refund policy during IRROPs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
refund policy during IRROPs

Here´s a question for the experts:

According to the AC website one can cancel tickets and get a refund if one is affected by the weather situation in Europe.

I´m scheduled to fly AC to FRA the day after tomorrow, and it looks as if this is unlikely to happen, and I´m thinking about cancelling my trip alltogether.

What is AC´s refund policy if the outbound flight has already been taken?

Would I get a pro-rated refund (about 50% of a return ticket) or does AC recalculate the fare of a one-way (full-fare Y) ticket, which would make this completely pointless
Thank´s!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Here´s a question for the experts:

According to the AC website one can cancel tickets and get a refund if one is affected by the weather situation in Europe.

I´m scheduled to fly AC to FRA the day after tomorrow, and it looks as if this is unlikely to happen, and I´m thinking about cancelling my trip alltogether.

What is AC´s refund policy if the outbound flight has already been taken?

Would I get a pro-rated refund (about 50% of a return ticket) or does AC recalculate the fare of a one-way (full-fare Y) ticket, which would make this completely pointless
Thank´s!
If your flight is actually impacted or they do a blanket change exception that involves your days of travel you should be able to get back the remaining value of your ticket (i.e. whatever that one way fare basis was). Although tickets need to be bought round trip to get reasonable fares, each direction could have a different fare basis and fees, so it will not necessarily be half, but you will get money back.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:58 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
If your flight is actually impacted or they do a blanket change exception that involves your days of travel you should be able to get back the remaining value of your ticket (i.e. whatever that one way fare basis was). Although tickets need to be bought round trip to get reasonable fares, each direction could have a different fare basis and fees, so it will not necessarily be half, but you will get money back.
Exactly. While a "round trip" may cost you, say, $250 in fare, that does not mean each half was $125. You could have got an outbound at $50 and an inbound at $200. Conditions require that you purchase a round-trip to take advantage of these fares, but that does not mean they were the same.

Make sense?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Thank´s, so you´re suggesting they would do a recalculation of the fare for a one-way ticket? A one-way ticket NA-Europe usually is more expensive than a round-trip ticket, so the refund wouldn´t make much sense.

I know that a recalculation is the procedure under normal circumstances (which is why many just "forget" about the return flight), but I always thought airlines would give a pro-rated refund during IRROPs.

(BTW, the outbound and inbound flight were almost exactly the same price)
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thank´s, so you´re suggesting they would do a recalculation of the fare for a one-way ticket? A one-way ticket NA-Europe usually is more expensive than a round-trip ticket, so the refund wouldn´t make much sense.

I know that a recalculation is the procedure under normal circumstances (which is why many just "forget" about the return flight), but I always thought airlines would give a pro-rated refund during IRROPs.

(BTW, the outbound and inbound flight were almost exactly the same price)
No, you will get the return component of the ROUNDTRIP fare refunded, IF your flight is canceled or there is a blanket IRROPS declaration for your departure/arrival airport on your flight day. All we were trying to tell you is it may not be 50/50 depending upon which fares were ticketed to make the roundtrip.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
No, you will get the return component of the ROUNDTRIP fare refunded, IF your flight is canceled or there is a blanket IRROPS declaration for your departure/arrival airport on your flight day. All we were trying to tell you is it may not be 50/50 depending upon which fares were ticketed to make the roundtrip.
Thank´s, that´s what I was hoping for. Getting the return component back of the originally booked roundtrip would work fine. (and would work out to be about 50% in my case)

i was just wondering whether the refund would be recalculated based on the cost of a one-way full-fare Y ticket, which would defeat the purpose of the refund.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME it is like when you select your flights online, you click a price for outbound, a price for inbound, which may or may not be similar at all. Then tax and fees are added. So when you get the refund it should be the second amount 'clicked' plus the taxes and fees for that portion.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:37 am

Jasper - you will get back what you have paid for.

Example 1. Your outbound was $200 and inbound was $300, then you get back $300+applicable taxes.

Example 2. Your outbound was $400 and inbound was $100, then you get back $100+applicable taxes.

Example 3. If you paid $600 (all inclusive) for the entire ticket and cancelled it prior to travel due to IROPS, then you get the $600 back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.