Roots Air

Old Feb 10, 2001, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Roots Air

There was an ad in todays Vancouver Sun B12 that Roots Air takes to the skies on 26 March.

Competition is good, is it not?
Old Feb 10, 2001, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC MM
The ad didn't make sense, though (at least, the one in the Globe and Mail didn't) - it referred to business travellers in the first line of text, but had a large picture of a child as the focal point in the middle/
Old Feb 10, 2001, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
RootsAir's whole campaign is the "air of serenity" that they intend to bring to the front cabin, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, a place to retreat and harken back to those more peaceful days of idyllic childhood... While I agree, it certainly doesn't directly convey a message about a business airline, the image is the first thing they want to create, to differentiate themselves from the normal image of the airline. Don't know which agency they have hired, but remember, this is being launched by the man who spearheaded Cdn's image of helpful people at the airport, passengers walking across wings to get onto a CP jet from an AC one, and other sorts of soft marketing to forge an image first, then introduce the product that supposedly lives up to that image.
Old Mar 1, 2001, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Ad in today's NATIONAL POST from RootsAir, this time extolling the virtues of its Silver Class service. This is the first one I have seen which actually gives fares, and it sets out to compare AC's unrestricted Hospitality fare ($2,574 YYZ-YYC and $3,074 YYZ-YVR) to its own middle cabin service ($1,812 YYZ-YYC and $2,162 YYZ-YVR).

The headline reads: "Hey, you in the back of the plane. Can we get you anything? As in great service and an upgrade to a separate cabin in the middle of the plane for less than their full-fare economy?"

The fare offers access to its flagship lounge, and a level of service it calls "exceptional". This suggests RootsAir will attack the upgrade issue by promising all the benefits of flying AC if one is an Elite [save for the Aeroplan points]: larger seat, separate cabin, enhanced service and food, etc. All at a price about 25% less than AC's.

Of course, the previously announced Gold Class service is an enhanced business class product for the AC full fare Hospitality price. Again an attack for Elites by promising a virtual upgrade to a "superior" domestic business class for the same price they'd pay to upgrade on AC.

I guess they will launch their Bronze Class product in the next week or so, giving us an idea of what the "back of the bus" is going to be like.
Old Mar 1, 2001, 2:34 pm

Originally posted by Shareholder:
I guess they will launch their Bronze Class product in the next week or so, giving us an idea of what the "back of the bus" is going to be like.
This is what I am really interested in hearing. I wonder how, these days, they would manage to create a *truly* distictive Economy product[?] Perhaps seatback entertainment + free booze or something[?] Maybe they will try and mirror Emirates Economy product, that would be nice!... Thanks for the informative post Shareholder!

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old Mar 1, 2001, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally posted by Shareholder:
This suggests RootsAir will attack the upgrade issue by promising all the benefits of flying AC if one is an Elite [save for the Aeroplan points]:
Looks like the FFP hole is being addressed: Roots Air FFP teaser
Old Mar 3, 2001, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This morning RootsAir is running a small ad in the Toronto Star offering YYZ-YVR and YYZ-YYC introductory fares in their Bronze class cabin for $325 and $299 respectively. Travel is for the first week of its service, March 26th through 31st, tickets must be purchsed within 72-hours of booking and are non-refundable, though changes can be made for $100.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
YYZ-YVR roundtrip is $347.75 after taxes. A very good fare, I wonder if AC will match this. Will 6J be an Aeroplan partner in time for this service?
Old Mar 3, 2001, 9:36 am

Roots is offering 90 day, unlimited travel in its Gold cabin for just under $20,000. See Roots Gold Card. No a bad deal if your status is secure with AC and you fly a lot of paid J anyway. Now the real question is if AC will match that?
Old Mar 3, 2001, 11:06 am
ALW

I have a couple of questions on this, one answerable the other probably not.

1. What's Gold Service? I'm sure it's been posted here, but all I can find on their site is "2 business classes". A hole in their site, if they're quoting service classes by name but not defining.

2. Any guesses on whether FF points will be awarded for flights on this card? And if they have partners by then, partner points? Could one get ExecPlat or similar for $20k by flying to YVR/YYC regularly for 90 days? Would it be worth it? (Let's say, (a) actually spending a day or two at the destination, (b) only staying sometimes).

(My itinerary:
1. Walk to Westboro Transitway.
2. #95 bus to Ottawa station.
3. Via to Dorval.
4. Gold Card flight on Roots to Vancouver.
5. Steps 1-4 in reverse order.
6. Shake, and repeat.)

[okay maybe there aren't enough miles in three months, 13 weekends times what, just under 6k miles YUL-YVR in Gold (assuming 25% bonus) is still only 78k]

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old Mar 3, 2001, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess you missed this part of my post from the other day, Andrew:

"Of course, the previously announced Gold Class service is an enhanced business
class product for the AC full fare Hospitality price. Again an attack for Elites by
promising a virtual upgrade to a "superior" domestic business class for the same
price they'd pay to upgrade on AC."

RootsAir will offer front cabin GOLD, middle cabin SILVER, and back of the plane BRONZE. Still no word on FF program, except there was an article a couple of weeks ago indicating RootsAir had applied to be an Aeroplan partner, but AC was being very slow in responding, thus leading to this current state of uncertainty. AC may argue, since RootsAir is part of a large charter carrier, it should not fall under the Competitions Board definition of carriers Aeroplan must give affiliation to.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 4:03 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I think we should hope that RootsAir will become very successful, therefore giving AC some motivation to change their J cabin, have new bonus promotions and lower some of their fares in order to keep up with the competition.

I called RootsAir and found that RootsAir's seating arrangement will be as follows:

A320:
Gold Class: 2-2 {They insist that it's 2-2-2 but that's impossible on a A320}
Silver Class: 3-3 {Again they insist that it's 3-3-3 but it's not possible}
Bronze Class: 3-3

They told me there's a total of 240 seats on the A320, again that's not possible and they insist that they didn't get mixed up with the A330.

A330:
Gold Class: 2-2-2
Silver Class: 2-4-2
Bronze Class: 2-4-2

Seat pitch:
Gold Class: 45"
Silver Class: 35"
Bronze Class: 31"

Was also told that no in seat entertainment {no in seat TV but there's in seat audio} in any class.

In my opinion, if AC continue to fly international config J class on some of their transcon flights, I'll continue to fly them.

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old Mar 3, 2001, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that 2-4-4 in Silver on a 330 a typo on your part, Empress? Interesting about not offering inflight entertainment. I find that very odd. How is one to pass 3-1/2 to 4 hours on a transcon without at least music? The person you spoke with does not sound as if they are quite with it. I would at least expect to have at seat audio, as well as some form of TV player (DVD or 8mm tapes)?
Old Mar 3, 2001, 4:17 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Sorry Shareholder... bunch of typos above.

I meant In seat entertainment as in no in seat TV but there will be in seat audio, she said she was sure about it as there will only be a big screen showing movies.

The seating should have been 2-4-2 in bronze and silver on the A330. {I'll change it in the above post}.

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old Mar 3, 2001, 4:50 pm
ALW

Shareholder, I remembered reading it but couldn't recall the details. They should be on the Roots site but they're not (I don't mean Empress's details necessarily).

From what you both posted, it sounds like Gold is Business Class, Silver is like UA's Economy Plus, and Bronze is economy, at least in terms of seating. And that I'd be even less happy in Roots economy than on AC, as Shareholder has posted before regarding the Virgin Air model.

Thanks guys!

andrew

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.