77W and new C to SFO. By March, the only route with the space bed will be the JFK-FRA-SIN route once LAX gets the 388.

Hands down SQ over AC. The AC Herringbone is alright, but the SQ C seat is much more comfortable, in addition to much more attentive FA's, superior KrisWorld IFE, and some of the greatest catering in the sky.
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ande777emt View Post
SQ as said runs only 77W and new C to SFO. By March, the only route with the space bed will be the JFK-FRA-SIN route once LAX gets the 388.
Correct! SFO & IAH are operated exclusively by the 77Ws while the nonstop SIN-LAX/EWR are with the all J A345. All of these have that wide comfortable business class seat. SQ11/12 will switch to the 388 on Mar 27 which of course will also have that type of J seat.
Old Jan 28, 11, 6:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Virgin, Starwood, RBC Awards, Air Miles, OneWorld
Originally Posted by kellytoronto View Post
SQ16 from ICN-SFO is the new J 77W. Another option to consider is OZ to NRT and back from there. If ease was my objective, I'd definitely do the ICN-YVR-YYZ: only one set of customs, and a quick exit at YYZ once you land after the long flight.
Hey!

I took the ICN-SFO route and back with SQ last October (and YYZ to SFO on AC). The SQ J service was unbelievable, and that's relative to a number of LH first experiences as well. To wit, the seats are like wee cubbies of your own space and, if you're a champers fan (which I am) they offer at least 2 different types including Bollinger. (In fact, they happily offered to reserve one full bottle just for my consumption.)

SQ all the way.

Cheers,
PS
Old Jan 28, 11, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ande777emt View Post

Hands down SQ over AC. The AC Herringbone is alright, but the SQ C seat is much more comfortable, in addition to much more attentive FA's, superior KrisWorld IFE, and some of the greatest catering in the sky.
when will JFK-FRA SIN switch? to something other than the spacebed.
Old Jan 28, 11, 7:33 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (Lifetime Gold)
Aren't we forgetting status bonus? Flying Transpac on AC/UA gets you 100% bonus miles for SE/ 50% for E (if you've selected them in your preferences).

In my case, the deciding factors would be (in order):

1) Price
2) Miles
3) Service/aircraft/soft product etc.

That being said, if the price is right, the SQ biz class seats on the 777-300 and A380's are awesome.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: