Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weather forces cancellation of several Air Canada London flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather forces cancellation of several Air Canada London flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
i wonder if Eurostar is gonna have its fair share of problems again. Last year the snow outside melted inside the tunnel then flash freezed when exiting hence giving the trains a lot of problems
No, they solved that that technical issue, so should not be a problem again. The major impact of snow though is to force the high-speed trains (Eurostar, Thalys, etc., services) to have to operate at lower speeds because of snow/icing on tracks. That's the case with Eurostar today, adding about 1-hour extra to the trip between London & Brussels.

Many LHR-bound pax ended-up in BRU last night, as inbound to UK flights were diverted here. Thousands spent the night in the international transit zone (those without proper immigration papers to enter Belgium) being cared-for by the Red Cross. Many will be stuck here another night, as ops from BRU are irregular today as now we are having snowstorms. http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...101219_airport

That being said, we managed to beat the snow this morning with one family member make it OK YUL-BRU on AC 832 and a family friend go outbound on the turn-around AC 833! The airport was a zoo though.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
I was supposed to fly from LHR to Prince George today via YVR. I am now booked out of CDG on the 23rd as they coudln't get me out of London before Christmas.

They did say AC might be sending some extra planes over though, and I am on a queue for that. Really hoping AC comes through with that.

Best of luck to al stranded.

Zen
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by RocketmanBRU
No, they solved that that technical issue, so should not be a problem again. The major impact of snow though is to force the high-speed trains (Eurostar, Thalys, etc., services) to have to operate at lower speeds because of snow/icing on tracks. That's the case with Eurostar today, adding about 1-hour extra to the trip between London & Brussels.

Many LHR-bound pax ended-up in BRU last night, as inbound to UK flights were diverted here. Thousands spent the night in the international transit zone (those without proper immigration papers to enter Belgium) being cared-for by the Red Cross. Many will be stuck here another night, as ops from BRU are irregular today as now we are having snowstorms. http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...101219_airport

That being said, we managed to beat the snow this morning with one family member make it OK YUL-BRU on AC 832 and a family friend go outbound on the turn-around AC 833! The airport was a zoo though.
glad to know they fixed it..... in canada we'd prob be waiting for the next round of fundings
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not good news....

MONTREAL, Dec. 19, 2010 - Air Canada advises that due to continuing severe winter storm conditions in England and elsewhere in Europe there will be delays and cancellations of London and Paris flights, as well as an impact on connecting flights within Europe, for at least another 48 hours.

"Air Canada deeply regrets the inconvenience caused by the cancellation of our Heathrow flights by circumstances outside of our control. Unfortunately, we do not anticipate resuming normal services at Heathrow for at least 48 hours. Furthermore, due to the tremendous backlog caused by the closure of Heathrow over the past two days, our ability to provide seats to customers of already cancelled flights will be severely limited by already full flights during the Christmas holiday peak and the scarcity of available slots at Heathrow airport. We are watching the situation closely and preparing to resume operations once conditions permit in order to get customers to their destinations safely," said Duncan Dee, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer.

Due to weather restrictions at London Heathrow, Air Canada cancelled all of its departures from London to Canada for the morning of Sunday, December 19, and as a result a number of flights yet to be determined from Canada to London for the evening of Sunday, December 19 have also been cancelled because aircraft availability. The severe winter weather is also affecting other European stations, notably Paris, where airport conditions are imposing lengthy delays or cancellations on carriers. Due to heavy holiday passenger loads and slot constraints at Heathrow, Air Canada has limited ability to immediately protect passengers whose flights are affected. Air Canada asks passengers to postpone non-essential travel and is waiving change and cancellation fees for those who wish to reschedule on affected routes.

Customers with flights to or from affected areas are advised to check on the status of their flight prior to leaving for the airport by consulting the Air Canada website at aircanada.com, or by calling Air Canada's automated flight information system at 1-888-422-7533, or by using a web-enhanced cell phone.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AC Elite, AA Advantage, BA
Heathrow Redux

Same thing happened last year at Christmas. Flew from GVA to LHR a day late (flights were totally cancelled the day I was to have flown). Got to LHR and found the YVR flight had been cancelled. Had to stay at a hotel (courtesy of BA). Got out the following day but I know that some people didn't get out for days.

What I heard was that a) LHR had literally no de-icing machines and b) staff could not get into work. Personally I think that YVR handles snow much better (at least we don't freak and shut the airport with 2 cm of snow).

that's my two cents.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cinycat
Same thing happened last year at Christmas. Flew from GVA to LHR a day late (flights were totally cancelled the day I was to have flown). Got to LHR and found the YVR flight had been cancelled. Had to stay at a hotel (courtesy of BA). Got out the following day but I know that some people didn't get out for days.

