Why are HKG-YVR so full in May?

Old Mar 20, 01, 9:56 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

I am trying to get a YYZ-HKG ticket returning to Canada late April or Early May, almost all of the dates for couple straight weeks starting in late Apr til late May are showing sold out in Y class and even J on some dates.

What's going on..? I don't recall any holidays around that time!

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old Mar 20, 01, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
As a shareholder in AC, I'm glad to hear business is so good on one of our routes. Have they reintroduced two flights a day ex-YVR again yet? Has the YYZ-HKG non strop started up? Could also be a lot of consolidator/tour groups preblocked in the back cabin all sold out. There has been heavy promotion of visiting that part of the world as a tourist destination, aside from any other personal/family travel.
Old Mar 20, 01, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Have they reintroduced two flights a day ex-YVR again yet? Has the YYZ-HKG non strop started up?

They haven't reintroduced the A340 YYZ-HKG flight yet, I think it might be time for them to reconsider the way the loads are showing for Apr/May. I do hope they will open up some seats or add a flight. I have never seen this particular flight so booked up in Apr and May. The only time this happens is March Break (YVR/HKG flights are overbook everyday this week), late Aug and Christmas holidays.

Could also be a lot of consolidator/tour groups preblocked in the back cabin all sold out.

It's only the HKG-YVR segment that's very booked up but YVR-HKG is quite empty. I don't think many tours from HKG to Canada are happening around that time, i see a lot of advertisement in HKG paper giving big discounts for travel in late Apr - June. Also the kids are getting a special 2 weeks holiday from March 15 - 27 because of the census going on so many parents are already taking their kids for a vacation.

This is very puzzling... I'll be forced to fly UA Y class if I couldn't get a seat on AC which is the last thing that I want to happen.
Old Mar 20, 01, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Empress, join the dark side and fly CX!

FewMiles..

------------------
FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
oneworld comparison chart 2001: coming soon
Old Mar 20, 01, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Empress, join the dark side and fly CX!

That's not going to happen until I make SE (which is 40K Q miles away!).
Old Mar 20, 01, 12:41 pm

there must be some major holiday. nw just introduced a sale to asia, but blackout dates are april 27-may 6.
Old Mar 20, 01, 12:48 pm

I had the same problem, but with YVR-ICN-YVR flights in April. My travel agent made a call to AC and they were able to give me a V class fare. I thought it was strange, seeing as how the loads on flights to and from Seoul are usually light(50% empty in Y and 50-75%+ J).

AC usually reserves rows 12-19(767-300ER) for E/SE, so some or most of those seats should still be available. My TA was able to select seats in rows 22 and 27, but after a quick call to AC I was able to change my seating to row 12(AC) and row 11(CP).
Old Mar 20, 01, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Not any holidays that I am aware of here in HKG. The kids get 2 weeks of holiday for easter in early April which results in $125 surcharge for travel between Canada and HKG on Apr 6-15. Other than that, I am not aware of anything else.
Old Mar 20, 01, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Same problem w/ my girlfriend too. She's having problem booking the 1st week of May. However, the only other holidays (other than Easter as already mentioned here) that I aware of in April and May are just:

May 1 - Labor Day
April 5 - Ching Ming

so, still not sure why??
Old Mar 20, 01, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
sorry, duplicate post.

[This message has been edited by Helen123 (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old Mar 20, 01, 5:20 pm

I'd guess it's due to the number of people who've made reservations and/or bought tickets.

[This message has been edited by Ken hAAmer (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old Mar 20, 01, 7:02 pm

Ken hAAmer

That tickled me.!

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 01, 7:04 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Some travel agencies in HK like to "double book" their pax.

A passenger may be undecided on what day he/she would like to travel and has reservations for multiple dates.

This is certainly a bad practice and takes up seats that won't be used.

Search this Thread