Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Here is your example

Thank´s!

That´s good news! So apparantly the number of credits required is based on the distance between origin and destination regardless of BIS miles (which is higher due to connections).
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
  • Versus the 2010 upgrade certificate program, there are no major changes to eligible booking classes / booking windows. While the Tango Plus booking class “U” is no longer grouped with booking class “M” (as on our 2010 Top Tier upgrade certificates), this is due to the fact that we are not selling booking class “U” on a regular basis.
This concerns me quite a bit; I use a Southwestern T+ flight pass which books into U class. Unless the flight passes will change to book into M, this is a significant devaluation of benefits for me. The flight pass costs me a little more than individual tickets, but it's worth it to be able to upgrade with an NAU. If suddenly it's going to cost me 3 times as many upgrade credits, forget it, I'll just wait for seat sales (and much of the time, United is cheapest).
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:54 am

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
Maybe it's just the blisfully ignorant optimistic side of me but before crying gloom and doom, why not just chill and wait to see what points we'll get? I mean based on the credit chart I also have reservations about adequate points but this system is just being rolled out and who knows, maybe they'll toss in 5-10 more as an intro thing.

Bottom line, why get riled up about something we don't know and give AC the benefit of the doubt that they'll get this right on the first try?!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:56 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If I book a T+ fare, upgrade at the upgrade window, decide to cancel the upgrade a day before the flight, I´d most likely be forced to pay the fare difference (which is likely to be $$$$ as only Lat fare are usually sold a few days before departure)?
Looks like I'll be doing Y YVR->YYZ a lot more than I used to. I honestly don't care about upgrading within North America, it's TATL and TPAC that I want to be up front for. I also suspect this will make upgrades harder to get, even with SE.

BTW, does anyone know whether the 7 and 4 day windows will still apply?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
But is it based on AE's calculation of miles or the actual distance (from say, gcmap.com). I'm not sure if it would come up but I'm sure there's a city pair with a distance close to 5,000miles that it could make a difference on.
Doesn't seem to match up with the AE calculations. For example, SFO–YVR earns 800 miles, but the eUpgrade site shows it as 811.

Other ones I know the AE counts for offhand are YVR–YYZ (2078 AE, 2093 eUpgrade) and YYC–SFO (1018 AE, 1027 eUpgrade).

How about some consistency??

Last edited by klparrot; Dec 9, 2010 at 1:04 am Reason: added more examples
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by hjohnson

Yes, they do, but no one knows how they will work for nominees.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hjohnson
Yes, the 2/4/7 days upgrade window is still in place for P/E/SEs when upgrading a T+ fare.

The only change is that non-status members booked on a Latitude fare can upgrade at the 7 day window which doesn´t make too much sense to me. Maybe this means that nominees on a Lat fares cannot be confirmed into C at time of booking?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by klparrot
This concerns me quite a bit; I use a Southwestern T+ flight pass which books into U class. Unless the flight passes will change to book into M, this is a significant devaluation of benefits for me. The flight pass costs me a little more than individual tickets, but it's worth it to be able to upgrade with an NAU. If suddenly it's going to cost me 3 times as many upgrade credits, forget it, I'll just wait for seat sales (and much of the time, United is cheapest).
My serious concern too. I'm in exactly the same boat.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:29 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
As mentioned in earlier communications, eUpgrade Credits can be used for travel starting March 1, 2011. Note that those Top Tier members qualifying in December & January will receive extra 2010 Top Tier upgrade certificates for use for travel through February 28, 2011. Note that these will not and cannot be converted into eUpgrade Credits – they are simply a goodwill gesture for members who would like to upgrade prior to the launch of eUpgrades.
Hi Andrew - quick question, I'm in need of a flight pass and I was wondering if I wait until January to purchase it will I get whatever the benefit from the 2011 program is or will I get the two SSWUs that I selected with my 2010 package? Basically, when does the flight pass purchase benefit flip to next year's (presuming there is one)?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:08 am
alc

Originally Posted by klparrot
Doesn't seem to match up with the AE calculations. For example, SFO–YVR earns 800 miles, but the eUpgrade site shows it as 811.

Other ones I know the AE counts for offhand are YVR–YYZ (2078 AE, 2093 eUpgrade) and YYC–SFO (1018 AE, 1027 eUpgrade).

How about some consistency??
May be in 2011, we will get the same miles as eUpgrade site show?

The only change is that non-status members booked on a Latitude fare can upgrade at the 7 day window which doesn´t make too much sense to me. Maybe this means that nominees on a Lat fares cannot be confirmed into C at time of booking?
I haven't check, but I think if someone with no status purchase a Lat Flight Pass today, they can get upgrade without the cert. So maybe that would be the same for 2011 where they will get some eUpgrade credit that they can use to upgrade? But will be interest to know how will AC IT deal with a unlimited Lat Flight Pass, will that person get unlimited eUpgrade credit?

Last edited by alc; Dec 9, 2010 at 5:02 am
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:22 am
alc

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
The nominee program is interesting, but I take it that now you can only upgrade the people on your list rather than any companion (or stranger) on a flight. No more burn off certs by upgrading a random person to be nice (or changing significant others midyear )!
Just read the following from the web site:

Your eUpgrade Travel Companion
You can use your eUpgrade Credits to request an upgrade for yourself as well as for one Travel Companion who is travelling on the same reservation with you.
So, you can still upgrade 1 companion (or stranger)... which is the same rule as the cert today.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:26 am
alc

I don´t think it will be that bad. P/E/SEs only get to nominate a very limited number of persons:

Ps: 1 upgrade nominee
Es: 2 upgrade nominees
SEs: 4 upgrade nominees
I think the only bad thing will be that you can't change the nominee, you can only deactivated them. So we need to pick the nominee(s) carefully at the begining of the year. Or leave them open when you really really need to use them to upgrade someone not travelling with you.

Once you have completed your list of eUpgrade Nominees, you will not be able to change it. However, you will be able to deactivate a nominee if you no longer wish for them to use your eUpgrade Credits, and reactivate them if you change your mind later. Please note that deactivating an eUpgrade Nominee does not enable you to add an additional nominee.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
so heres how this looks like now:
year 2010 for SE the thresh hold levels were 20k (2 SWU), 40k (2 SSWU), 60k (2 SWU), 75k (2 SSWU), 90k (2 SWU)

depending on how you calculate this it comes out to:
6 SWU + 4 SSWU = 6*15 + 4*20 = 90 + 80 = 170 credits
0r if you assume SWU to have a value of 8 credits instead of 15 this still works out to 6*8 + 4*20 = 48 + 80 = 128 credits

With the new system you get 15*4 = 60 credits (20 less credits than you would have received to replace the SSWU that you would have received as an SE)

How is this an enhancement to the benefits? Less credits to go around..
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: CX Gold,DL Gold, AC E, Fairmont Platinum, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
So for E technically now one can upgrade up to 3 companions (2 of which are nominees) on any given flight, seats and upgrade points permitting... for a total of 4 upgrades.

And for SE, up to 5 companions (4 of which are nominees)?

This will get really interesting....

Last edited by kyvr; Dec 9, 2010 at 3:37 am
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: CX Gold,DL Gold, AC E, Fairmont Platinum, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
The 2011 program is out on AE.com. It doesn't look good so far. Max 35 upgrade credits for E, if you only choose upgrade credits. All together, it's not even worth 2 SSWU's for passengers flying across the atlantic or the pacific.

Last edited by kyvr; Dec 9, 2010 at 4:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.