who's leaving Aeroplan? Should I?

Old Jan 13, 11, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by akqjt View Post
Thanks everyone. I do understand that no airline owes me anything and I agree they should exist to maximize their own profit. So as you say, I should look out for mine. Going back to the issue, I am not planning to fly to or through the US this year so most of the *A operators running out of Vancouver are not useful to me other than AC. So I suspect the choice is fairly binary between AC and CX. I take maybe 4-5 long trips per year and just want to maximize my upgrade potential. I've gotten so many AC upgrades in the last year and have gotten spoiled -- will I be able to get as many on CX?
IF you are unwilling to fly a US carrier your choice is rather limited. For Asia your obvious choice would have been UA, with its easy upgrades and cheap flights.
Your upgrades with AC Elite program have just been ruined..... so its time to give CX a try.
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly View Post
Your upgrades with AC Elite program have just been ruined..... so its time to give CX a try.
How do you get any upgrades with CX?
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
A few points to the OP.

What class of service do you pay to fly to HKG?
I fly Economy YVR-HKG, business is just insanely expensive.

Here were my experiences as a former Diamond with CX.
Thanks for that very useful stuff. Actually I have been op-upped by CX, but only on shorter regional flights (HKG-MNL, HKG-BKK); I do wonder what my chances of a HKG-YVR op-up are on CX compared to AC.

If your experience is typical, it may be better to stay with AC even with the new scheme...
Old Jan 13, 11, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm doing a hybrid migration this year. I'll accrue to Aeroplan to keep *A Gold status, but I won't be flying AC metal (except for 5 segments which I'll have to figure out eventually). Instead I'll be trying as much *A metal as I reasonably can.

This will give me a chance to properly evaluate other products before I decide next year which airline / program to make my final jump to. If all goes well I'll be flying 50K miles a year anyway so accruing to one program in 2012 and beyond should work out for me.
Old Jan 13, 11, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by akqjt View Post
It's very clear that people are upset with the benefits for 2011 being much weaker than previous editions. Today I am about to use my last certificate, possibly ever, but making the most of it going GRU-YYZ-YVR (some 15 hours total flight time). I am AC Elite and earned 67000 status miles in 2010. But most of my flights are long-haul. I fly mostly out of YVR and HKG and usually long-haul. As such, upgrades are of extreme value to me. Things like lounges and priority baggage are nice, but I really just care about flying in J. With the new system likely only giving me one long-haul upgrade for 2010, I am wondering if I should switch loyalties.

As a frequent HKG-YVR flier, the other obvious option is Cathay/MPC. But I don't know if I can make 90,000 miles to make it to MPC Gold in 2011, and MPC Silver does not seem that exciting. I also have no idea how liberal Cathay are with their upgrades, so maybe staying put with AC is better (I did get two AC op-ups this year in addition to my cert upgrades).

Sigh. Should I stay, or should I go?
When you say leave AE, you mean leave AC. Bit of a moot difference, but I solely collect AE points living in Canada because of the convenience of collecting such points. When I shop for a paid ticket, I usually choose the lowest priced ticket.. by upon point redemptions, we obtain enough points to fly as a family to Hawaii as an example at least once a year.

I understand that AC's program just got gutted, but the point system for redemption is still ok for me for now, because of the ease of obtaining points for reward redemption.

Again, my condolences for the significant gutting of AC's status miles program.
Old Jan 13, 11, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
I'm doing a hybrid migration this year. I'll accrue to Aeroplan to keep *A Gold status, but I won't be flying AC metal (except for 5 segments which I'll have to figure out eventually). Instead I'll be trying as much *A metal as I reasonably can.

This will give me a chance to properly evaluate other products before I decide next year which airline / program to make my final jump to. If all goes well I'll be flying 50K miles a year anyway so accruing to one program in 2012 and beyond should work out for me.
This is the best solution. Elites got ripped big time in 2011.
I will use my last SSWU and the rest of my flying is booked on *A.
Aegean and Asiana look like the best to put my miles right now.
Keeping status for another year (35,000) is a good idea but I am sure 2012 will be dreadful. I have lost trust in AP/AC and at this point taking what I can and the 2 mentioned look the best to me. Asiana will likely win as their service is solid and they have been a pleasure to fly.

