AC Employees & Aéroplan

Old Mar 5, 2001, 10:22 am
Original Poster

AC Employees & Aéroplan

This is something I have started to wonder recently - are employees of Air Canada allowed to:
[*]be a member of Aéroplan[*]accrue Aéroplan miles and acheive status[*]redeem Aéroplan miles

[?]
Old Mar 5, 2001, 12:58 pm

Yes, yes, yes.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If you prick them, do they not bleed? Why should AC employees not be entitled to be members? Like the rest of us, should they not be able to earn credits as long as they pay eligible rates for partner services, and fly on eligible revenue tickets? I bet they can also get Aerogold and Diners Club cards too.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 2:40 pm

One of my family members works for AC , and as a result I can fly " family affair" (Qfamily fare class.) Very cheap but it does not accrue any FF benefits or aeroplan points.

I find it's actually better to accrue the points on a slightly higher Q or L fare, and enjoy the resultant status than to fly on Fanily Affair...
Old Mar 5, 2001, 2:55 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Yes, AC employees are even allowed to get credit cards that will earn them Aeroplan miles. They can use these points for free travel for friends or family or even themselves because it's a lot easier than using those standby passes.

However, a lot of employees didn't know or think that they can earn Aeroplan points because they are employees.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 3:21 pm

Responders: right you are. I, for example, have an Aeroplan account and a CIBC Aerogold credit card. Today, as a matter of fact, I registered with Future Shop to enhance my point building potential.

Empress is dead on saying that having these points are a great backup to standby travel for us. I'll do anything to avoid (God forbid) actually having to buy a ticket. How I get from A to B is not a priority; just that fact that I can.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 3:23 pm

Drat - did it again. I think it's this site. I keep getting "Connection Timed Out" and then my post shows up in duplicate.

[This message has been edited by A Flygirl (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old Mar 5, 2001, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Now this is interesting. As far as I know, most other carriers prohibit employees from holding FF accounts. So that means even an employee of Aeroplan Division can earn AC miles[?]
Old Mar 5, 2001, 4:48 pm

Programs: AE
You bet, Flyboy. Although I do not get points for actual travel (standby like Flygirl), the ability to collect miles for rewards (CONFIRMED travel) are too enticing to not have a membership.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Not that I am suggesting anything here, but wouldn't that mean -- in theory -- that AC Aeroplan agent could give themselves miles without people noticing[?]
Old Mar 5, 2001, 4:59 pm

You are helpless Flyboy...
Old Mar 5, 2001, 5:09 pm

Programs: AE
Theft is not the way to operate, Flyboy. Giving unearned AE miles to accounts is considered theft and grounds for dismissal. I enjoy my job and the benefits far more than to consider something so unscrupulous.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 5:24 pm

CPYVR...right on!!!
Old Mar 5, 2001, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I guess @home is playing up again, A FlyGirl. I've gotten timed out messages several times this afternoon on this board.

FlyBoy, what other airlines prohibit their employees from becoming members in their FF programs? Please substantiate that statement, because being a member of a FF program is no different from having an Air Miles card if you work for the Bay or Dominion or Safeway, so as to earn Air Miles on your purchases if they are eligible. FF programs are not like contests where there can be a potential conflict of interest by having employees and their families participate.

As for you insinuation that AC/Aeroplan employees can "pad" the accounts of themselves and relatives, you've moved to a new low. Every time I think, maybe it is time for a rapproachment, you lay one of these down. Are you seeking to take over from ozstamps or something? Maybe the mayo went to your head... or their was something else in that BA sekt you were drinking last Wednesday night?
Old Mar 5, 2001, 7:18 pm

Same here Shareholder, A Flygirl, my @home is very very slow today, I was afriad the "cable" light might go out anytime again!

Shareholder, CPYVR:
As for Flyboy, I'll just ignore him, that was a stupid question that he raised {as usual} that does not even deserve a response. That's nothing more than an insult to honest, hard working Aeroplan employees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.