Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Reward ticket got routed through China, now i need Visa?

Question: Reward ticket got routed through China, now i need Visa?

Old Dec 10, 10, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Reward ticket got routed through China, now i need Visa?

So I wanted to go from LAX to BKK

Aeroplan gave me F on CA going LAX-PEK, then biz PEK-CAN, then on from there on TG....

The problem is I just realized that going PEK-CAN will be a domestic flight. And I don't have a VISA and don't want to go through the trouble of paying $200 or so per person to make the connection, plus we leave in 2 weeks

1.) am I right that I need a visa, I believe a visa-free transit only applies to same aircraft or first connection that leaves the country... It will be my second connection that leaves the country.. I'm assuming we'll get denied boarding in LAX if I don't rectify this.

2.) how should i approach aeroplan so that they don't ding me for a change fee as I know I can make my PEK layover longer and take a TG flight direct...

Thanks

Last edited by RufussCkingston; Dec 10, 10 at 7:34 am
Old Dec 10, 10, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you need a visa if you're transiting on to CAN and then beyond.

Call aeroplan and let them know that the involuntary reroute is not acceptable (assuming your booking was changed on you). They are actually pretty decent at that stuff and will accomodate if there is reward space.
Old Dec 10, 10, 9:23 am

Programs: A Few
If you chose these flights when making the booking (which I think you might have...it sounds like an Aeroplan online search/booking engine routing) you will need to hope for open award space on an alternate routing and pay the change fee or you will need to get a visa.

As mentioned above, if the domestic China flight is the result of a schedule change Aeroplan will try and take care of you at no cost.

Search this Thread