I think RCyyz's above solution is the best for now.
AC will have to re-evaluate after losing FF this year.
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:37 pm
QNX

I considered switching to CX myself, haven't made the move yet, but as TRAVELSIG mentioned, you need to look closer into the details.

I'm SE with AC, I contacted CX for a status match, they asked me for a statement of my 2010 travel, then they only gave me silver. CX tiers reset whenver you reach each level, which means I have to fly 180K on CX metal during first year to reach Diamond.

I can do 180K on CX, but I was planning to keep my SE with AC too, doesn't seem like it since i will be doing only 230K this year.
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I don't understand anyone here - unless you can get to 100K status miles per year, Elite is still the best game in town. The combination of upgrades on international flights, easy earn and burn miles, and *G access everywhere makes it a unbeatable combination...especially for someone who flies 35-49K miles. True, AC has reduced the awesomeness of Elite, but it is still far and away the best program out there for the 35-74K traveller, and compares very well with 1P(75K) and CO Plat for the 75-99K range.

Aegean - I don't think CIBC or Amex are going to partner up with them for CC earning. No upgrades AT ALL! (one plus is that their Africa rewards are considerably cheaper)

Asiana - Redemptions are based on distance travelled - goodbye mini-RTWs! No Upgrades AT ALL!

United - Probably the best of the rest, especially for transboarder travellers. However, with the merge of UACO, the chances of being drowned out by the volume of FFers are quite high.
Old Jan 13, 11, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2012/13 /CIBC AP Gold/&BIS
I don't understand anyone here - unless you can get to 100K status miles per year, Elite is still the best game in town. The combination of upgrades on international flights, easy earn and burn miles, and *G access everywhere makes it a unbeatable combination...especially for someone who flies 35-49K miles. True, AC has reduced the awesomeness of Elite, but it is still far and away the best program out there for the 35-74K traveller, and compares very well with 1P(75K) and CO Plat for the 75-99K range.

Aegean - I don't think CIBC or Amex are going to partner up with them for CC earning. No upgrades AT ALL! (one plus is that their Africa rewards are considerably cheaper)

Asiana - Redemptions are based on distance travelled - goodbye mini-RTWs! No Upgrades AT ALL!

United - Probably the best of the rest, especially for transboarder travellers. However, with the merge of UACO, the chances of being drowned out by the volume of FFers are quite high.
I think the issue is the way AC cut so hard. I can understand a slight decrease in benefits though the fact is they cut so far this year and have for the last couple of years and that comfort people have is lost and now folks look to next year and further cuts will just be another kick in the head. There's no trust in AC.
Old Jan 13, 11, 6:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by getaround View Post
I think the issue is the way AC cut so hard. I can understand a slight decrease in benefits though the fact is they cut so far this year and have for the last couple of years and that comfort people have is lost and now folks look to next year and further cuts will just be another kick in the head. There's no trust in AC.
Actually there is trust that you can always look forward to more cuts
Old Jan 13, 11, 6:29 pm

There are three absolutes in life--Death, Taxes and AC reducing benefits for it's FFers. Enjoy
Old Jan 13, 11, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
How do you get any upgrades with CX?
Mileages.
Old Jan 13, 11, 11:11 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My girlfriend is seriously considering switching to UA for various reasons. The downside is that she will need to make sure to fly another 15k miles to hit the same level, and no lounge access without a RCC membership on domestic US flights. The upside is MUCH cheaper award redemption, UDU (which she should get on a fair number of the routes she flies) and perhaps stretching it out even further to 1K.
Old Jan 14, 11, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
My girlfriend is seriously considering switching to UA for various reasons. The downside is that she will need to make sure to fly another 15k miles to hit the same level, and no lounge access without a RCC membership on domestic US flights. The upside is MUCH cheaper award redemption, UDU (which she should get on a fair number of the routes she flies) and perhaps stretching it out even further to 1K.
hope for double mile promotion
Old Jan 14, 11, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated View Post
Mileages.
OK- but in this case you can also use aeroplan mileage for * upgrades.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: