Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program - Modifications to Benefits

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program - Modifications to Benefits

Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Count me as very happy. SSWU's have always been the biggest carrot of getting E, so having them (or equivalent) restored is huge.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
When I first joined this forum almost four years ago I was less than complimentary about AC, primarily because of the lingering poor attitude of the front line employees and the general lack of customer care embedded in the AC culture. I made the point that attitude and culture come down from the top, and change must also come down from the top.

When AC was well into the XM program I sent an email to Monty (I've forgotten his last name already) suggesting that the hardware was only half the job, he also needed to XM the employees and their attitude towards customer care. I got the expected canned answer from someone in his office.

Then Calin came along. In the last couple of years we have seen a BIG improvement in attitude, service and customer care, and it has indeed come down from the top. What we have witnessed here is just that. The top people were enaged, listened and acted immediately. What a difference! ^ In my view this is what builds customer loyalty.

The changes Andrew outlined above will have little direct benefit to me, since >90% of my AC travel is within Canada. However, I am impressed not only at the fact that AC listened and made changes, but at the speed of the changes. Well done to AC. ^^

Now, a couple of questions:

1. Pardon my ignorance, but who is Ben Smith?

2. Is there any way to buy an M fare on the web site, or do I have to call in?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Who is Ben Smith?
Ben Smith: http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/media/bio/smithb.html
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
[QUOTE=Andrew Yiu;15444318]Thanks to everyone for the comments that have been posted here the last few days, and especially those who took the time to post some very valuable, constructive feedback. While it's not our intent to address every issue raised on this forum on the changes to the 2011 Top Tier program, some very valid points were raised which we agree should

------------

I am still disappointed that you did nothing about the 20 K threshold bonus. If it is raised to 15 for everyone at least for 2011, it could enable one return trip to an overseas destination < 5K for E members.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Click on "Show upgradable fares".

After March 1st, it goes through a whole ringamarole about which T+ fare you want...

Blue Square = Sufficient R space
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
This goes a long way towards making things better; thank you.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:44 pm

Being new to this forum (In my outrage, I googled 'frequent flyer forum' after getting Air Canada's message about eUpgrades for 2011), I was overwhelmed by the avalanche of messages. I do appreciate Andrew's calm participation inside this lion's den. However, at the risk of raining on the parade of gratitude, I am absolutely convinced the "concession" was part of Air Canada's strategy. Considering the unequivocal devaluation of the program (it still is -- even if AC has every right to do what it wishes), they were smart enough to anticipate the reaction. It's a little like a guy at the flea market who asks for some ridiculous amount for his stylish vase, then is haggled down to a value that is merely overpriced. You buy it and feel great. That's what happened here...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:45 pm

Well, I don't think this thread will have as much traction as the old one, but thanks again AY for posting your information.

One question that was not answered on the old thread...

If someone wants to downgrade at the airport, can this still be done?

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
1) award additional upgrade credits for buying intl Latitude / Exec. First fares, e.g.

3 upgrade credits for each intl Latitude segment
4 upgrade credits for each intl Exec. First segment

2) higher COS bonuses for Latitude / Exec. Class/First fares, e.g.
125% for Latitude fares
150% for Exec. Class / Exec. First lowest
200% for Exec. First Flexible
Well, the additional comments should likely be moved to the suggestion thread. Mods, feel free to move this comment! IMHO these suggestions are pretty redundant. If there is a COS introduced for Lat, and you increase the COS for Exec, it will lead to a faster accumulation of threshold bonuses, so there would not be a need to award additional certs for Lat purchases, etc. Also, when you consider that it only costs 1-2 credits to upgrade from lat in NA, you would effectively be giving all elites upgrades without requiring the use of a credit.

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Now, a couple of questions:

2. Is there any way to buy an M fare on the web site, or do I have to call in?
M fares can be purchsed on the web. If you select the "show upgradeable fares" button for travel after March 1, and select a T+ fare, you will be given the option to buy up to an M fare.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Thank you for your honesty.

If I may be so presumptuous as to offer you some advice, you are dealing with a fairly savvy group of people here. They quickly see through "devaluations" that are packaged as "enhancements". Unfortunately this leads some to launch into unwarranted personal attacks. You might be better off to be up-front about the downside to major program changes while also highlighting improved benefits that some will enjoy.

Cheers!
I'll second this. I also appreciated that you came on here and defended AC's decisions and rationalized them. I think what was being packaged as enhancements was really a significant change in how the program works. I am sure that you would have still been met with a firestorm, but it might have neveretheless helped the argument that you were working within economic constraints (or whatever you want to call them) if you had called these changes a program overhaul/realignment. For me, the main issue was that I no longer saw the incentive for me to buy more expensive fares so that I could upgrade that was there in years previous.

