Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Report from the Front: All quiet at YYZ T1 this Christmas Eve

Old Dec 24, 10, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold

Having witnessed the chaos of the airports at this time of year I normally travel a couple of days ahead of Christmas to get back to Edmonton. This year I booked a ticket for Christmas Eve, albeit the early afternoon flight. Expecting hordes of people today I booked a limo to YYZ for 3-hours ahead of flight time but even the Gardiner and 427 were deserted at 10a. It took less than 20-minutes to make it to T1 and again I was quite surprised to see no back up lines of cars dropping people off at the departures level. Inside, again no evidence of the bustle one generally finds late morning at T1, let alone the expectant mobs for this day.

Bit of a delay at the SE check-in as a large family was being checked in for YVR/HKG but after that I had my bags of gifts checked in and I was on my way to the next hurdle...security. Once again I was amazed by the lack of line ups but even though every door was without backup, I headed for the Nexus one. That went just as quickly and smoothly as everything else this morning and the MLL is surprisingly quiet and moderately populated.

I know I missed the real crowds by a few hours, one of the advantages of annoying early morning flights. At the moment there are only five people in J, though I expect if the back is overbooked they will move some folks up. I will also keep my eye open for any Canadian Forces personnel who might be at the gate and check with the gate agent if she'll take a couple of my extra Greens to upgrade them.

Now if it is only this placid at YEG when I arrive, this might indeed become a very stressless Christmas!
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, WJ Gold, Alaska Gold, AA EXP, DL Silver
Well, if the weather in YEG is any indication, it should be quiet! I'm sitting having my morning coffee and it's mostly clear with -17. Happy travels and Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:05 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Perfect time to fly in. Going to get to -6 tomorrow! Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:25 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (Lifetime Gold)
SH - enjoy your Christmas break. Hopefully we'll see each other again at some lounge around the world (or at a FT Do.). All the best. Moz.
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by Mozzarella View Post
SH - enjoy your Christmas break. Hopefully we'll see each other again at some lounge around the world (or at a FT Do.). All the best. Moz.
Thanks, same to you, and know that MG has confided all is almost forgiven about the last lounge meeting! Next time I will only be Elite so she will trump me for the upgrade...
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
Well, if the weather in YEG is any indication, it should be quiet! I'm sitting having my morning coffee and it's mostly clear with -17. Happy travels and Merry Christmas!
Not quite dressed for that temperature, though my heavy duffle coat is currently in one of my checked bags cushioning a couple of bottles of wine for dinners tonight and tomorrow!
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by morphius909 View Post
Perfect time to fly in. Going to get to -6 tomorrow! Enjoy your trip!
Not quite a Calgary chinook, but it will certainly do! Have a fine Christmas with your families and friends.
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, UA ,WJ, HA
I will also keep my eye open for any Canadian Forces personnel who might be at the gate and check with the gate agent if she'll take a couple of my extra Greens to upgrade them.
Very Nice, SH. You are the goods.
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:39 am

Flew the 1610 yeg-yyz flight yesterday and was expecting craziness too but it was dead at yeg - no lineups of cars, no one at any checkin line (exec, regular, bag dropoff) and there was literally no one at security and all lanes open. Looks like we both were able to miss the typical Christmas rush!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays fellow-FTers!
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:40 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
You are the epitome of a class act SH. Merry Xmas and hope to see you again at a YOW do sometime with MG.
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post

I know I missed the real crowds by a few hours, one of the advantages of annoying early morning flights. At the moment there are only five people in J, though I expect if the back is overbooked they will move some folks up. I will also keep my eye open for any Canadian Forces personnel who might be at the gate and check with the gate agent if she'll take a couple of my extra Greens to upgrade them.

Now if it is only this placid at YEG when I arrive, this might indeed become a very stressless Christmas!
I dropped off my daughter at 615 am and there were maybe fifteen cars outside. She was through the kiosk bag drop and security in 25 minutes even four hours earlier when you'd think it to be hectic.
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:58 am

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Global guy View Post
You are the epitome of a class act SH.
+1

Merry Christmas to all.

Nice to see a quiet YYZ.

Arrived last night from PHX. No line-up at the Immigration. Even the express moving sidewalk was working! It was a thrilling end to the status travel for the year.
Old Dec 24, 10, 11:02 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
I dropped off my daughter at 615 am and there were maybe fifteen cars outside. She was through the kiosk bag drop and security in 25 minutes even four hours earlier when you'd think it to be hectic.
Hope she has access to MLL for all those "spare time".
Old Dec 24, 10, 11:11 am

Programs: AC*E
If anyone has time to spare, please feel free to look for my baggage. It is either in YYZT1 or ZRH (or in-between), Christmas presents and all From the sounds of it, it will make it to me, just not today, alas.

Glad to have made it from London regardless so I am not complaining.

Safe travels everyone.
Old Dec 24, 10, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC E
I often fly on Christmas, and it's predictably a breeze. Wasn't sure what to expect this year, though, flying Christmas Eve. Turns out it's pretty similar. Got to SJC this morning expecting it to be reasonably busy, but there were 0 lines at check-in or at security. My SJC-LAX flight was 98% full, though. Hoping my next flights will be full enough that they'll move me up to E+.

Search this Thread