Bottomfeeder Pride

Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Bottomfeeder Pride

Bottom feeders have been getting a bad rap in some of the threads, but I personally embrace it as a compliment. This year I've been away from home 25% of the time (~92 nights) all for leisure travel.

I'm not fantastically wealthy either, working 15-20 hours a week with a full course load in school. So yes, in fact I want to spend the least amount of money on travel. Flexibility is of no value to me so I have no use for Lat fares. I've flown in the back plenty of times and expect I will be flying long haul in the back again. AC set the criteria, I jumped through the hoops and got a decent set of benefits in 2010. All my segments on AC this year have been upfront with the exception of one short haul, all off the lowest T+ fares (and an olympic promo 2-for-1 M fare). Moreover even if I had chosen to spend the money on more expensive fares, it would of gotten me 0 benefit. By avoiding the busiest travel days of the week all of my upgrades cleared without issue, and there were still empty seats in J for all of my long haul flights.

Being a bottom feeder is true to the spirit of Flyertalk, maximize benefit minimize cost. Next year my main loss will be the Tier bonus, but I'll maintain at least a r/t in J and probably have credits left over if they do a summer promo for reduced credits.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:43 pm

Pennypinchers unite!

I'm a 100% self-funded, mostly-leisure-travel SE with a love of travel and a eye for value. If AC is provides value for my dollar, they get it. If not, hello BUF...

I would take a look at Lat fares if my T+ int'l upg percentage was less than 100%, but it isn't, so I don't.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi my name is RoninTech and I'm an Aeroplan bottomfeeder too. Although I'm in the lowest of the low infrequent flyer category. This year we've collected 240,000 Aeroplan miles with none earned from flying. Our only flight this year was a mini RTW in F. Next year we are paying our own way (trip to Thailand in coach) and then the following year another mini RTW in F.

Assuming a similar availability of miles to the industrious bottomfeeder, it looks like we'll be able to book an F mini-RTW every 12-18 months or so. I'd like to thank Amex, CIBC, Rexall and Quaker Oatmeal for making our next big trip possible.

Happy Holidays all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.