What I heard was that a) LHR had literally no de-icing machines and b) staff could not get into work. Personally I think that YVR handles snow much better (at least we don't freak and shut the airport with 2 cm of snow).

that's my two cents.
Must be the global warming.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Unhappy Unfortunately, no end in sight...

If anyone is shceduled to go through LHR, and if at all possible, avoid all of the EU and the US/Canada West Coast and try to route eastwards via Asia.

The West Coast is gonna get a pounding and BAA has also revised it's advisory, matching the AC advisory, warning of more Cancels/Delays tomorrow as well:

Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
glad to know they fixed it..... in canada we'd prob be waiting for the next round of fundings
True enough. Our high speed trains don't work well in cold weather either.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
I'm hearing there will be no landings at LHR today (Sunday), and few departures. If AC didn't already have equipment on the ground I'd say its time to head to King's Cross and take the eurostar to CDG. If you can't get a seat out of CDG, GVA is another 3 hours and they just put the newer Lyria TGV trains on the route. Everything's fine here so far.

Good luck all. I've had my share of these closings the past few weeks. Luckily was nestled in at home this time around.

Unfortunately Eurostar has just stopped taking bookings for travel up to and including the 24th.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Possibly the worst airline experience ever

Yesterday was in Maple Leaf Lounge when flight was cancelled from YYZ-LHR. AC said if you were in transit they would arrange a hotel and provide food vouchers, if you were starting your journey in YYZ, advice was to go home. I asked how could I go home given i was on a work trip? Was told that YYZ was considered my home for the purposes and collect my bag. Went and collected luggage but thought i would go to complain. Met a highly arrogant and obnoxious team leader who said "we cannot provide for everyone". To be fair to him at least he provided me with the distressed passenger hotel booking number.

This morning i scoped out possible re-routing and was willing to go anywhere in the UK or Ireland. Went to AC desk and while in queue they shouted they could do nothing for people booked on LHR but i stayed in queue and asked about rerouting was told it was impossible bt i could be booked to LHR for a flight on the 27th, and be on standby in the meantime.

went around every desk and US airways were fantastic. Got a flight yyz-phi-dub.

I've flown 4 times from UK-Canada in past 6 months, all on AC, but for my next 4 flights in the next 6 months i'll go on any other airline
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by jdbelfast
Yesterday was in Maple Leaf Lounge when flight was cancelled from YYZ-LHR. AC said if you were in transit they would arrange a hotel and provide food vouchers, if you were starting your journey in YYZ, advice was to go home. I asked how could I go home given i was on a work trip? Was told that YYZ was considered my home for the purposes and collect my bag. Went and collected luggage but thought i would go to complain. Met a highly arrogant and obnoxious team leader who said "we cannot provide for everyone". To be fair to him at least he provided me with the distressed passenger hotel booking number.

This morning i scoped out possible re-routing and was willing to go anywhere in the UK or Ireland. Went to AC desk and while in queue they shouted they could do nothing for people booked on LHR but i stayed in queue and asked about rerouting was told it was impossible bt i could be booked to LHR for a flight on the 27th, and be on standby in the meantime.

I've flown 4 times from UK-Canada in past 6 months, all on AC, but for my next 4 flights in the next 6 months i'll go on any other airline

One AC flight to LHR did end up in DUB yesterday.

FWIW, west of the UK, there are 8 airplanes in the air that departed LHR.
All BA or VS.
About 1/hr. They have been departing one every 15-30 mins recently.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jdbelfast

If I were you, I'd wait until US actually gets you somewhere before making such statements. Just because their reservations computer is able to book a flight does not mean it will happen given the colossal number of aircraft and crew, not to mention passengers, who are still in very much the wrong places. It's clearly an awful situation, but as the old saying goes, s**t happens.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
Must be the global warming.
Precisely. No joke.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arf04
True enough. Our high speed trains don't work well in cold weather either.
Not sure what "our" means here.

But I took two German ICE trains last week. Both arrived about an hour late.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by fin 645
If I were you, I'd wait until US actually gets you somewhere before making such statements. Just because their reservations computer is able to book a flight does not mean it will happen given the colossal number of aircraft and crew, not to mention passengers, who are still in very much the wrong places. It's clearly an awful situation, but as the old saying goes, s**t happens.
I know- it is not the delays that are causing me the anger- it's the attitude of AC staff and their policies that are annoying me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.