Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada VIP Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
My understanding has always been that VIP status is something conferred upon those who have significant influence over major travel spend (meaning seven digits), regardless of whether they fly that much themselves ... along with celebrities and others who require a certain level of privacy when flying commercial.

But what do I know ... I always thought an upgrade was when AC lets you ride in the passenger cabin as opposed to the baggage hold.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
This is all anecdotal, but the large-ish company I work for at one time had 2 VIP's, the CEO and whichever direct report was most favoured (was the CFO for a while, then a group President). The CEO rarely ever traveled, so he met that criteria as well.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Is this lifetime status or year by year?
No idea and I likely won't see him in the office to inquire until the pandemic is over!
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Is this lifetime status or year by year?
My understanding is that it is not lifetime - it is at AC's discretion whether you continue to qualify but some probably have it de facto for life.

For example YVR4Ever 's CEO will likely continue to receive VIP status as long as he/she remains CEO and his company continues to favour AC. When the CEO exits the role, they will likely lose the VIP status but AC may decide to confer it on the replacement CEO. William Shatner probably has it for life because the risk of bad publicity from taking it away far outweighs the cost to AC of giving it to him.

Like any corporate gift, people appreciate it when first given to them but over time the perceived value declines until you take the gift away - at which point the person suddenly remembers how valuable they originally thought the gift was and how evil the company is for taking it away. That's likely why there are very few VIP's in the system..
tomvancouver likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
It's not a tier - it is discretionary, and yes, often given to valued commercial partners or people who control very significant spend. I am sure some federal cabinet ministers have accepted it (but others avoid it like the plague). It does not have anything to do with actual miles flown.

I think there is also a distinction between having VIP status as part of the program and special treatment that is given to certain people flying - more in the high visibility category and those people will have people make the necessary arrangements for their trip (and don't need to flash a card).
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by The Lev
For example YVR4Ever 's CEO will likely continue to receive VIP status as long as he/she remains CEO and his company continues to favour AC. When the CEO exits the role, they will likely lose the VIP status but AC may decide to confer it on the replacement CEO.
This is my understanding. It is sort of like Sith Lords. There are always 2, so when one departs, another takes their place, possibly based on our total spend or something. We are an "Air Canada preferred" company, so no doubt it is all part of some deal I'll never see.

I am curious if the CEO retained his status when he left, and ended up as chair of the board at a smaller, but also prominent company (and likewise for the group president that ended up as CEO of a smaller, not as prominent company).
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I do know at least 1 former Prime Minister of Canada who is not a VIP.
I do know several current Premier's of large provinces who are not VIPs.
I do know one former CEO of BCE, former CEO of Caisse de Depot, and current Deputy Minister of Finance who is a VIP.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:29 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I know of at least one Canadian Senator who is a VIP. And interestingly always sits in the same highly visible seat on the flights I've seen him on.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I do know at least 1 former Prime Minister of Canada who is not a VIP.
Kim Campbell and Joe Clark don't really count, do they?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I do know one former CEO of BCE, former CEO of Caisse de Depot, and current Deputy Minister of Finance who is a VIP.
I'd love to know who that is... If only it weren't so cryptic!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I think the real question is if Curtis Armstrong fly's AC does he have a VIP?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I think the real question is if Curtis Armstrong fly's AC does he have a VIP?
...the guy who played "Booger" in Revenge Of The Nerds? /s
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Just to add on to that, my understanding is that there are low hundreds of AC VIPs.

Examples include William Shatner.
Saw him in the FRA MLL one time and he was on our flight.
He definitely got some sort of VIP treatment from the concierge staff. Well, I'm assuming that's what he got. Or maybe he's VIP but just got special snowflake service that some SEs demand.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Friend sent me this today. That elusive tier...

Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Friend sent me this today. That elusive tier...

Now that one ticks all the boxes - SE, MM+, Credit Card and VIP. Kudos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.