Its Official! Elite package did not arrive

Old Mar 2, 01, 9:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: toronto
Posts: 844
Its Official! Elite package did not arrive

Well, I have been patiently waiting for my elite package to arrive before my travel begins tomarrow(March3). But as of this morning, nothing has arrived.
So no upgrade certs or membership card.
And I have received no response from Aeroplan when I faxed them my concerns about using upgrades without the new membership package. A called to aeroplan produced no better result. I think I am ready to throw in the towel.
Commie is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 9:57 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 20,554
Commie, check out thread "Three days left for Elite Kit to arrive. It may help solve your problem.
airbus320 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 10:01 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kingston, Ont, the limestone city
Posts: 974
I think AC really need to learn a lesson. Why don't you serve them a notice for small claim court suit? Ask them to refund the difference between the price of your fare and lowest available fare (ie. V - L). You should also add the value of four MLL passes (roundtrip for before departure and connecton) at $25 each for a total of $100. Don't forget the time you need to wait in regular check-in line without this Elite card? Maybe at a rate of $75 /hr (eg, standard for mechanics and consultants). You can then sue them for a few hundreds dollars. You may or may not win but at least that you will take up some of their executive or lawyer's time. AC's loss in their wages or fees is much higher. They really need to learn a lesson.

If there are enough people in the same situation... Why not launch a class action suit?

It's time that AC learn to operate their frequent flyer program seriously.
MoreMiles is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 10:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,678
Maybe we should give AC a break. They had to combine old Canadian Plus accounts into Aeroplan before they could start issuing the Elite packages this year. And there are a lot more packages than before. It's not a simple matter to assemble them and get them mailed out.

Just because you don't have a package doesn't mean that you aren't recognized as an Elite. I've been getting Elite benefits since mid January when the computer systems were updated. You should have no problem getting into the lounge or using the priority check-in without the card. Just explain that you haven't received the package yet. The only problem I can see is upgrade certificates; perhaps, if you ask nicely, you will find a sympathetic gate agent.

My Elite package hadn't arrived yet when I was home last weekend. I won't be home again for another week. I'm not concerned.
StuMcIlwain is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 10:32 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: OGG, YYC
Programs: AA, AC
Posts: 3,616
Originally posted by MoreMiles:
I think AC really need to learn a lesson. Why don't you serve them a notice for small claim court suit? Ask them to refund the difference between the price of your fare and lowest available fare (ie. V - L). You should also add the value of four MLL passes (roundtrip for before departure and connecton) at $25 each for a total of $100. Don't forget the time you need to wait in regular check-in line without this Elite card? Maybe at a rate of $75 /hr (eg, standard for mechanics and consultants). You can then sue them for a few hundreds dollars. You may or may not win but at least that you will take up some of their executive or lawyer's time. AC's loss in their wages or fees is much higher. They really need to learn a lesson.

If there are enough people in the same situation... Why not launch a class action suit?

It's time that AC learn to operate their frequent flyer program seriously.
Commie, I agree this situation really sucks. I will be really disappointed with AC if they don't offer to accommodate you somehow.

However, MoreMiles, I think you're exaggerating the situation just a bit. A class action suit? You're joking, right? We've already been through this. You do not need your Elite card to use the exec check-in or the MLL. I don't think I can remember ever having to show anyone my Elite card.
Even if you have to pay for J class once, what's the big deal. You can use your coupons on other flights; you have a whole year.
After Burner is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 10:35 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,452
I would call AC and get them to fax a letter stating your tier that you can use until the card arrives.

As for upgrade stickers - I dunnow. Maybe borrow some from one of us until yours arrive?
Fly Boy is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 10:55 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kingston, Ont, the limestone city
Posts: 974
Originally posted by After Burner:
[BHowever, MoreMiles, I think you're exaggerating the situation just a bit. A class action suit? You're joking, right? We've already been through this. You do not need your Elite card to use the exec check-in or the MLL. I don't think I can remember ever having to show anyone my Elite card.
Even if you have to pay for J class once, what's the big deal. You can use your coupons on other flights; you have a whole year.[/B]
Yes, things will work smoothly since Air Canada has records of our status on their computer system.

