Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Now here is an interesting example...

Assume M class booking
YYZ - NRT: 15 credit
YYZ - YVR then YVR - NRT: 4 + 10 credit...

So YYZ to NRT is actually 14 credit not 15....
Yes, but I was asking whether it´s possible to upgrade only part of the trip:

Assume YYZ-YVR-NRT T+ fare

YYZ-YVR 10 credits
YVR-NRT 14 credits
YYZ-YVR-NRT 20 credits

I´m sure some folks would be interested in only upgrading the TPAC sector in order to save 6 credits, is this possible?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:00 am

Wishful thinking will disappoint you... I am keeping my expectation low and be prepare to get screwed...
I'm now fully prepared to get screwed. What are the starting credit balances?

Why couldn't they simply keep the North America and International zones they had before instead of this <1,500 mile and <5,000 mile stuff?

I'm guessing as an E, if I'm lucky I'll be able to start the year with enough credits to have the equivalent of 2 SSWU.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I just stepped over a somewhat worrying part:

Cancelling upgrades:
you can cancel the upgrade request by contacting Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent. Note that if your originally purchased Economy booking class is no longer available, you may need to pay the applicable fare difference.

What the heck???

If I book a T+ fare, upgrade at the upgrade window, decide to cancel the upgrade a day before the flight, I´d most likely be forced to pay the fare difference (which is likely to be $$$$ as only Lat fare are usually sold a few days before departure)?
Yea. I don't really get that part as well... The only reason I can think of is if you get upgraded, and you have 'give up' your economy seat. Then you decided to cancel the upgrade, someone has to 'buy back' the seat and therefore make you to pay the delta of current cheapest economy seat price...

Sorry if that doesn't make any senses... brain shutting down...
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:02 am

Yes, but I was asking whether it´s possible to upgrade only part of the trip:

Assume YYZ-YVR-NRT T+ fare

YYZ-YVR 10 credits
YVR-NRT 14 credits
YYZ-YVR-NRT 20 credits

I´m sure some folks would be interested in only upgrading the TPAC sector in order to save 6 credits, is this possible?
Yes, you can upgrade individual segments based on the mileage required for the specific city pair.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I'm assuming that the credits required for a one-way trip (including connections) is based on the great circle distance between the origin and destination and not on the flight options actually available.

The examples given on the website are for YYZ-YUL-FRA vs. YYZ-FRA. What happens if there is no non-stop alternative between the origin and destination cities? If I fly YEG-YYZ/YYC-FRA do I just pay the credits for YEG-FRA, or will I have to pay for YEG-YYZ/YYC and then YYZ/YYC-FRA since there is no non-stop option between the cities?
I surely hope that the credits required are based on the distance between origin and destination and not on BIS miles.

In your example, YEG-FRA is <5000miles (therefore would require 6/10/14 credits), but the sum of YEG-YYZ and YYZ-FRA is >5000miles.

The website seems to support this:

If you request an upgrade for an entire one-way itinerary that contains flight connections, you will be charged the lesser of:

* the number of credits required for an upgrade between your origin and destination
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:05 am

Why couldn't they simply keep the North America and International zones they had before instead of this <1,500 mile and <5,000 mile stuff?
Totally agree... what's this distance crap? It does make things complicated. But perhaps have something to do with cost as well.... Just my guess.

I'm guessing as an E, if I'm lucky I'll be able to start the year with enough credits to have the equivalent of 2 SSWU.
HAHA

I guess just have to wait til tomorrow morning to find out how much credit to start with...
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:07 am

I just stepped over a somewhat worrying part:

Cancelling upgrades:
you can cancel the upgrade request by contacting Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent. Note that if your originally purchased Economy booking class is no longer available, you may need to pay the applicable fare difference.

What the heck???

If I book a T+ fare, upgrade at the upgrade window, decide to cancel the upgrade a day before the flight, I´d most likely be forced to pay the fare difference (which is likely to be $$$$ as only Lat fare are usually sold a few days before departure)?
Seriously??? I decide to cancel an upgrade and might have to pay a fare difference? That is BS.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seriously??? I decide to cancel an upgrade and might have to pay a fare difference? That is BS.
Fully agree with you, but isn´t that what the quote from the AC website is saying?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: AC*SE
If you request an upgrade for an entire one-way itinerary that contains flight connections, you will be charged the lesser of:

* the number of credits required for an upgrade between your origin and destination
But is it based on AE's calculation of miles or the actual distance (from say, gcmap.com). I'm not sure if it would come up but I'm sure there's a city pair with a distance close to 5,000miles that it could make a difference on.

This part is pretty ridiculous.. I understand their logic but it seems like like something imposed by IT than a policy that makes sense.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Some exceptions with airport upgrades/clearing apply at PHL, PDX, SEA, CCC, CYO, AVI, VAV, HOG, SNU & VRA - I wonder why those airports specifically... I thought it'd be linked to non DCS airports but I thought that list of airports was longer.
Looks like that's the list of non DCS airports that have J service. The rest are probably Jazz.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by keithguy
Looks like that's the list of non DCS airports that have J service. The rest are probably Jazz.
Ahh, thank you - that makes perfect sense! Hopefully all stations will get moved to DCS one of these days so there are no exceptions like this.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:24 am

I surely hope that the credits required are based on the distance between origin and destination and not on BIS miles.

In your example, YEG-FRA is <5000miles (therefore would require 6/10/14 credits), but the sum of YEG-YYZ and YYZ-FRA is >5000miles.

the sum of the number of credits required per flight segment.

That's kind of my point. There is no way to fly YEG-FRA without connecting, so the wording "the number of credits required for an upgrade between your origin and destination" could be interpreted as "not applicable." A simple clarification would clear this up.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:29 am

Now here is an interesting example...

Assume M class booking
YYZ - NRT: 15 credit
YYZ - YVR then YVR - NRT: 4 + 10 credit...

So YYZ to NRT is actually 14 credit not 15....
I guess my assumption is wrong...

Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:32 am

Here is your example

Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:39 am

One more thing I have discover...

If you are a P, you can't upgrade for T+ (H, K, L, Q, S, T, U, V, W) even if you have credit, it will show "Not eligible for upgrade"

Just like no SSWU for P in 2010.

Here is the URL to check... https://services.aircanada.com/eupgw...ice/eupgrade/#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.