Question: NC Headphones attached to IFE

Old Dec 24, 10, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC/AP-Elite, *G, HH-G
NC Headphones attached to IFE

Good day to all. This is my first post on FT. I've been AC-E for 4 years, and have been reading FT for a long while.

Why is it that I am required to leave my noise-cancelling headphones off until after take-off? I asked the FA and she said it was to ensure I paid attention during the safety briefing and whatnot. The sound for the wonderful video we are all familiar with comes through the IFE as well as the cabin speakers, and earbud style earphones are allowed.....

I fly regularly with other *A carriers and never have a problem. In fact I wear them more on other carriers; as I have to take off the headphones during those repetitive commercials played at a high volume I can't adjust on AC.
Old Dec 24, 10, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Welcome to FT. It's probably something to do with the gov't...
Old Dec 24, 10, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
What if the IFE and or PA went down, and emergency instructions were given by mouth? You might not hear the all of the instructions by the time you got your comfy headphones off.

It has nothing to do with Star Alliance policies and everything to do with Transport Canada, and in the US the federal aviation administration, ect.

TC generally will be one of the last to adopt something that other sister agencies around the world have adopted. they tend to like to stand back and watch how well things fair with the change before changing things at home. After all, it was just in November of this year when cell phones were permitted to be used after leaving active runways. And, not to long ago to permit ear bud earphones during take off and landing.
Old Dec 24, 10, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NAJetSet View Post
And, not to long ago to permit ear bud earphones during take off and landing.
Even then the airlines have to apply for permission - for a long time you could wear ear buf earphones on AC flights but not Jazz because Jazz did not yet have permission.
Old Dec 24, 10, 1:44 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
There are noise-cancelling earbud-style headphones available now, too. Buy a set of them and your problem is solved.
Old Dec 24, 10, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
If you listen to the announcements before take-off, you'll hear them say, every time, all electronics must be off - not sure about AC, but on UA, they often specify, if it has an on/off switch, it must be in the off position. Noise-cancelling headphones (at least the traditional, over the ear ones) have that on/off switch - it must be off.

That's kind of the end of that - it's the rule - a government one at that, it's not AC's rule. On *A carriers too, at least when in North America (I usually fly domestic/transborder, so can't speak to other countries/carriers). Earbud-style headphones do not have this on/off switch - and they are allowed. In addition, since all electronics are required to be off, the only thing that they are really useful for during take off is to be plugged into the IFE, which pauses and had the announcements when they are made.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap pair of earbuds, or use the ones that come with your ipod, and use them until after take off, then switch to your noise-cancelling headphones after take off when electronics are allowed.
Old Dec 24, 10, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
My suggestion is to buy a cheap pair of earbuds, or use the ones that come with your ipod, and use them until after take off, then switch to your noise-cancelling headphones after take off when electronics are allowed.
I kept the AC cheap ear bud type (free on certain J) and use them on the ground, then switch to my own Bose noise cancelling headphone.
Old Dec 24, 10, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
If you listen to the announcements before take-off, you'll hear them say, every time, all electronics must be off - not sure about AC, but on UA, they often specify, if it has an on/off switch, it must be in the off position. Noise-cancelling headphones (at least the traditional, over the ear ones) have that on/off switch - it must be off.

That's kind of the end of that - it's the rule - a government one at that, it's not AC's rule. On *A carriers too, at least when in North America (I usually fly domestic/transborder, so can't speak to other countries/carriers). Earbud-style headphones do not have this on/off switch - and they are allowed. In addition, since all electronics are required to be off, the only thing that they are really useful for during take off is to be plugged into the IFE, which pauses and had the announcements when they are made.

But it's not just noise canceling headphones that are banned. On AC, anything that goes over your ears is banned; anything that goes in them is ok. My understanding of the difference was that if you had to evacuate, earbud style headphones would rip out (even if it hurt), while over/behind the head headphones could inhibit your movement.

Search this Thread