Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program - Modifications to Benefits

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program - Modifications to Benefits

Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by morphius909
Not sure if there are apologies to be forwarded. Save for the few (and definitely crossed the line examples), the thread was full of frustrated FFers and their views and their feelings.

Andrew was someone who showed a lot of pose throughout the 1800 posts and was always recognized as doing so and thank you'd.
AY did show poise. He generally does. We, the 150 hardcore FFers who frequent these boards have had the benefit of his advice for close to 10 years. I'm not sure there are many other places like this one that have such an open dialogue with an airline rep. We are privileged.

I disagree that "thank yous" were that plentiful or even that sincere. The accusatory tone and pejorative choice of words used by several posters, whether justifiably frustrated or not, was IMO unwarranted.

Last edited by NordsFan; Dec 14, 2010 at 12:01 am
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Letting AC know is one thing..... manipulating their response, challenging their position and disrespecting for other FTers was the main problem to the point we had 3 warnings and some suspended
I saw lots of heated debates but not much craziness, maybe it was erased before I saw it. One thing I never got though and that's different from other boards that talk about community. I was surprised that the people the new program worked for didn't support in a bunch of cases the people it didn't work for. I got that it worked for them but in normal community board most folks would say hey it works for me but I see clearly how it doesn't work for you and AC needs to fix that. I just felt they argued and belittled our feelings which just got me frustrated. Even now we're chastised for pursuing our customers rights. Strange.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:48 pm

Thank you to Andrew, Ben and AC management for hearing and responding to our concerns!

Rebooking all T+ into M class - I give that a 10/10

Reduction in some international mileage requirements - I give that a 6/10. I accept that the comparison to the old system can't be 1:1, but I would have liked it if I could keep the tier bonus and have enough for 1 RT SSWU (in this case now 34 credits)

Revenue system - I look forward to seeing the details; IMHO AC's highest revenue passengers should receive as much recognition as is possible. But let the activities of the past few days serve as a warning; DON'T REWARD YOUR HIGHEST REVENUE CUSTOMERS AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR OTHER STATUS PASSENGERS WHO CUMULATIVELY CONTRIBUTE $$$ TO YOUR BOTTOM LINE.

Thanks again for listening to us.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Much appreciated Andrew, I'm grateful that I can do a round trip to Europe on upgrades. I like the transferability too, I'm planning to send my parents to Europe on their first trip in J, and this makes it much easier.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: aerplan elite
Thanks Andrew and AC for listening us, thanks to all the members who posted 24/7 on the thread and made it happen. Long live flyer talk forum.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
This is very good news.

Looks like there were some pennies left in the sofa to be found.

Thank you Andrew, for I'm sure you've been very involved in getting all this through.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG USER

Revenue system - I look forward to seeing the details; IMHO AC's highest revenue passengers should receive as much recognition as is possible. But let the activities of the past few days serve as a warning; DON'T REWARD YOUR HIGHEST REVENUE CUSTOMERS AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR OTHER STATUS PASSENGERS WHO CUMULATIVELY CONTRIBUTE $$$ TO YOUR BOTTOM LINE.

Thanks again for listening to us.
+1

I personally dont favour a FFP solely based on revenue, while it provides rewards to high spending customers it doesnt offers many incentives to regular FFs and well likely face the same dilemma weve seen in the last couple of days.

I think AC should carefully explore ways to award and offer an incentive to those spending a lot of money / buying higher fares, three opportunities I see are:

1) award additional upgrade credits for buying intl Latitude / Exec. First fares, e.g.

3 upgrade credits for each intl Latitude segment
4 upgrade credits for each intl Exec. First segment

2) higher COS bonuses for Latitude / Exec. Class/First fares, e.g.
125% for Latitude fares
150% for Exec. Class / Exec. First lowest
200% for Exec. First Flexible

3) create a tier above SE based on revenue, but dont devaluate the E/SE program in return. Benefits could include IKK without capacity controls, for instance.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Dec 13, 2010 at 11:14 pm
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Having said that, our Marketing and Revenue Management teams sat down today and reviewed all the constructive feedback we've received. Following that, we have decided to make the following adjustments to the 2011 eUpgrade Program...

Furthermore, keep in mind that this is the first year that we've introduced the eUpgrade program; well closely monitor the performance of the program after its implementation on March 1st although there will not be any additional structural changes to the program for 2011.
Thanks for addressing some of the most egregious items. Hopefully in 2012 you can re-visit the gutting of the pass purchase SSWU benefit for SE's.

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
...understand that the business environment that we're in require us to make some tough business decisions. We will always do our best to give you the most generous benefits that our business can afford.
Thank you for your honesty.

If I may be so presumptuous as to offer you some advice, you are dealing with a fairly savvy group of people here. They quickly see through "devaluations" that are packaged as "enhancements". Unfortunately this leads some to launch into unwarranted personal attacks. You might be better off to be up-front about the downside to major program changes while also highlighting improved benefits that some will enjoy.

Cheers!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Thanks to AC and Andrew for listening. ^
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
I'm very impressed by the speed with which AC reacted to the collective sentiment here. For me, these adjustments actually improve the benefits over 2010.
^
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by sam33
I'm very impressed by the speed with which AC reacted to the collective sentiment here. ^
I agree, it's more about "do you hear me" than "what can I get out of it". (not to say that we're totally altruistic) I think most of the posters here are very loyal to AC and are looking for ways to stay loyal ...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Um...

So I made my selection a few days ago based on the old "2011 benefits". Given that 35 eCredits wasn't enough to upgrade a return YYZ-HKG trip, I had opted instead of 10 eCredits (which would have given me 35) for the 4 lounge passes that at least allowed me to gift them to friends.

Now that the # of credits required has changed, I would definitely would have opted for the 10 eCredits instead of the lounge passes. Anyone find themselves in a similar boat? Is there anything that could be done so we can go back to change our selection as a result of the modifications to the Top Tier program?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC E50
Thanks Andrew

This is a stunning turnaround and I'm personally very impressed how quickly the new consideration to change elements key to the membership were addressed.

Bravo, and happy to be E for another year

Chaptwo
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC 50K E, A3 Gold, CX Gold
awesome, thank you Andrew for bringing our voices up to management.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by The Lev
Be very careful what you wish for.

If/when it happens, we'll get the same sort of reaction from this forum when people realize just how high the revenue thresholds will be.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.