Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Tally of actual lost AC revenue due to 2011 AE program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tally of actual lost AC revenue due to 2011 AE program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Booked a litte while ago to try out Porter for the first time in two weeks, YOW-YYT, 4 passengers at $300 each one way and will likely look at WS or PD for the return as well.

On the whole next year, I'll probably travel more in Tango rather than purchasing T+ or flight passes. Without being committed to requalifying, I'll take some of my business elsewhere, buy cheaper fares and overall probably just travel less.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
In catching up on some threads today in the AC Forum, I read of two people who have booked through another carrier. AC made it too difficult for them.
I booked a WS flight for someone today.

Yes that is only three, but I am sure their are some I didn't read about in other threads, some here who haven't bothered to post they booked elsewhere instead and then all the others who don't use FT but have given business to other carriers.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite

On the whole next year, I'll probably travel more in Tango rather than purchasing T+ or flight passes. Without being committed to requalifying, I'll take some of my business elsewhere, buy cheaper fares and overall probably just travel less.
Exactly the same for me. No fares higher than Tango domestically and no efforts to requalify for E.

For shame, as 2009 and 10 were tons of fun.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
In catching up on some threads today in the AC Forum, I read of two people who have booked through another carrier. AC made it too difficult for them.
I booked a WS flight for someone today.

Yes that is only three, but I am sure their are some I didn't read about in other threads, some here who haven't bothered to post they booked elsewhere instead and then all the others who don't use FT but have given business to other carriers.
I'm sure there are lots! I booked us to LAS on WS partly due to less incentive to requalify on AC (WS is a non-stop for us, but we are staying on extra night to get the non-stop in so it isn't as simple a decision as going with the most direct route).

I'm on UA to SFO next week as well, and there I probably would have tried to go AC simply because I used to just look to AC first: now I look around.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Actual: Just booked YOW-LIM on LAN, last year used AC @ $1200 average. Actually, saved $200. (Could have been more savings but bought LE fares so could upgrade using LAN eUps coupon one way and upgrade using Kms (points) return.)

Planned: Six more YOW-LIM this year, will go LAN / Oneworld, not AC. One AC, but only to burn existing Ecerts and a discount code for previous AC boo boos.

Will achieve Comodoro status mid-year with the associated great benefits. Thanks AC for opening my eyes to the world of other possibilities!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
AC is indeed the best North American airline, and they have always been good to me. I thank them for that and they will be the carrier of my choice in the future as well, but not EXCLUSIVELY.

As much as it is their absolute right to make changes to the Aeroplan program and charge the fares/fees that they do, it is the pax's right to choose the most suitable carrier irregardless of loyalty. More often than not, I wonder if loyalty still exists in real life. If it does, it must surely have been redefined.

AC does not apparently compete only on price but they still have to. And that's the beauty of competition. Let's say on TATL routes that I would be taking most, besides travel in NA. The competition, even within Star Alliance, has changed as well. Swiss operates a brand new A330-300 between YUL and ZRH (apparently superb) and the schedule for cnx in ZRH is great. LH now operates their flights between YUL and MUC on a year-round basis, either on fairly new A330-300s or A340-300s, always with a very clean and appealing cabin and slightly better food in Y.

And that very moveable Z (reduced) business class earns 200% points in M&M program. At 35,000 one can become FTL and get additional 25% bonus, all status within SA on most member airlines. AC gives only 125%.

It all depends on the individual travel patterns.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by getaround
Lets make it real, lets have a share file of booked tickets outside of AC; of course with a big black pen. lets really show and prove how much AC will loose.
I sent Calin a copy for the ticket file.

16 tickets for a hockey team going yyz-yvr, now on West Jet ^
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
My list is actually quite extensive already...and all international.

Here is this weeks:

YVR-SIN in J (one way)

$4100 on SQ

$5655 on AC

So tell me, which do you choose? SQ's all J A340-500 with SQ seating and service....or AC via HKG? Laughable.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
5 round trips YYZ-YUL in 2011 - T+ priced to approx $500 RT each time

Instead I booked 5 VIA 1 round trips for $300 and some change, each. Although both catered by CARA, VIA 1 food is hands down better than AC domestic J (and way, way better than Rapidair, obviously).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
YYZ - IAD on UA then IAD-CPH-ATH on SAS. 3 pax in paid J and about $3500 less overall than flying AC. I would never have seriously considered this before, and even if I did, AC Lifetime Status would have tipped things towards AC.

The enhancements are working for me so far. ^
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
Quit acting like it's your own money and fess up that you work for a large corporation.
Enlighten me in my post where I suggested it was my own money?

I am always the first to admit I don't buy my own airfare as almost 100% of my travel is work related. Just ask Shareholder.

I thought you would have read more carefully.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by Dorian
My list is actually quite extensive already...and all international.

Here is this weeks:

YVR-SIN in J (one way)

$4100 on SQ

$5655 on AC

So tell me, which do you choose? SQ's all J A340-500 with SQ seating and service....or AC via HKG? Laughable.
Even if you still collected on Aeroplan, wouldn't you pick SQ anyways. SQ is *A and the miles can be credited to AP.

Clearly SQ has the better J product and service irregardless of your frequent flyer loyalty.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by kevy_boy
Even if you still collected on Aeroplan, wouldn't you pick SQ anyways. SQ is *A and the miles can be credited to AP.

Clearly SQ has the better J product and service irregardless of your frequent flyer loyalty.
If fares were more in alignment it would be a 50/50 chance as I hate LAX.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by Dorian
If fares were more in alignment it would be a 50/50 chance as I hate LAX.
So decision is driven more by fare than 2011 AP programme?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:59 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
$2,600 in revenue lost

Booked myself YVR-ORD-IST on United / Turkish Airlines, instead of YVR-YYZ-FRA-IST on Air Canada to FRA / Lufthansa and and gave up on the aerolotto with e-upgrades.

Cost $2,600 for two tickets (or portion) of revenue loss. . .

Loss of Fuel Surcharges too.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Feb 22, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.