Wiki Posts
Search

Foot and Mouth Questions at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2001, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Foot and Mouth Questions at YYZ

I have a UK trip coming up in a week or so. Although I'm only going to be in London, I live on a hobby farm here, so I have to check off the "Will you be visiting a farm ..." box. Does anyone have experience of what Customs are doing at this end these days? I guess I'll just assume that there'll be a secondary and make sure my shoes are clean.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
On the news tonight they said something about making you disinfect your feet upon arrival in Canada if you're coming from the UK.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 7:21 pm
ABW

Programs: AC SE 3MM, Bonvoy LTE, Accor Diamond, Amex Centurion
Arriving from CDG in YUL on Mar. 11th we had to walk on a special carpet like material to clean our footwear - no special questions asked by customs.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 7:34 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001840.html
Old Mar 13, 2001, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know the procedures as I am heading for the UK next weekend. I was wondering what precautions will be taken upon returning to YYZ.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 5:17 am
NNA

what are the precautions with passengers arriving at YYZ from UK...?

- I work in agriculture but fortunately haven't been on a farm since January...but our industry is currently suffering...

Like to know what to expect when I hit YYZ in early april...
Old Mar 14, 2001, 5:50 am

Everyone arriving at T1 has to individually walk the gauntlet - a carpet about 8 ft in length, soggy with some sort of disinfectant - watched over by customs officials. But, since I was arriving from HNL, I don't know what types of questions they are asking people from the UK and the rest of Europe.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 7:44 am

I doubt that walking the disinfectant path is going to do much to keep foot and mouth disease (or anything else, for that matter) out. After all, people's luggage will have been on the ground at some point, people may have another pair of shoes in their luggage, and what about overcoats and such?

The only way to be sure would be to spray everybody with disinfectant and disinfect all their belongings.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:25 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
Islandcub, I suppose its slightly better than the Goverment shrugging its collective shoulders and saying "What the Point", these days you must be seen to be taking action so as to protect your back. Even if that action is fairly pointless.

The only real way is complete personal disinfection and I just don't see that happening.

Stewart
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
The carpet makes some sense.

Your clothes, and your body are (hopefully) cleaned regularly. Baggage can be easily sprayed before loading. (I am not sure if the virus can survive freezing, the temperature in the hold may be partially effective).

The real concern is people who are carrying the virus. That is what will render other precautions null.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 9:43 am
NNA

Originally posted by AC*SE:
[b](I am not sure if the virus can survive freezing, the temperature in the hold may be partially effective).

b]
believe it or not but the only conditions that will kill the virus are hot conditions, cold (freezing too) only prolongs the situation...

more info http://www.maff.gov.uk/animalh/disea...s/factsht1.pdf

[This message has been edited by NNA (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old Mar 14, 2001, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I wondered about that, but I was too lazy to look it up. (That's what I like about this forum on FT: there's always someone around with the answer you need! )
Old Mar 15, 2001, 1:56 pm

Flight crews have just been received an insert to their manuals on this subject. Here are some quotes from it which might answer/confirm some of your questions.

Agriculture Canada has begun a shoe disinfecting campaign in Canadian airports for all flights arriving from Europe. Rubber mats soaked with a disinfecting water solution will be set up in those airports. The product used to disinfect the shoes is called "Virkon" and is non-toxic. Passengers and crew members are required to walk across the mats to disinfect the soles of their shoes.

It is also mandatory when entering Canada:
- to declare all meat, dairy or other animal products that you are bringing in;
- if you visited a farm while abroad make sure that the clothing and footwear you wore during your visit are free from soil or manure, it is particularly important to disinfect all footwear, dry cleaning of clothers is recommended;
- stay away from Canadian farms for 14 days [as recommended by the World Organization for Animal Health] after returning to Canada.

Note: A new announcement was issued which is to be made when distributing landing cards to explain this procedure.

Regarding luggage, I don't know at the moment if there is a process in place to disinfect baggage but I think the theory is that luggage is not normally dropped in the vicinity of or left on farm soil or livestock manure.

My question would be: what is done to disinfect the carpets and flooring in these aircraft after all these "susceptible shoes" have shuffled across them for hours and then deplaned on their way to customs? Some of our wide-bodies are interchanged between international and domestic flying. How are they treated - literally?

NNA gave one link; here are a few more on the subject. You can call 1-800-OCANADA (cute eh?) or visit the Cdn. website at: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/ for more information.

Edited for humorous spelling error. Oops.

[This message has been edited by A Flygirl (edited 03-15-2001).]
Old Mar 15, 2001, 3:50 pm

Regarding luggage, I don't know at the moment if there is a process in place to disinfect baggage but I think the theory is that luggage is not normally dropped in the vicinity of or left on farm soil or livestock mature.
Not even by baggage handlers?
Old Mar 15, 2001, 4:16 pm

I said dropped Ken not thrown with vigorous abandon!

Exposure to baggage handlers though is another good point. Hit the showers guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.