Should I ask for upg cert back?

Old Mar 10, 01, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Should I ask for upg cert back?

Seeking advice from the board ... on Friday morning flew YYZ-YWG. Booked far in advance and paid considerably more for a "V" fare ticket to ensure upg at time of booking. $200+ fare difference as Royal offers stiff competition on this route thus lowering AC L and Q fares.

All is fine on Friday morning. Checkin at a kiosk proceed through T2's "priority security clearance lines" clogged with spring breakers not in Exec or E/SE (most board cards were in hands so easy to spot) GTAA security guards doing nothing to redirect and very nice MLL agent actually said it's a perception of "elitism" issue why AC will not assign their staff to enforce or ask GTAA to do so. Why bother putting up the sign then? but I digress.

In the MLL the aforementioned very nice agent requested my upg cert and I cheerfully handed it over. Should have recalled that on PTO the night before Y was showing completely booked solid and J had only 10 out of 24 occupied.

Got to the gate and the agents took my boarding card with the cert (marked up by the MLL agent as "used YYZ-YWG etc") and mumbled audibly to themselves (I heard it) that I should have been comped my upg as an SE as they were filling J with operational upgs. They were nice and wished me a nice flight.

My question: should I e-mail the SE desk and retell this story asking for another system-wide upg as they were doing a lot of operational upgs? It's early in the year and it looks like I will be squeaking by with my certs as they are doled out.

If I had gone straight to the gate they would obviously have not lifted my cert!

Mmmm .. food for thought here ... would appreciate your comments.

FYI (like Empress I have only very recently begun to fly AC metal).. inflight service was perfunctory: paper tablecloths, meal choices ("hot or cold" no explanation given unless asked) given to all and not allowing for many ML*5s in the cabin (the service director mentioned to me upon boarding after thanking me for being SE -- that she had a lot of last minute upgs -- later check of manifest confirmed a lot of ML*5 codes FYI, the SD served the Y cabin and never appeared in J!), oj served in a plastic container placed next to a glass ... gee what bean counter came up with this lame excuse for "Executive class" meal service? But again I digress

Old Mar 11, 01, 12:12 am

Operational upgrades are not guaranteed... yours was, at the cost of using a certificate. As a SE using certificate, you can confirm upgrade few days in advance, no? So that is why it costs a certificate.

I wonder if it would make a difference if you ask first if it is overbooked. If it is, then cancel your confirmed upgrade and let the gate agent handle your check-in. Then you are very likely to get an operational upgrade.
Old Mar 11, 01, 4:56 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

I don't think you should ask for an upg cert back... You used an upgrade cert to get a confirmed upgrade at time of booking and also get 125% Q miles instead of the usual 50%. You will most likely get a response from the SE desk that "operational upgrade are done at a gate agent's discretion blah blah...", they are usually very helpful but don't make yourself too greedy! {I know you're not, I understand what your concern is.. )
Old Mar 11, 01, 5:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
The 50% miles is the most important. As Empress note, involuntary upgrades only get 50%. You have to decide whether it worth the effective 150% bonus or not.
Old Mar 11, 01, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More Miles makes a good point. A confirmed upgrade is worth a upgrade certificate to me.The other consideration is the Q miles. A confimed upgrade becomes C class and qualifies for basic and class of service bonus. C class also qualifies for the double, triple or quadruple miles. I guess it depends where the priority is: accumulating miles or upgrading to J cabin.
As for getting your certificate back from AC, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Mar 11, 01, 8:27 am

I thought as SE or even E you got 100% Q miles no matter what the fare. CP used to treat it different but on AC that used to be the case.
I just checked and on last gate upgrade (L class ticket - mid Feb.) I got 125% Q miles. If it is a mistake I'm not going to complain.

?????????
Old Mar 11, 01, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q and L fares only get 50% of miles on domestic flights. Halifax Buoy, enjoy the extra miles.
Old Mar 11, 01, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally posted by Halifax Bouy:
I thought as SE or even E you got 100% Q miles no matter what the fare.
You're right, Halifax Bouy, everyone (not just E and SE) gets 100% miles on all fares.
The only exception to this is travel within Canada where discounted fares earn 50%.
Old Mar 11, 01, 11:31 am

CP used to treat it different but on AC that used to be the case.

Both AC and CP always had the 50% Q miles policy for domestic flights. I would say you got lucky when you got 125% Q miles for a L class upgrade because many people here say thaty they don't.
Old Mar 12, 01, 6:33 am

I think I see, it is not flights in NA, it is flights in Canada. I got 125% on the Tampa-Toronto upgrade. Did not get upgraded from Toronto to YHZ so that segment should be 50%. I'll check that one.
Old Mar 12, 01, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US and international flights are 100% plus class of service bonus of 25% for J/SJ.
Old Mar 12, 01, 9:25 am

Some carriers get around this problem by allowing check-in agent to grant operational upgrades AT CHECK-IN (they print off Y boarding card, call for authorisation, then print off J boarding card). Also, by doing things this way, they do not take the certificate in the first place if you are already upgraded. Also when checking-in with the Kiosk, I never let MLL agent take a certificate - only let gate agent do it just in case.

IMO you might want to send AC an e-mail for clarification purposes, as it was clearly an administrative oversight.
Old Mar 12, 01, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Fly Boy--that will generally be carriers operating flights at airports where only confirmed passengers can get airside (e.g. HKG).

The agent at the standby desk takes over the function of the gate agent in clearing standby's. As a result, the computer/lead agent will have identified operational upgrades well ahead of time. Happened to me a couple of times on CX.
Old Mar 12, 01, 12:25 pm

This has also happened to me several times on BA at LHR T4 (...and LGW-N, and YVR, and YYZ, and JFK, &c &c &c). And I have also been on standby (for a LHR-ORD flight) there and passed through security to go airside. I also know from experience that in Canada, AC standby passengers are also let through security to go airside. Perhaps this would make life easier for gate agents if AC adopted this policy...

Also, those of us that flew CP know that they would usually not take stickers when checking-in for oversold flights.

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old Mar 12, 01, 12:34 pm

Also, those of us that flew CP know that they would usually not take stickers when checking-in for oversold flights.

What are you talking about? I flew over 100+ flights on CP over the past 2 years and I was an EP for majority of them, I know some of the flights I was on was oversold but CP always took a sticker from me. CP was very strict in ensuring that stickers were collected because it's easy to distinguish upgrades from rev J on the boarding pass.

Search this Thread