Wiki Posts
Search

who's leaving Aeroplan? Should I?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by CARose
I sent a follow up email to United after my status match was denied. After reading some of the replies to my post, I thought I would try one last time. Here is the response I got this week. I think the reason they are no longer offering status match to Alliance members is because of the CO merge. I have one week before my heavy travel starts to decide if I switch to UA the hard way or stay with AP. Here is the reply:
you have a PM, dont give up to easy. You just need to be creative.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:09 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I will be exploring the AA program this year....
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:34 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
UA Status match or not, the switch is still good.

It's not that tough to do it the hard way. If you're already Elite or higher, you still have all the Star Alliance benefits (except for premium boarding on UA).

The only difference from a status match or just switching is:
The first 25,000 miles you earn only 25,000 redeemable miles, no premier bonus.
From 25,000 miles to 50,000 miles, you earn only 125% redeemable miles vs 200% for Premier Executive.

After that you earn 200% redeemable miles on all AC & UA flights, correct?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
PS, as I have mentioned earlier we have had 3 people with "status match" or Status challenge.

Today I was very excited to get 16 tickets changed from AC yyz-yvr for a hockey team, now booked on West Jet... Naturally an email will follow to Calin
Were they actually booked on AC,refund issued,and re-booked on WJ?

Or were they thinking of booking AC and decided to book WJ?

Either way,both airlines need to fill a/c and these two carriers are doing so in the duopoly that exists in Canada.

BTW,based on original question ,I will stay with AC/AE
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
with Porter i think Canada would be a oligopoly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly

however on the YVR-YYZ for sure its a duopoly
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by acysb87

BTW,based on original question ,I will stay with AC/AE
Due to CC earn on AP and easy to burn miles for flights to NZ on NZ, I will stay with AP.
If UA had a Cdn based CC that could earn miles, I would switch to UA. Or, if I knew the two $$ would be at par forever, I would get a US based CC that earns to UA and make the switch.

AP and AC have decimated the Elite program for most Elites.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taupo
Due to CC earn on AP and easy to burn miles for flights to NZ on NZ, I will stay with AP.
If UA had a Cdn based CC that could earn miles, I would switch to UA. Or, if I knew the two $$ would be at par forever, I would get a US based CC that earns to UA and make the switch.

AP and AC have decimated the Elite program for most Elites.
Would agree with your observations of E program.I should soon be a lifetime E

Currently SE travelling a lot of NA,Program works for me personally
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:14 pm

works for me too, but have to adjust some of my trips minor...but shouldnt hit their bottom line
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
I'm not leaving AC but I am leaving the status game. Just bought a MLL membership from CIBC, scheduled to start Mar 1 when my status runs out. Doing three personal trips to start the year and in times past I would have bought them to get my status miles accumulating - this time all three are on miles. I haven't redeemed miles of my own for years, always saying "I'll buy this one to get the status, and do miles another time." No more. And when the points are used up (which will take a while!), or there are no good flights available, I'll buy Tango for myself. I easily spent more than $189 buying TP as part of chasing status.

Why? Because I got no upgrades all of last year, even trying to use my certs. So the only thing status offers is lounge and checkin, and the MLL membership takes care of that. I'm not trying to change AC's behaviour, I'm just changing mine.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ypqRD
I'm not trying to change AC's behaviour, I'm just changing mine.
I propose this wise quote as the quote of the month. ^
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by airbus320
I second that motion!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
FF are clearly not a priority at AC. I switched many years ago to US airlines with unlimited free upgrades etc., and never looked back. I still have AC miles. for what it's worth, on several occasions it was much easier to get business class Star Alliance rewards tickets on AC vs. Delta or LH.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jmr007
for what it's worth, on several occasions it was much easier to get business class Star Alliance rewards tickets on AC vs. Delta or LH.
Not sure how you would get Star alliance rewards from Delta?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ypqRD

Why? Because I got no upgrades all of last year, even trying to use my certs. So the only thing status offers is lounge and checkin, and the MLL membership takes care of that. I'm not trying to change AC's behaviour, I'm just changing mine.
If you had no upgrades all year and you were flying AC metal, I suspect you either have absolutely terrible luck or you only fly on the toughest routes to upgrade at the peak times.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airbus320
Not only the quote of the month but should also be the slogan for the next DO!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.