Air Canada VIP Service

Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Do any of us know how close we are to our lifetime?
Some idea, yes. Not that far from 2MM, maybe two years at most. Can't see getting anywhere near 3MM however.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
should pop over 2MM in first half of 2018 and can't see 3MM (without a lot of advances in medicine) but one never knows. My mom was always trying to get me to sign up with Aeroplan back in the 1980s but I said I don't fly enough to bother. Glad I finally listened!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
Talking

Originally Posted by vernonc
You do not 'get it'. It is conferred by AC to senior politicians, CEOs and decision makers with a high spend with AC. At least that's my understanding.
I don't know about it being conferred to 'Senior Politicians', I've flown with PM Mulroney a few times, he doesn't have VIP, and he's 78... I think thats pretty Senior.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Who is cheapening the cabin now moahahahaha
Well, considering there are VIPMM, I guess not ALL are cheapening lol
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by NAJetSet
I don't know about it being conferred to 'Senior Politicians', I've flown with PM Mulroney a few times, he doesn't have VIP, and he's 78... I think thats pretty Senior.
Senior Liberal politicians

Lets be accurate.

I have flown with Harper a couple times since he left office. I believe he gets VIP treatment but I think that was due to security arrangements not that he is AC VIP. He certainly didnt have a luggage tag.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Do any of us know how close we are to our lifetime?
Originally Posted by Stranger
Some idea, yes. Not that far from 2MM, maybe two years at most. Can't see getting anywhere near 3MM however.
I thought our SE4Life was being sarcastic about life vs status. Anyone with over 500k miles can check where they are at within Altitude.

Originally Posted by ridefar
Senior Liberal politicians

Lets be accurate.

I have flown with Harper a couple times since he left office. I believe he gets VIP treatment but I think that was due to security arrangements not that he is AC VIP. He certainly didnt have a luggage tag.
Im going to assume that Harper along with the likes of Obama/Blair and any other precious heads of state, should they ever fly commercial with AC, would get preferential treatment even without a tag.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
I thought our SE4Life was being sarcastic about life vs status. Anyone with over 500k miles can check where they are at within Altitude.

Im going to assume that Harper along with the likes of Obama/Blair and any other precious heads of state, should they ever fly commercial with AC, would get preferential treatment even without a tag.
I do not think that Obama would be commercial, probably gets a charter plane of some sort.
I did attend a Clinton speech once at a company sponsored event. The company flew him on a private jet in addition to his fees. There was also a ton of secret service and other security folks incl RCMP/Peel police etc.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by vernonc
I do not think that Obama would be commercial, probably gets a charter plane of some sort.
I did attend a Clinton speech once at a company sponsored event. The company flew him on a private jet in addition to his fees. There was also a ton of secret service and other security folks incl RCMP/Peel police etc.
Yeah could be, I know other *previous* (was an honest typo) heads do though, Tony Blair for example I believe. I imagine it's good PR for them.

Also been on a domestic flight with Kate Winslet before and she was clearly being afforded special privileges, last in first off etc.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I tend to approach anyone (the pax) when it's clear they are AC VIP, just to have a friendly chat (6 so far). One VIP had a Tumi or Rowena (I forget now) hardshell carryon, with fabric pockets, and an AC roundel embroidered on it. I forget if it actually said VIP under it, but given he was willing to use it in travel, probably not. I did joke at one point that it was fancy, to which he quipped he couldn't find his regular bag so he quickly used this. I guess actual VIPs don't really want to advertise for their service providers or be confused for working for the taxi company?

What I remember distinctly, was the 2 hour conversation with the guy... one that started me in torn jeans and $2 white teeshirt asking "Do you work for Air Canada? You certainly are receiving a lot of attention..." as 2 concierges looked on... and later a business card handed to me end of flight while offloading...

I can confirm the VIPs I've chatted with do command some AC spend, but all 6 themselves do not fly enough (*A commercial flights) to be AC elite, possibly not even 25k (never really grilled them on this). I got the sense that "next flight out" is more important than "next flight that credits to some program". I imagine the other reason for VIP to exist is to provide some isolation between famous pax and plebes... Wouldn't want IRROPs owing to a herd harassing one pax for autographs and such. Boarding this pax last after the herd has boarded would minimize the disruption.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I get a lot of them on my flights. So far all I see are politicians.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: TK *G
To my understanding AC VIP is similar to UA GS. Some people may not fly enough on AC commercially, but their companies spend a lot on AC. They are more considered as stakeholders than customers.
vernonc likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
I get a lot of them on my flights. So far all I see are politicians.
Politicians are VIP on AC? Firstly, I don't recognize Canadian politicians, and secondly I didn't think they were actually "VIP", but rather just treated well by agents who recognize them. Isn't that just bribery? (I guess Canada ranks pretty low in fighting this, but still?)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Politicians are VIP on AC? Firstly, I don't recognize Canadian politicians, and secondly I didn't think they were actually "VIP", but rather just treated well by agents who recognize them. Isn't that just bribery? (I guess Canada ranks pretty low in fighting this, but still?)
I didn't think they were 'official' VIPs either, just that they tend to get special service based on their position.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by songsc
To my understanding AC VIP is similar to UA GS. Some people may not fly enough on AC commercially, but their companies spend a lot on AC. They are more considered as stakeholders than customers.
Everything I've been told about VIP says it's nothing like GS.

Go buy a few last minute full J YYZ-SYD tickets.

You'll end up SE.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I have seen politicians ( Olivia Chow, Jack Layton) and former Prime Minisiters ( Kim Campbell) in the back with no special attention at all.
I have been a seatmate to a sitting Ontario premier ( Mike Harris), no special treatment.

The only VIP I have flown with was Michael Sabia ( ex-BCE, current head of Caisse de Depot),
He got the concierge treatment on and off the plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.