Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Help: Connecting at YYZ Terminal 1 to Terminal 3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I am traveling from LGA to YYZ on AC at Terminal 1, and then connecting to HKG on CX at Terminal 3.

Can someone please advise:
How long to leave between flights? (At this stage, it looks like I have 4 hours, but I can be earlier if required).
How long the terminal change will take?
Will I have to claim bags, clear customs and immigration in YYZ? (The tickets employ two separate PNRs).

Any other tips, advice, etc..

Thank you!

Joe
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Hi Joe,

4 hours should be fine. You will need to leave the secure area and travel by monorail or bus to Terminal 3, but it should be smooth sailing otherwise.

Your bags will arrive after you clear immigration, and then you and your bags will have to clear customs before making the transition to T3.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Dave.

Two last questions:

What would be the MINIMUM amount of time to connect between the two terminals, assuming I have to check in again at Terminal 3?

If I was to change airlines to fly into Terminal 3, how much time would I need? Do I still need to clear customs / immigration?

Thanks again!

Joe
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'd say that 2h would be the minimum comfortable connect time from T1 to T3. If you're looking at a sweating-bullets-I'm-not-sure-if-I'll-make-this-flight then the number would be a bit lower. With 2 separate PNRs you do need to check in at the CX counter so you need to be mindful of minimum check-in times. (i.e. If you don't have your BP at T-x minutes prior to boarding you might be SOL.)

I'm not sure who flies from LGA to T3 these days. I do know that you might make a 1.5h connection on 1 PNR if you take the AC flight to HKG instead of CX from T3.

BTW, since you're coming from LGA, can't you just take a CX flight from there? (Or EWR / JFK?)
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I'd say that 2h would be the minimum comfortable connect time from T1 to T3. If you're looking at a sweating-bullets-I'm-not-sure-if-I'll-make-this-flight then the number would be a bit lower. With 2 separate PNRs you do need to check in at the CX counter so you need to be mindful of minimum check-in times. (i.e. If you don't have your BP at T-x minutes prior to boarding you might be SOL.)
I would be more worried about the baggage cut-off than the minimum check-in time. They can always override the check-in deadline or you can do OLCI but they probably won't take your bag if you're a minute past the deadline.

I'm not sure who flies from LGA to T3 these days. I do know that you might make a 1.5h connection on 1 PNR if you take the AC flight to HKG instead of CX from T3.
The minimum transfer time at YYZ for AC US->Intl is 1 hour. The whole thing would be 20min of walking with no baggage collecting and only a cursory passport check so you don't need to pad that unless you're worried about the LGA flight being delayed.

YYZ baggage handling is not the swiftest and LGA flights aren't the most timely. On two separate itineraries you want enough extra time that you don't have to worry even if your flight is late and your bags take a while.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
BTW, since you're coming from LGA, can't you just take a CX flight from there? (Or EWR / JFK?)
Not sure what type of ticket/class the OP is holding. But in general premium fares with CX is generally cheaper ex-YYZ than ex-JFK and especially for FC tix where fares ex-YYZ are more than 50% cheaper than those ex-JFK. Premium award availability are generally also easier to find on the YYZ flights than the JFK ones. So even adding the LGA-YYZ segment is not only still cheaper compared to the direct JFK flight, but often worthy for an award tix that might not be available on the JFK route.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:15 pm

AC at LGA should be able to check you in for both the AC and the CX flight even on the seperate tickets (present them both!). A seperate check-in shouldn't be required.

Don't know about the bags. They should be checked through to HKG and moved from AC to CX. There's a pretty good chance that you won't even see the bags at YYZ.

As for T1 to T3, its just a short bus ride.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies, everyone.

Yes, the reason I am taking the flight ex-YYZ on CX is purely for Award availability - that's where my miles are, and there was nothing out of JFK direct to HKG.

It also means I can connect with the 1:30am CX departure, getting me into HKG in the morning rather than late in the day.

It sounds like I should try to hang onto my bag LGA-YYZ so that I don't have to check it until I get to the CX desks at Terminal 3; that might help with the stress levels.

Thank you again for your help.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Why don't you fly AA from JFK to YYZ - they land at T3.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
LAN also lands at T3 at 11:45 from JFK, just enough to catch the 14:15 CX flight.

oops never mind, OP is going at 1:30am
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

AA was asking for $580 one way; AC wanted $177 (and on an A320 at that!).

Thanks again.

Joe
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by pitz
Don't know about the bags. They should be checked through to HKG and moved from AC to CX. There's a pretty good chance that you won't even see the bags at YYZ.
They won't be. You have to collect your bags before you exit the Immigration Hall. (I have to collect them when I fly BOS-YYZ-YHZ, all via AC.)
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Triley
They won't be. You have to collect your bags before you exit the Immigration Hall. (I have to collect them when I fly BOS-YYZ-YHZ, all via AC.)
Yeah, but you were connecting to a Canadian flight. I don't see why it would be different than booking AC LGA-YYZ-HKG (ie: US-Int'l), where you wouldn't see your bags either. Except in this case, because the flight leaves T3, you can't make a sterile connection (ie: Customs B).

I don't want to hold myself out as an 'authority' on this, but I'm pretty sure AC can check you in for a CX flight ex-LGA, and tag the bags through to HKG.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by pitz
Yeah, but you were connecting to a Canadian flight. I don't see why it would be different than booking AC LGA-YYZ-HKG (ie: US-Int'l), where you wouldn't see your bags either. Except in this case, because the flight leaves T3, you can't make a sterile connection (ie: Customs B).

I don't want to hold myself out as an 'authority' on this, but I'm pretty sure AC can check you in for a CX flight ex-LGA, and tag the bags through to HKG.
Sounds strange as CX isn't part of Star Alliance...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xray
Sounds strange as CX isn't part of Star Alliance...
You need not be part of the same alliance but I would not count on any favors from ac at lga with two separate pnrs. I'd not want to have much less than 4 hours given delays at lga, potential weather, customs line ups or baggage delays. If you were arriving on aa you would need less time and might get some sympathy from cx as they are in the same alliance. Also, aa flies from lga to Yyz. For concrete transfer info check gtaa.com where it looks like you will need to clear Canada Customs regardless whether you fly ac or aa into Yyz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.