Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket change conundrum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Ticket change conundrum

Hi guys,

I'd like to appeal to the combined wisdom here.

I have a round-trip ticket purchased on Expedia, it's an AC ticket for YQB-SIN RT. My goal is to keep my departure date but change the return, I am willing to pay penalties and fare difference as required.

Expedia has told me they have to cancel my entire ticket, and she can't find availablity in my departure slot so I might lose it.

1- Is that true?
2- Should I just buy a different one-way ticket back?
3- What if I miss my return on purpose once in Singapore and call to get rescheduled for 3 days after?
4- Anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Keops
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
I would probably book a return then cancel the return you have after the departure date.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
My understanding is that if you need to change the outbound flight, then you are starting over from scratch - you are then not guaranteed that your original fare basis will still be available. So you might wind up paying much more for your ticket.

In this situation, I might advise you to fly the outbound. Then, after travel has started, contact AC and ask about changing the date on the return. You would need to pay the penalty fee, but you should be able to then book your return for any flight that has your fare basis available. (Once travel has started, it is usually better to contact the airline directly instead of the agency.)

The one risk with this is that if your fare basis is sold out on the date that you wish to return, you may have to pay a higher fare for the trip back.

If this sounds risky for you, do some shopping now to see what fares are available to purchase as a brand new ticket. If you find something that you like, on the days that you like, then you can have Expedia cancel your original, pay the penalty fee, and buy the new ticket that works for you.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:37 pm

For international travel, one way is about 75% of the round trip fare.

What Expedia said is not true, you could technically change your flight pay the fare difference and change fee on the affected flights/segments. The rest shall remain the same.

If you have an AC booking reference (which is in a very small print on their trip summary), call AC directly and deal with AC instead.

If they are unwilling to do it, cancel it and buy elsewhere
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

I am flying out with a colleague and he's coming back on the planned date, I need to fly back later which is why I wanted to keep the outbound date.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
For international travel, one way is about 75% of the round trip fare.

What Expedia said is not true, you could technically change your flight pay the fare difference and change fee on the affected flights/segments. The rest shall remain the same.

If they are unwilling to do it, cancel it and buy elsewhere
It's a Q-class on AC and a leg on SIA M-class. I paid 1259$C round-trip per ticket, one-way back looks to be 1200$ on ITA.

I'm leaning towards no change and call once there, also I might try a different Expedia agent.

Keops
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:41 pm

Q is Tango Plus, so you can change it (fare difference + change fee).....

find the record locator for your AC flight and deal with AC directly. Several people have feedbacked that Expedia is hard to deal with.

its a 6 digit alpha-numeric reference number
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Q is Tango Plus, so you can change it..... find the record locator for your AC flight and deal with AC directly. Several people have feedbacked that Expedia is hard to deal with.
AC-Elite line said she can't touch it because there's a SIA leg that she has no visibility on. She did say that Expedia should be able to only change the return without cancelling the whole ticket. Guess I'll call back.

Keops
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Keops
AC-Elite line said she can't touch it because there's a SIA leg that she has no visibility on. She did say that Expedia should be able to only change the return without cancelling the whole ticket. Guess I'll call back.

Keops
my suggestion is to say the exact flight number and date of travel. kindly demand that you want that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.