However, there are people travelling outside of Canada. Try to get into an airport lounge in Thailand or Singapore using your boarding pass... good luck. Also, try to convince those check-in agents to give you bulkhead or premium seats without showing any kind of Elite card!

You see what is happening here? Air Canada failed to deliver a product... and what do consumers do? We expect to solve this problem as it is our fault. We waste time calling reservation desk to have comments added. We waste more efforts trying to convince lounge agent to let us in. We beg for upgrade at the check-in counters... Just let me ask you, how much time extra did you spend as a result of this missing kit? It's only a couple of days so far and I'm not surprised if you already spent at least one hour talking on phone, looking for solution, sending faxes, or writing e-mails.

All these are directly due to Air Canada's inconsiderate customer service.

No, I am not kidding about the suit. If there are people interested in joining this up. Send me an email. I will organize this with my lawyer once enough people get interested.

[email protected]
MoreMiles is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 11:07 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,678
Originally posted by MoreMiles:
Just let me ask you, how much time extra did you spend as a result of this missing kit?
None.

But, as you say, I would be concerned if I were planning an international trip in the next few weeks.
StuMcIlwain is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 12:30 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: YXU, ON Canada
Programs: AC*E50K; AC*MM; EK Gold; SPG Plat
Posts: 4,607
As StuMc says, it hasn't been a big deal not to have your Elite Card as long as you're in the system -- and *Alliance partners seem to have that info also. I can't speak for international airports, but other than the potential upgrade problem, this may be no more than a temporary inconvenience. There are more things about AC to worry about (like their heavyhandeness with flight coupons and U/G certificates) than a couple of extra days waiting at the mailbox.
Mind you, if mine hasn't arrived for my LHR flight on the 23rd I'll be really upset
Academic is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 4:15 pm
  #10  
formerly ssw207
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, SQ*S, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Posts: 656
To my great surprise, my kit arrived today here in NYC.

It was so funny, I was on the phone w/ an Elite agent complaining about the kit, and they said it was mailed out in early Feb.... all of the sudden there was a knock on the door, and the mailroom courier handed me the kit.

I apologized to the agent and she was laughing really hard.

The kit was mailed by regular Letter-Post by Canada Post, originated from AC office in Montreal.
ffs852 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 10:20 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: YVR
Posts: 9,999
While my SE kit did arrive on time, I can assure you that travelling outside of Canada and/or on other carriers, without my SE card, was a hassle. I had to explain the situation everytime I checked in or entered a lounge, and made priority boarding essentially impossible. Also, Star Alliance carriers (UA at lesat) do not have access to your AC profile and or status.)
Ken hAAmer is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 10:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: YYZ/YHM/BUF
Programs: AA Gold, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Gold Amb.
Posts: 4,151
Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
Also, Star Alliance carriers (UA at lesat) do not have access to your AC profile and or status.)
That's interesting because as a UA Premier Executive (* Gold), my AC boarding passes reflect that status. I guess the various Star Alliance carriers aren't consistent with accessing one's FF status.
FlyerAl is offline  
Old Mar 2, 01, 11:16 pm
  #13  
Company Representative - Air Canada
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Canada
Posts: 24,215
My flight from HKG-YVR was handled by UA, boarding pass shows AC*G on the top, I was given a lounge invitation upon checkin as well.
Andrew Yiu is offline  
Old Mar 3, 01, 8:37 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: YXU, ON Canada
Programs: AC*E50K; AC*MM; EK Gold; SPG Plat
Posts: 4,607
My experience was the same as Empress. The UA boarding pass showed my AC*E status. Curiously, the outbound BPs from YXU didn't. Go figure
Academic is offline  
Old Mar 3, 01, 8:37 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: YXU, ON Canada
Programs: AC*E50K; AC*MM; EK Gold; SPG Plat
Posts: 4,607
My experience was the same as Empress'. The UA boarding pass showed my AC*E status. Curiously, the outbound BPs from YXU didn't. Go figure
Academic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread