AC Employees & Aéroplan

Old Mar 5, 2001, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Shareholder:
...what other airlines prohibit their employees from becoming members in their FF programs?
I was under the impression that most airlines state that employees are ineligible to take part in FF program. Sorta like those contests to win stuff, where they say employees and their family members may not enter, etc. I may be mistaken, but I put it to you: which other carriers let employees join their FF program? I am asking this out of genuine curiosity...
Old Mar 5, 2001, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I have been getting the same timeout/duplicate message problem too, but I use Bell's DSL so I think the problem is on the FlyerTalk end.

I don't think it would be possible for an Aeroplan agent to steal miles because I'm sure mileage credits have to be accounted for, and it surely would be considered theft/fraud. It's like suggesting that a bank teller could pocket extra cash because they work in a bank.

I know that Starwood employees can participate in Starwood Preferred Guest, or at least they were able to when it used to be Sheraton Club International.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Why should I do your homework, Fly Boy. You made the statement. Prove there is an airline that does not let their employees belong to the FF program. I have better things to do with my time.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I know that the one thing that stopped me from considering working for British Airways was that I would have to give up my membership in Executive Club, and all my miles. If this is not the case, I'd be very interested in knowing. The inability to participate in FF programs has been the one deterrent from working in the industry for me.
I have better things to do with my time.
I also have better things to do with my time than look up things like this, otherwise I would not have asked in the first place.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb

Neutral corners, please...
Old Mar 6, 2001, 9:42 am

I am working for Scandinavian Airlines System(SAS). Alot of SAS employees are member of EuroBonus and the company doesnt have anything to say about that. I will probably achieve silver status this year
Old Mar 6, 2001, 3:01 pm
Original Member

I do believe that airline employees are -prohibited- from being a member of most of the US airlines' clubs (red carpet, admirals, etc).
Old Mar 6, 2001, 3:16 pm

jamiel, I know that AA prohibits their employees and US Airways employees from joining the Admirals Club.

But I know a former Eastern Airlines pilot who belonged to their Ionosphere Club back in the day. Perhaps it varies between airlines?
Old Mar 6, 2001, 3:38 pm

Flyer Al I think you have hit the nail on the head. I can only give examples from my experience and knowledge (limited as it is) in the airline industry.

In my earlier days with Wardair, we, as employees, were not allowed to enrol in Wardair's short-lived FF program. As an employee of Cdn. we could not only enrol in the FF program; we were eligible to purchase yearly memberships to the Empress Lounge.

As a newly adopted AC employee, I can enrol and build an Aeroplan account but I cannot buy my way into being excepted as a ML lounge member. I could I suppose if I spent lots of money buying and flying on paid tickets but who in my position would be nuts enough to do that!

Conclusion, as you have reached too: it's individual airline policy that governs employee participation in the various airline programs.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:12 pm

A Flygirl, I'm curious what happens to CP employees who bought an Empress Lounge membership. Would they not be honoured in the MLL?
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:29 pm

Sadly no. They were allowed to expire with renewal or conversion not an option under the amalgamation of the programs. They were originally bought as an "employee perk" on a yearly basis through Cdn. administration. I think (I'd have to check with someone I know had a membership) the cost towards the end was about $275.00 for a year's admittance.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:49 pm

Fly Girl

You could have a friend who is a Diners Club Maple Leaf member get a second card for you.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 5:27 pm
ALW

You could have a friend who is a Diners Club Maple Leaf member get a second card for you.
We can do better than that for our Flygirl! I'm sure we could all chip in for a MLL DC card. [Not to suggest in any way that AF can't afford one, but it would be one of those 'never buy it for yourself' things].

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old Mar 6, 2001, 5:28 pm

Thanks GreyOwl but I'd rather walk proudly in the front door of a MLL area solo with the confidence that I have a right to be there than be accepted through the generosity of a benevolent benefactor and possibly considered a backdoor entrant looking for...whatever.

That aside, I think it would be a excellent bond towards building employee and customer understanding and recognition if some of us were allowed in so that we could converse with the higher tier customers in an informal setting.

Just imagine the intellegence, to the benefit of both sides, that could be exchanged, digested or acted upon.

You I assume, frequent the lounges on a regular basis. Have you ever had the availability of an employee for the type of informal conversation that I am suggesting? Can you see the potential?
Old Mar 6, 2001, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

I have taken staff in to the MLL as my guest. MLL Agent gave them a nasty look as we walked in, which I thought was mean. I also heard AC took away Empress Club benefits from CPers, too bad...

Re MLL Diners Club credit card: Does anyone know if this card allows supplementary (second) cards to be issued for spouses etc? I thought it was only for use of one cardholder with no exception[?]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.