Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Nothing wrong with your calculation from what I see. That's probably the only route that you'll see something like this (good catch!) where it's cheaper (in terms of credits) to connect in YVR than to fly the nonstop on a M class.
But if I am really flying 2 segments YYZ-YVR-NRT, will I be charge 14 or 15 credit?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:07 am

Nothing wrong with your calculation from what I see. That's probably the only route that you'll see something like this (good catch!) where it's cheaper (in terms of credits) to connect in YVR than to fly the nonstop on a M class.
Well no, the first flight I checked also had that property. LHR-SFO is over 5,000 miles so it would be 15 credits except it's cheaper to do by segment: LHR-YVR-SFO is 12 credits and LHR-YYZ-SFO would be 14 credits.

It's a bit annoying since there are a lot fewer options to connect in YVR than YYZ but for an elite taking the maximum upgrade selections and including the 20k and 40k thresholds (total of 55 credits) it would make the difference between 3 upgrades and 4. (4x14 = 56, one credit short).

Quite a big difference from 6 SWUs + 2 SSWUs last year. Next year we get *less than half* the upgrades we got last year.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Blame me and mrs. First time E in 2011

Talking about more Es who fly AC metal one would think that AC would appreciate an increase.

I´m pretty sure that Es spend much more money per BIS mile flown than non-status members.

For instance, I spent 3x as much per mile flown as an Elite than I did as a non-status member (flying pattern being pretty much identical: TATL roundtrips Europe-West Coast and a few domestic flights). I don´t think the new enhancements will manage to squeeze this amount of incremental revenue out of me.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by airbus320
Go back to the chart. This benefit is still available as a selection.
I can't seem to see it for the first time (refer to the 'pop up' - 2011 SELECT PRIVILEGES).. but now I am in the page picking my privileges and I see it...
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by epost77
Andrew,

I have to say that over the last few years I have been a big supporter of AC. I believed that we were seeing a change in culture. Finally AC was starting to see the value in a positive relationship with it customers. I am VERY disappointed in this new e-upgrade promgram. If it is not changed by March 1st, 2011 to give a fair amount of e-upgrades credits (something at least close to compairable to previous years) then I will no longer be flying AC unless they are the cheapest alternative.

Flying 35000 status miles to get a chance on only 1 long-haul flight is a not worth being loyal to AC. I believe it is not to late to change the # of e-upgrades credits give....

Eric
+1. I'm sorry Andrew, this is fail. I'd gladly return to 2010 and the wallpaper. The initial numbers scuttles it for me - not even enough for me and my Mr for a single TATL upgrade - Something I could have done YYZ-HKG/SYD in previous years.

For the first time in 6 years I'll be looking at other options.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:12 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
But if I am really flying 2 segments YYZ-YVR-NRT, will I be charge 14 or 15 credit?
System is designed to look at the cost of origin + destination as well as the cost of upgrading each individual segments on a connecting itinerary and charge the lesser value.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Positive??

Duplicate Post

Last edited by Plumber; Dec 9, 2010 at 8:15 am Reason: Duplicate

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Versus the 2010 upgrade certificate program, there are no major changes to eligible booking classes / booking windows. While the Tango Plus booking class “U” is no longer grouped with booking class “M” (as on our 2010 Top Tier upgrade certificates), this is due to the fact that we are not selling booking class “U” on a regular basis.
Several T+ passes are currently booked in U. This means that they become much more expensive in terms of credits to upgrade.

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
There's no one set value we used to evaluate SSWU vs SWU; what we did was used the actual upgrade patterns of customers to determine the grid. Using the 90 credits you would earn in threshold as SE, 4 SSWU would have a value of 46 - 80 credits (< 5000 miles - > 5000 miles) and that leaves 10 - 44 credits to use on Latitude fares. Most customers fly a mixture of routes and you'll find those that if one flies only on Tango Plus on International, you'll see that you're actually better off to/from Europe and status quo to/from Asia. The credits better reflects the cost of an upgrade depending on what your destination is.
Dear Andrew,

Given that I fly primarily to Europe this does not actually work as you have laid out.

For arguments sake I am going to go up to 105k to properly account for threshold bonuses

For 2010
At the onset you get 2 SSWU, 4 SWU
At 105k you would have received another 4 SSWU and 8 SWU
The total would have been 6 SSWU and 12 SWU
I could potentially upgrade 3 Tango Plus round trips and 6 round trips at fare class M or higher

For 2011
At the onset you get 60 eupgrade credits
At 100k you would have receiver another 60 + 30 or 90 credits
This translates to 150 credits
I can potentially upgrade 10 segments (5 round trips) for tango plus fares
or 15 segments (7.5 round trips) for fare class M or higher

For arguments sake if I was to look at a mixture of Tango plus and higher fares then it gives me 6 segments (3 Tango Plus round trips) and only 6 segments (3 round trips) at fare class M.

So I am worse off with atleast 6 less upgrade chances. But this also means that AC is worse off by atleast an extra $1500 or so that I would have paid for an M class fare as opposed to a lower fare for those 3 round trips. This becomes even more extreme if you look at the longer trips etc.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Bad move AC

I won't be buying a flight pass again with the change ... now my "U" fare flight pass requires the maximum number of credits to upgrade. Under the old system my green wallpaper was enough -- that made it worthwhile for me. Not again.

Perhaps I should just switch to Aegean Airlines if all AC is offering is essentially *G benefits with a few complicating caveats!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Andrew, I know you're busy, but you still haven't answered my question - why do SEs get only 12 eCredits for Flight Pass purchases? That's a huge devaluation!!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by becreative
Dear Andrew,

Given that I fly primarily to Europe this does not actually work as you have laid out.

For arguments sake I am going to go up to 105k to properly account for threshold bonuses

For 2010
I could potentially upgrade 3 Tango Plus round trips and 6 round trips at fare class M or higher

For 2011

For arguments sake if I was to look at a mixture of Tango plus and higher fares then it gives me 6 segments (3 Tango Plus round trips) and only 6 segments (3 round trips) at fare class M.

So I am worse off with atleast 6 less upgrade chances. But this also means that AC is worse off by atleast an extra $1500 or so that I would have paid for an M class fare as opposed to a lower fare for those 3 round trips. This becomes even more extreme if you look at the longer trips etc.
Completely agree. Same situation here...
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:21 am

So now everyone is griping and complaining...

How many of you will actually change your travel habits because of this program change?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Completely agree. Same situation here...
And this doesnt even take into account that 1 SSWU was enough to get you from LHR to SYD

Now just to look at YYZ-LHR its a devaluation. Anything over 5000 miles is something you dont event want to think about!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:23 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Originally Posted by becreative
Dear Andrew,

For 2010

For 2011

Agree but recognizing the M class is really just Tango Plus and if you look at Europe, M class is almost 50% of Y/B so we cannot price the value of M class the same as Y/B. We priced it differently than the rest of the T+ because it is at the higher end. Using your calculation above, someone can now upgrade 5 roundtrips on Tango Plus instead 4 in 2010 to Europe and someone who flies Latitude can get over 10 roundtrips to Europe. Not to say the system works for everybody but we had to balance it.

Also keep in mind the new upgrade for a nominee without the need to travel with them; some of you might not admit it or remember but this is very high on the ask list. (Especially the ability to upgrade family members when they are not traveling with you on all flights on a business trip etc; there's a huge cost to this as well as number of upgrade eligible customers have gone up)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.