Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Benner
Are people on FT selecting their awards or are people waiting, hoping that changes will be made? I figure once the rewards are chosen the 2011 program is "real".
Yes- selected.

The choices at SE were no-brainers....
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:44 pm

Going to wait, hoping for some change.

Currently got a flight in Jan that's already booked, going to use the last of my paper upgrades.

For next year, might be worth just getting the bare minimum to get E status then switch over to the cheapest carrier. No flight passes either for me for 2011, keep it flexible. Westjet must be loving the new changes
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by Benner
Are people on FT selecting their awards or are people waiting, hoping that changes will be made? I figure once the rewards are chosen the 2011 program is "real".
I chose mine while this thread still had just a few posts in it. Even though I wasn't impressed, I didn't think there was a possibility that there would be changes so I didn't think there would be a drawback to choosing and I just went ahead and chose. Hopefully I don't end up regretting that!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
well i agree this new system will increase the quality of upgrading to the front cabin.... only thing i notice is there isnt sufficient credits to do an international long haul round trip for starters.... then it rewards another SSWU (20 credits when passing the 20K threshold).....
Accoding the AC website, as an E you only get 10 credits at the 20K threshold. As an SE you get 15.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:56 pm

You know over the last 4 or 5 years flying ac was an obsession to hit E. It feels kind of free now. I do lots of transatlantic travel and I've been checking out BA which looks pretty good. Their biz class is cheaper than our Lats!! And u can us points to upgrade, which is awesome as you can buy a tix and upgrade it with points not certs or these useless ecerts.
But mainly now I can just take the best time and dollar fair that works for me and not to get ac points. For 35 credits it's not worth all that hassle.

Does anyone know if you can transfer aeroplan miles and points to a new service?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by YukonYXY
I chose mine while this thread still had just a few posts in it. Even though I wasn't impressed, I didn't think there was a possibility that there would be changes so I didn't think there would be a drawback to choosing and I just went ahead and chose. Hopefully I don't end up regretting that!
If any changes are to be made, they will hopefully revoke everybody's selections and and re-offer them.

Have your upgrade creds posted to your upgrade account yet?

Last edited by zoobtoob; Dec 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC*E50, DL*SM, JMB
I haven't selected mine yet. Had to think & evaluate each selection. I made my selection on paper only, but will do it online this weekend hoping just for better.

I agree that the 2011 program is far from better compared with the actual program. We can just hope that soon or at the beginning of the new year, AC/AE will make some changes. Would be bad fo them if the AP members change for a different FFP which also means a drop down in revenue for AC.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
I see there is a last gasp for the good upgrades:

"Note that those Top Tier members qualifying in December & January will receive extra 2010 Top Tier upgrade certificates for use for travel through February 28, 2011"

I'm in the UK for Christmas, does anyone know if these have to be mailed out or if I can just ask AC on the phone to use them on my return leg in Jan?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
+1 I ate and drank too much up front anyway
Forced weight loss program.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by soconn
I see there is a last gasp for the good upgrades:

"Note that those Top Tier members qualifying in December & January will receive extra 2010 Top Tier upgrade certificates for use for travel through February 28, 2011"

I'm in the UK for Christmas, does anyone know if these have to be mailed out or if I can just ask AC on the phone to use them on my return leg in Jan?
It would be nice if they would allow us to "gift" these certificates since we can "gift" with the new eUpgrade credits.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Rockarolla
Does anyone know if you can transfer aeroplan miles and points to a new service?
Can't be done. The only way is through points.com if you're willing to accept a crappy exchange rate.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by illico
wow, this thread has been quiet for a whole 22 minutes.
all are busy trying to navigate 'airline status match' sticky...
feels kinda like looking at an online dating service whilst the SO is in the next room!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Arrow

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
If any changes are to be made, they will hopefully revoke everybody's selections and and re-offer them.

Have your upgrade creds posted to your upgrade account yet?
I hope you're right re: what will happen if changes are made.

I just checked and the eups have posted. Although it looks like I have an extra 8 for some reason. I thought I would only have 25, as I chose the Tier Bonus and I'm only E. But it says I have 33 total:

Earned Used Available Expiration date(travel on an
upgraded flight must be
completed before the
expiration date)

15 Air Canada Top-Tier 2011 0 15 29-Feb, 2012 (446 days left)
10 Air Canada Top-Tier 2011 0 10 29-Feb, 2012
8 Air Canada Top-Tier 2011 0 8 29-Feb, 2012

33Total eUpgrade Credits available

Don't know where this extra 8 is coming from. Not that I'm complaining.

I did notice that when I tried to do a flight search for June, and ticked 'only u/g fares' it asked me for my status, and when I put in E, it defaulted to the normal SWU / NAU fares and just showed the highest T + and lats, and didn't show T + anymore. Guess it doesn't really matter but it seemed weird, I figured it would leave them all in and put something below each column that said how many credits it would cost to u/g that particular fare or something?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I guess everyone is either retired or either working from home, to have so much time on their hands to post.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
[QUOTE=acysb87;15422431]Nice try,you are on the wrong roll right now.You won 4 in a row,going down to a 4th in a row.QUOTE]

I have the feeling our winless streak will end tonight!

For many here, their winless streak will continue through 2011!

Heading to CUN in the morning so don't care too much!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.