Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

bereavement flight - how does it work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.

I never thought I was going to have to post something like this and not on a new years eve. I had words from home this morning that my parents house was found burnt to the ground and my parents are no where to be found. Most likely they perished in the fire. Forensic have yet to be able to access the site to search, due to heat.

I'm in Canada pursuing career options I have here. I have a return ticket with AC and I have travel insurance. Insurance company will only cover cost of the change of the return or a one way back to home (scandinavia) if it wasn't changeable. As my ticket is changeable I'm thinking of telling the insurance company "thanks but no thanks" for their offer of helping to change the return and just claim the cost when I land at home.

Under normal circumstances I know exactly what to do but at this moment I find myself completely lost.

And lord knows how I am to convince the insurance company that they should get me a YYZ-GOT-YYZ return instead. I practically have no home to go to as I lived on my parents farm.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Truely awful news. I'm sorry that you have to travel under these circumstances.

Air Canada has bereavement fares: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...reavement.html

Or you can use Aeroplan miles if you have enough.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:40 pm

That is terrible news. So sorry to hear!

Bereavement fares are generally not a very good deal - a certain percentage off full fare. They are quite flexible, of course.

Right now, you can get a ticket on AC leaving tomorrow YYZ to GOT via CPH and returning two weeks later (via MUC, LHR, etc.) for $1150 all in. $250 allows you to make changes. This is most likely going to be cheaper than a bereavement fare.

Perhaps just keeping your current ticket as is and getting a separate return would make most sense?

Best of luck dealing with this difficult situation!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: 50K
I think the others have answered your question and I hope you get the help you need. Just want to send you my best wishes in what is a very terrible situation for you. Godspeed
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Wow... that;s absolutely shocking and terrible news Emma65. My condolences for your awful situation.

Breavement fares only apply to international itineraries and gennerally offer 75% of Y fares. Normally the market conditions offer cheaper fares but considering the time of year and busy flights, the breavement fare might work. However you will require the credit card capacity to purchase the full fare. Once the particulars are confirmed and the funeral home can contact AC and provide death certificate, the fare difference gets added back onto your card.

Other options for you to consider.

BUF is an option that brings together USA airlines (anyone at this point UA thru ORD/IAD, CO thru EWR, DL to JFK. etc.)

I can see DL two stop option (BUF-DTW-AMS-GOT and return) for $824 ai CAD leave Jan 1 return Jan 15.

There is a one stop option on DL (BUF-JFK-CPH and return) for $1000, but that only gets you to CPH.

Let the FT community know if there is anything else you need.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:07 pm

I'm very sorry to hear aboukt your loss. Hopefully your parents weren't home.

Further to what others posted I would not bother with bereavement fares. I made the mistake of booking a berevement fare years ago; I wasn't thinking straight and it turns out I would have been way better off buying a last minute ticket.

A few other points to consider...

1) If you are on a flexible ticket, AC will often waive change fees because of a death in the family. You could consider going home and book another return ticket at an appropriate time.

2) If you want to book a separate trip home (with a return to Canada), you could check with the insurance company to see if they'll give you a partial refund up to the amount of the change fees they would have covered.

Again, my condolences.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Breavement fare web address:

Delta:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ment/index.jsp

Continental:
https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...n/default.aspx

United:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0...ompassionfares
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Emma65
I never thought I was going to have to post something like this and not on a new years eve.
That is indeed tragic news. Please accept my sincerest condolences at this very difficult time.

I can't add anything to the advice you have received so far. Just wanted to pass along my sympathies !
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA,LH,AC
First my sympathies for the terrible situation you are in.

Have you considered Aeroplan? You could leave on Sunday for 60000 miles and $425 for the return. I went through this same situation with my father and having to get back to the U.K. the next day. The Aeroplan option was the cheapest and easiest.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG/MArriott Plat
Deepest sympathies from my wife and I. I don't have anything to add to your options and wish you the best getting home.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
My deepest sympathies and condolences.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP,

So sorry to hear this news and my deepest condolences go out to you. Hopefully your parents were not home at the time of the fire.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Dear OP,

Just saw this and I'm truly, truly sorry. My deepest condolences. I hope you can sort out a flight with minimal difficulties.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So sorry to hear about your news....
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Unhappy

I'd like to add my condolences as well... Sorry for your loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.