Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What may happen if I discontinue journey halfway?

Old Mar 17, 01, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Alaska 75K, Avianca, British Airways

I have an Air Canada ticket returning me to Atlanta, via Toronto (no stopover privileges on ticket) from London Heathrow. However, I only want to go to Toronto.

If I go through Canadian Immigration in Toronto and NOT board my connecting flight to Atlanta - would there be there any repercussions from Air Canada? I will not be checking ant luggage in.

Or would I be better off flying to Atlanta and then purchasing another ticket back to Toronto. (I can forsee INS problems here).
Old Mar 17, 01, 6:11 am
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
In theory, Air Canada can penalize you (or more likely go after your travel agent), but if it's a one-off thing you should be fine.
Go to an AC agent in YYZ, say that your travel plans have changed and you need to be in, say Montreal, for business immediately, and cannot go back to Atlanta. Your YYZ-ATL will be cancelled and a notation made specifying why you could not make the flight. This happened to me once - I was on my way back to YYZ (leisure), when my manager asked me to go to NY (business), so I changed my travel plans at the stopover-point.
Old Mar 17, 01, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
AC's concern may be that the fare paid LHR-ATL is less than the fare LHR-YYZ and thus suspect you of trying to take advantage of "hidden city" ticketing. Lowest discounted economy fares to/from the US from/to Europe don't require the 7-day minimum stay, so you could be considered cheating by flying LHR-YYZ-LHR, but ticketing trough to ATL, thus circumventing the ticket rules to/from Canada. If you expect to use the return portion of the ticket [you were not specific as to wether this is a return discounted fare, but I assume it is] you may not be permitted to board since you would be using your coupons out of sequence. This is not allowed, and considered a breach of the ticketing/fare contract. AC might reissue the ticket and hold your space between LHR-YYZ-LHR, while cancelling the YYZ-ATL-YYZ portion, but you would have to pay a change fee, etc.

It is just too difficult to answer you definitively without knowing:

1. the whole routing,
2. the fare and class issued in, fare rules, etc.
3. the fare and rules associated with a similar LHR-YYZ-LHR ticket
Old Mar 17, 01, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Alaska 75K, Avianca, British Airways
I have already used the Atlanta to London portion and now I would like to use the return portion only as far as Toronto. (therefore no worries with out of sequence ticketing).

I changed contracts since Atlanta and as such so have my travel patterns. The ticket is a deep discount consolidated ticket ($258 USD return). Route is not changeable.

Yes, the tickets to the US are cheaper than to Toronto with Air Canada. Ironically, tickets to Montreal and Halifax can be bought here in London with a stopover in Toronto at no extra charge and the airfare is the same. So anyone flying from London to Toronto may want to consider flying to a further destination. US points require 7 day stay.

Old Mar 17, 01, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Thanks for the clarification. Since this is the final leg of the journey, other than being a noshow and AC possibly trying to track you down at the departure gate, or annotating you PNR file (highly unlikely), you will be long gone from the airport by the time they notice you missing from the ATL flight. (Just don't try and claim Aeroplan points on the YYZ-ATL segment.) I don't think Cdn Immigration has any concern as long as you are qualified to enter the country. They may ask about your onward arrangements if you are not a citizen or Cdn passport holder.

The real issue is if you tell AC in YYZ that you don't intend to continue on to ATL, you are in violation of your ticket/fare conditions and can be charged the fare difference. This is a clear case of "hidden city" because you are using the cheaper fare to ATL, but only travelling as far as YYZ. It would be up to the agent you speak with to "penalize" you. They could insist you board the plane because you are technically in transit. They could bring the RCMP around to make sure you do go through the transborder preclearance, if you are not a Canadian citizen. However, I think it is more an ethical decision on your part. If you noshow, I don't suspect anything will happen.
Old Mar 17, 01, 6:17 pm

I have a similar situation, except I WILL be checking baggage.

I will be going from BDL-YUL-YXU and my return trip is from YXU-YYZ-BDL. However, I'm just planning to stay in Toronto (YYZ) and not go back to Hartford (BDL).

When I'm checking my baggage, I am planning to just tell the ticketing agent that I have to drop off my luggage to someone in YYZ. I am a Canadian citizen so I should have no problem stopping in Toronto...but I want to avoid having my baggage go on to Hartford.

Do you think this will work?
Old Mar 17, 01, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
You have to pick up your bags in YYZ, anyway, and clear them before you go to the US PFI station.

So you pick them up, and get in a taxi instead of going over to T2.
Old Mar 17, 01, 8:26 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I have done it three times now with no repercussions as of yet.

Dorian

------------------
The Global Lounge Project - open source airline lounge listings - managed by Dorian
flyers'places - restaurant, bar & hotel tips - courtesy of Catman, Shareholder, Rudi & Dorian
The Star Alliance RTW Price Chart - by Dorian
The Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart - by Blondebomber
Old Mar 18, 01, 4:19 am
Original Poster

I think I will take the flight to Atlanta and leave at Toronto. Thanks FT.
Old Mar 18, 01, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you ask for political asylum...
Old Jun 20, 06, 9:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by ballplayer
I have a similar situation, except I WILL be checking baggage.

I will be going from BDL-YUL-YXU and my return trip is from YXU-YYZ-BDL. However, I'm just planning to stay in Toronto (YYZ) and not go back to Hartford (BDL).

When I'm checking my baggage, I am planning to just tell the ticketing agent that I have to drop off my luggage to someone in YYZ. I am a Canadian citizen so I should have no problem stopping in Toronto...but I want to avoid having my baggage go on to Hartford.

Do you think this will work?
why don't you just book your flight to toronto?
Old Jun 20, 06, 9:48 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by abasanti
I think the bigger question is why did you dig up a thread from 2001?
Old Jun 20, 06, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I think the bigger question is why did you dig up a thread from 2001?
Perhaps because the thread is appropriate?
Old Jun 20, 06, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abasanti

Since you get your luggage at YYZ to get it through immigration and US customs, should be a non-issue. Just grab it, go through Canadian customs/immigration and you are on your way.
Old Jun 20, 06, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
Since you get your luggage at YYZ to get it through immigration and US customs, should be a non-issue. Just grab it, go through Canadian customs/immigration and you are on your way.
Do bags come up on the regular carousel at T1, or are they not transfered to a Connecting Baggage carousel outside the PreClearance area at T2? If this is indeed the case, then abasante would have to head over to T2 to retrieve his/her bag before heading into the city. However, the final leg into the USA will be cancelled and money paid lost.

It is always nice to see someone take the time to do a Search, and continue a theme on an old thread. I congratulate, not chastize abasante.

Search this Thread