FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   still another reduction of elite benefits? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1164194-still-another-reduction-elite-benefits.html)

auerbal Dec 25, 2010 9:47 pm

still another reduction of elite benefits?

I thought elites could book bulkhead seats, but current policy states this only goes for Latitude fares. Another diminution of benefits or are there work arounds?
link: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html
Preferred seat selection is complimentary for
Air Canada Super Elite members – with a Tango Plus or Latitude fare;
Air Canada Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members with other airlines - with a Latitude fare.

bakersdozen Dec 25, 2010 9:54 pm

bulkheads still work... not exit rows. It's secret'ish. They were going to get rid of them but I think the complaints made them go back to bulkheads working.

NAJetSet Dec 25, 2010 11:03 pm

another interesting tidbit... when the iphone app came out it did not block preferred seats when doing mobile check in. so you could reselect any unoccupied seat, including bulkhead, exit, ect.:D

it has been corrected since:td:

travelblond Dec 25, 2010 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by auerbal (Post 15523076)
I thought elites could book bulkhead seats, but current policy states this only goes for Latitude fares. Another diminution of benefits or are there work arounds?
link: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html
Preferred seat selection is complimentary for
Air Canada Super Elite members – with a Tango Plus or Latitude fare;
Air Canada Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members with other airlines - with a Latitude fare.

Preferred seats are mainly located in exit rows and can be purchased,

Bulkhead should still be OK...

I do hope they don't take that benefit away too as there will be nothing left for Elite members. 2011 benefits have been cut 70% already -- how much more damage does AP/AC want to do to Elites?

D582 Dec 25, 2010 11:29 pm

You can choose the bulkhead seats for free. When you do seat selection, they come up as preferred seats, complimentary and the icon is a blue seat with a star (instead of a gold seat with a star)

Originally Posted by NAJetSet (Post 15523311)
another interesting tidbit... when the iphone app came out it did not block preferred seats when doing mobile check in. so you could reselect any unoccupied seat, including bulkhead, exit, ect.:D

it has been corrected since:td:

Aren't you always able to choose preferred seats at check-in time without charge? That's always what I've done sometimes to get exit rows.

cavitron Dec 26, 2010 2:10 am

Originally Posted by auerbal (Post 15523076)

That's a pretty chintzy move. :td:

For flights in NA, there's not much of a point of offering it with a Latitude fare as pretty much the only thing you can do cheaply (eupgrades-wise) is upgrade a domestic Latitude fare.

soconn Dec 26, 2010 3:09 am

Another nickle and dime change for 2011... AC must have been been rubbing shoulders with Ryan air execs.

painintheuk Dec 26, 2010 10:09 am

I have booked the bulkhead window for every flight I took this year (where there was a bulkhead). I actually looked at this as a big benefit.

I had a TA book a ticket for me last week and she was not able to book a bulkhead seat for me. I assumed that it had already been taken. I just did a dummy booking on ac.com and the seat is open on both legs. I'll call AC on Monday and see if they can move me.

I also thought that we were supposed to be able to modify all ac bookings, regardless of how they were made, but it says that I have to call my TA or AC reservations.

Dr. PITUK

Rejuvenated Dec 26, 2010 10:43 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 15524911)
I had a TA book a ticket for me last week and she was not able to book a bulkhead seat for me. I assumed that it had already been taken. I just did a dummy booking on ac.com and the seat is open on both legs. I'll call AC on Monday and see if they can move me.

Perhaps when your TA looked up the seats someone had already taken it but by the time you checked it on ac.com those who previously occupied their seat ended up canceling the reservations, hence freeing up those bulkhead seats?

painintheuk Dec 26, 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated (Post 15525069)
Perhaps when your TA looked up the seats someone had already taken it but by the time you checked it on ac.com those who previously occupied their seat ended up canceling the reservations, hence freeing up those bulkhead seats?

I hope so! I'll post once I call AC.

Dr. PITUK

yyzgigi Dec 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 15524911)
I have booked the bulkhead window for every flight I took this year (where there was a bulkhead). I actually looked at this as a big benefit.

I also thought that we were supposed to be able to modify all ac bookings, regardless of how they were made, but it says that I have to call my TA or AC reservations.

Dr. PITUK

Not sure about you, but my travel agency never has access to the preferred seating (bulkhead and exit row) it shows blocked to them. They have to call AC directly to get them to move it. They do however have access to the priority seating, when my SE number is on the file.

avmca2050 Dec 28, 2010 8:52 am

This has been discussed a few times before, Elites can still choose bulkhead seats on T+ fares but have to call-in. This is not clearly stated on 2010 and 2011 benefits package, but AY confirmed 6 months ago it was still an Elite benefit.

However, since it is not clearly stated as an Elite benefit, AC can of course take it away at any time without notification. :td:

painintheuk Dec 28, 2010 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated (Post 15525069)

I just called in and booked it no problem. I rarely use a travel agent so it's not been a problem before.

So the benefit still seems to be there. Sorry for any panic :).

Dr. PITUK

avmca2050 Dec 28, 2010 11:31 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 15536238)
I just called in and booked it no problem.

But isn't it annoying that AC I.T. department cant fix this problem and a phone call is required after booking to move the seats? Waste of valuable customers and AC customer service agents time :td:

helraiser Dec 28, 2010 11:42 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you sign in at ac.com prior to booking your flight, your status will be recognized and you'll then be able to determine if you can book bulkheads or not. If you're just looking for seats on ac.com as a guest (without signing in) like the Elite section, these seats will show up with a cost attached.

I've had no issues selecting bulkhead seats for free this entire year as I always sign in before doing anything on ac.com. I could however see the issue when going thru a TA.