Snow storm in T.O.?

Old Mar 3, 2001, 2:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Snow storm in T.O.?

I am scheduled to fly MIA-YYZ tomorrow evening (AC919). I called AC today to confirm my upgrade to J Class and was told that a snow storm is to hit the North East Coast of the U.S. tomorrow evening. Apparently I was calling Tampa (I had no idea that AC had a call center in Tampa). The agent was not sure if the storm would hit Toronto.

Will this be heading for Toronto? Should I re-schedule my flight? I can't seem to find any relaible info on the net...
Old Mar 3, 2001, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Try this: http://weather.ec.gc.ca/forecast/yyz.html
Seems like "light snow" from late tonight until tomorrow about noon. They will update this at 15:30EST so you will get a better idea then.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 2:09 pm

Try checking the weather from Environment Canada at http://www.weatheroffice.com

Doesn't look too bad right now. Light snow will cause some delays. But since the Miami flights are packed on weekends right now, these will be the last North American flights to be cancelled.

Since the flights are packed, rebooking probably isn't an option. Just check the estimated departure time tomorrow before heading down to the airport.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 2:10 pm

Tampa? An AC agent in Tampa told you there would be snow in Toronto? Of course they did. There is always snow in Toronto. This is Canada. To American's (no offense intended), we live in igloos under 7 feet of snow.

Hit:
http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeat...dStates/Radar/

There is a big system moving up the east coast. But it will give Toronto a big miss.

Also, the best place for weather is the Environment Canada site. I hit their "Synopsis" daily....they write an overview of the weather systems and from that, you'll get the best idea as to what is going to happen. All we got happening in Toronto is a 'lil ol prairie schooner comin' down from Thunder Bay.

The Environment Canada guys are often quite funny in their writeups...

See http://weather.ec.gc.ca/text/fpcn10.wto.htm

and
http://weather.ec.gc.ca/text/ontario_e.shtml

Such tools are indispensible to FT'er
Old Mar 3, 2001, 2:12 pm

Dupe

[This message has been edited by InTheAirGuy (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old Mar 3, 2001, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I just came in and it is a beautiful, chilly sunny day here. Few clouds in the sky, and it certainly doesn't look like snow fomr my vantage point...
Old Mar 3, 2001, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Flyaway, don't worry about the YYZ weather tomorrow, it looks fine. I'm also scheduled to travel on 919 tomorrow night. There is a major storm, but it looks like Toronto is not in its path.

All US AC res calls go to Tampa, and have done for some time now. (Very friendly agents there.)

InTheAirGuy You're right. Americans all seem to think snow and bad weather when you mention Toronto. (Unfortunately, they're right!)

[This message has been edited by After Burner (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old Mar 4, 2001, 12:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm glad that the storm will miss T.O.. Truth be told I don't feel like leaving MIA before 19:30!

My upgrade has not yet been cleared. Apparently the flight is fully booked (ITN confirms this). However, it always stresses me out when there is a chance that I wont get upgraded after paying Y/M fare

AfterBurner: Will you be flying J class?

[This message has been edited by Flyaway (edited 03-04-2001).]
Old Mar 4, 2001, 1:03 am

InTheAirGuy,

Ya'll mean ya don't??
Old Mar 4, 2001, 7:17 am

Flyaway, I just checked my reservation and I was mistaken. I'm actually on AC3238 at 3:00pm. However, I managed to get out of tomorrow's Toronto commitment so I'll be changing it to later this week (Thursday?).
MIA-YYZ flights are wide open this week so an upgrade (I'm M class) will be no problem.

Bracing myself for the cold front coming through tomorrow
Old Mar 4, 2001, 6:15 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The Weather Network is now saying that we'll get some of the storm..

Up to 15cm in the Toronto Area, 20cm in Niagara and Kingston Area by Tue morning. Environment Canada is calling it a bit differently though with less amount of snow in Toronto.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens at YYZ as we haven't got a big one in a while! Good to get it out of the way before I travel again on Thurs!
Old Mar 4, 2001, 6:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Well I am presently in the ClubAmerica "F" lounge. As it turns out flight 919 is delayed until 8:25pm. I am not sure if the delay is the cause of bad weather scheduled to hit the MIA area this evening....
Old Mar 4, 2001, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Hmmm...as long as I'm able to drive to/from work in Oakville tomorrow evening, I'm happy.
Old Mar 4, 2001, 6:35 pm

I am not sure if the delay is the cause of bad weather scheduled to hit the MIA area this evening....

isn't it the other way around??

It's pretty calm here, but I'm seeing some lightening bolts over in the direction of the airport.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 12:38 am
Original Member
Original Poster

As it turns out, I made it back to T.O. safe and sound albeit over an hour behind schedule.

Had a pleasant surprise at MIA airport. Nice meeting you SA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.