Though much criticism ensued, I hope that once the dust settles you will realize that if people show this much in the way of strong feelings for what AC does that it is a sign of their passion for the company. If you keep harnessing that passion I expect that things will continue to go well for AC.

One end result for me is that I know way more about other airline FF programs than I did before. Not sure I needed that knowledge!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:50 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu

The credits required for Tango Plus (M class) on an international flight will be modified as follows:

• For flights that are < 5000 miles: 8 credits (instead of 10)
• For flights that are 5001 miles or longer: 12 credits (instead of 15)

The credits required for Tango Plus (U,H,Q,V,W,S,K,L,T class) on international flights will be modified as follows:

• For flights that are < 5000 miles: 14 credits (no change)
• For flights that are 5001 miles or longer: 17 credits (instead of 20)
Thanks for the update. So for those of us Elites that actually took the max 35 credits, that gives us a return long haul flight Asia Tango Plus--cheaper fares (34 credits)

So, I would need to get to the 40,000 status tier to get another 20 credits (10 at 20,000 tier and 10 at 40,000 tier) = 20 credits + my 1 credit =21 credits. Not enough for the required 24 credits for a long haul Asia Tango Plus (M class) fare.

Better but still does not make a major difference for E on long haul to Asia.
You did listen but no incentive. Disappointed and will only use one cheaper tango fare as even hitting the 40,000 tier that 20 credits does not help at all.

Thanks but no thanks. Clearly whoever does the calculations is short changing members who in the end can only buy a LAT fare. Not right.

Last edited by travelblond; Dec 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm Reason: added LH Asia flight
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
The credits required for Tango Plus (U,H,Q,V,W,S,K,L,T class) on international flights will be modified as follows:

For flights that are < 5000 miles: 14 credits (no change)
For flights that are 5001 miles or longer: 17 credits (instead of 20)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I knew AC would come through! :-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-:
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by YEG USER
M fares can be purchsed on the web. If you select the "show upgradeable fares" button for travel after March 1, and select a T+ fare, you will be given the option to buy up to an M fare.
Thanks. An extra $750 each way YVR -> YYZ in March. I guess I sit in the back or burn 57% of my credits.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by tedstriker2010
Being new to this forum (In my outrage, I googled 'frequent flyer forum' after getting Air Canada's message about eUpgrades for 2011), I was overwhelmed by the avalanche of messages. I do appreciate Andrew's calm participation inside this lion's den. However, at the risk of raining on the parade of gratitude, I am absolutely convinced the "concession" was part of Air Canada's strategy. Considering the unequivocal devaluation of the program (it still is -- even if AC has every right to do what it wishes), they were smart enough to anticipate the reaction. It's a little like a guy at the flea market who asks for some ridiculous amount for his stylish vase, then is haggled down to a value that is merely overpriced. You buy it and feel great. That's what happened here...
ted striker.... i like that name.... "striker, striker, strike her!"
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by maradori
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I knew AC would come through! :-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-:
Arent you a little overly enthusiastic?

Dont get me wrong: I appreciate the modifications and greatly appreciate the fact that AC actually listened to their top tier customers.

But the new program nevertheless is a devaluation for intl travellers.

The ability to upgrade one intl roundtrip comes with the elimination of tier bonus, any other upgrades, reduced threshold bonuses and lower bonuses for flight pass purchases. Its a bit like taking away 50% of the benefits and now giving you back 10% and everyone is screaming "Hurra".

Dont get me wrong, I think AC is heading in the right direction with these modifications and I greatly appreciate ongoing Andrews participation on FT, but I dont see too many reasons to be enthusiastic about the new program, anyhow I may give AC the benefit of the doubt for the time being and book a few flights with AC for next year.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Arent you a little overly enthusiastic?

Dont get me wrong: I appreciate the modifications and greatly appreciate the fact that AC actually listened to their top tier customers.

But the new program nevertheless is a devaluation for intl travellers.

The ability to upgrade one intl roundtrip comes with the elimination of tier bonus, any other upgrades, reduced threshold bonuses and lower bonuses for flight pass purchases. Its a bit like taking away 50% of the benefits and now giving you back 10% and everyone is screaming "Hurra".

Dont get me wrong, I think AC is heading in the right direction with these modifications and I greatly appreciate ongoing Andrews participation on FT, but I dont see too many reasons to be enthusiastic about the new program, anyhow I may give AC the benefit of the doubt for the time being and book a few flights with AC for next year.
I agree. Checked long haul Asia M fares and they are double the price of cheaper tango + fares.

Good start AP and AC but you have to do better than this small change...

Last edited by travelblond; Dec 14, 2010 at 1:33 am Reason: grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.