BEH 1900D

Old Feb 20, 01, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

BEH 1900D

Does anyone know why seat 4B always seems to be blocked out on the Air Alliance (Air Georgian operated) BEH1900D? I have noticed flights into GRR have it booked, so I checked other cities (YGK etc.) and they also have this booked, even well into the fall. Thinking back to the last few times I've been on board, its usually empty. Is this for an extra crew member or something?

Also, does anyone know how underbooked these flights have to be for AC to cancel them. I have the only assigned seat on four flights (besides 4B) in the next couple of weeks and I am wondering if they cancel a flight with only 2-4 PAX? I usually fly down here in the afternoon and back up at night, so the flight is full - this time I'm in the morning. Any ideas?
Old Feb 20, 01, 3:16 pm

I fly these regularly...

Row 4 is an exit row at the wings so they are blocked until day of check-in. The seat pitch in that row is not larger and there is a big bump on floor covering some wires to make that seat undesireable anyway.

These aircrafts take only 15 minutes to refuel and get ready for the next flight. The region route is set up to fly between two cities almost continously. So a flight will not be cancelled because they need the aircraft returned. I was once the only passenger. Imagine that... my private jet with two pilots working for me

They will cancel a flight in this kind of region routes if the delay is too much (ie, by 1 or 2 hours) and it gets to the time of second flight. Then they will combine two flights into one, assuming space permits. Cancellation is done both way, both out and in-bound. Remember, no aircraft out means none coming back either.

I think Air Alliance has the older model of 1900, the C series. The newer ones (D series I think) has larger cabins and allow stand upright inside. The orginal one is really like a flying pipe where you have to bend to get in.
Old Feb 20, 01, 3:16 pm

If the flight is quite empty, the seating assignments are often ignored. People either sit wherever they want, or are moved around by the co-pilot to distribute the weight better.

4B is at an emergency exit. I think Air Canada only assigns these seats at check-in.

In my experience, the Beechcraft flights are only cancelled due to operational or weather related problems. I have been the only passenger on a YGK-YYZ flight. But this might be different now that Air Canada is trying to cut costs.
Old Feb 20, 01, 3:38 pm

Of course don't even think of trying to use the "washroom" on board

Old Feb 20, 01, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information everyone

Stu, now that you mention it, I do remember the gate agent reassigning seats on a full flight to all the PAX. She put all the males at the front of the plane and all the females at the back, so that the heavier weight at the front could counteract against the cargo/bags in the hold!
Old Feb 20, 01, 4:08 pm

I hate to say this... but do you know small aircrafts with passenger load less than 20 (I think) do NOT require the same strict criteria for maintainence and regular inspection? That is why Beech (now Raytheon) and other companies (eg, Saab) purposely build planes taking only 19 passengers. They are considered in the same group as private planes (eg, Cesna) I am sure that they are as safe as larger ones... but they are more tricky to fly. You need to distribute weight better. The accident rate also seems to be higher than other slight larger planes such as Dash-8.

-----
References:
http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/v...aircraft=B1900
http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/v...ircraft=Dash+8

Old Feb 21, 01, 8:40 am

Hello there from the hangar floor.

Of course I hate to dissagree with our good friends Mr. Miles, but the BB1900C/D is not maintained in the same standard as Dr. Smith's C172. Air Alliance has their own hangar in the north end of YYZ and must be maintain all their aircraft according to commertial standards and the aircraft must be released by licensed mechanics just like the big boys.

The only difference is that these regional airlines do not tend to have $$ as the large airlines for the large stock of part. So typically if they have to change a major part that is not normally changed, then they would have to wait a day or so for it to be shipped in. Us big boys would probably have the stock within 4hr and still have that airplane fly.

I have worked with both the small airlines and now Air Canada and can tell you that the majority of the mechanics take our jobs very seriously and the public should fly the Canadian airlines with confidence. Our system works, even with the regionals.
Old Feb 26, 01, 7:23 pm

Originally posted by ACAvionicsguy:
...the public should fly the Canadian airlines with confidence.
Actually - as far as I know, Canadian Airlines had one of the best safety records on earth.

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old Feb 26, 01, 11:47 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Flyboy... AC is not that far behind CP. The last CP incident I remember is that CP 17 flight to Taipei which had its landing gear stuck in mud in YVR after abort takeoff but no one was hurt.
Old Feb 27, 01, 8:58 am

Flyboy I think that ACAvionicsguy was referring to the Canadian Airline industry rather than to CP.

Air Canada earlier this year was given an award as the safest airline in the world!
Old Feb 27, 01, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I believe Fly Boy was joking -- hence the smiley. Either way, both AC and CP have excellent safety records.

FewMiles..
Old Feb 27, 01, 10:09 am

Originally posted by Empress:
Flyboy... AC is not that far behind CP. The last CP incident I remember is that CP 17 flight to Taipei which had its landing gear stuck in mud in YVR after abort takeoff but no one was hurt.
Yeah - I know AC is excellent for safety. I was joking, but IRL it is an accurate reference to the actual safety RECORD. AC has had a few fatal incidents in the past, whereas I believe this is not the case with CP/its previous composite carriers. Either way, IMO Canada's air safety is top notch whichever way you cut it.

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited 02-27-2001).]
Old Feb 27, 01, 11:12 am

Fly boy is right (ohoh, sorry everyone!!!). The airline industry in Canada (which is what I was trying to say before ) has been very fortunate in that the loss of lives is very infrequent when it comes to commercial carriers.

I believe this to be in part thanx to DOT's regulations that keep a 1/2 decent leash on carriers, and in part to the working mechanic on the floor. Without these people and their integrity and insistance that everything be done by the book, more accidents would be inevitable in the industry. Oh yah, and the pilots too I suppose.
Old Feb 27, 01, 12:30 pm

*BIG HUG* Avionics boy! It would be kewl if sometime we could arrange an FT hangar tour with you!

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited 02-27-2001).]

Search this Thread