Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 top tier requirement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
Mrs. Lev has far more points in her AE account courtesy of CIBC Aerogold than she does from flying. Come to think of it she has more points than I do and I'm the SE.
Ouch!! That must mean you've got a lot of Tropicana orange juice in the fridge, eh?

Shame all she's got is a bunch of points which she paid goodness knows how much for and you've got SE status with all the perks...

I know which one i'd take if given the option!!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by QCG
She would be better off putting those miles on a CC that converts to flights w/o going through AE. On AMEX and TD you can book the flight yourself and use the points to pay for it after the fact. If she flies with you she can benefit from your upgrades assuming you have enough of them and she gets status miles. Or, you can have her gift those points to buy a ticket that gets status miles and you use your AE miles to get her a J seat. You can still expense the flight for full value if its business related because it shows as a paid ticket. CRA could have something to say about a taxable benefit for your wife but they are not cutting things that fine according to my accountant.
Actually what we should do is dump her card and have me get one where the points go to my account. (This was orginally done when CRA was making noises about treating point redemptions as a taxable benefit. Only problem is With that while that threat has now diminished, it is tough to tell SWMBO that she's not longer getting "her" points.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Having earned a massive 1100 points from Tropicana since that program started, I think I'll stick with flying 100K/yr to get my 200K points
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by GlennH
Another consideration...at least in North America is that AC doesn't serve the cities I need to visit. UA and US are my only option in this regard. So even if I book the ticket through AC I am still out of luck according to this new rule. In short its discrimination. I wouldn't have a problem with this if AC actually served Omaha, NE and other such destinations which I frequent but they don't.
I don't do any travel domestic Canada. US destinations are 90% of my travel.
AC/AE discriminate against me too as I buy Odwalla juice and not Tropicana, and I don't buy gas at Esso either... I don't see the logic of your argument.

The AE program is a marketing and loyalty program. Clearly, the changes mean that AC is not marketing to you anymore as they don't want to reward people who don't fly on their metal (though you note elsewhere that you do fly AC metal enough to qualify for status so I don't even see how the rule change is detrimental to you??). As for the notion that you want to keep all your points accumulation in one program, there are credit cards that will bring you all the benefits you want through their programs (flights and merchandise) except status. AC is now saying that the loyalty they value the most is people who actually fly on their planes.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, ex-Aeroplan Elite; Hertz #1 club
Originally Posted by Shareholder
So you're one of those who has used AE as a program of convenience to get STARGold for fewer miles...and are now doing the same with Aegean? Basically it's a FF program of convenience with no particular loyalty to the brand. Proves the point as to why AC has implemented this requirement.
Not True. Mrs Donard first qualified for elite accidentally after a number of flights for personal family reasons. We found the benefits pleasant, and used AC especially and other star carriers. In retiredom we bought yearly RTW tickets for a while (until a massive price increase) which had many trans-oceanic flights on AC. So as our travel patterns evolve, we still have a major AC component, as they fly many places from YYZ. The new rule will probably not affect us. It is just something I may need to watch sometime.

The FF programmes have instilled a loyalty to Star Alliance as it was *A RTW tickets I have bought, as well as choosing *A carriers (BD, LH, TG, US, etc) for many independently ticketed flights. The AP membership has encouraged me to route these tickets with AC in order to use SSWUs or SWUs before they changed the rules on RTW rickets. This year we will both reach E with 5 intercontinental Y flights on AC, but the rest on others. Any year less than 50% of our flying is usually done on any one airline. If it were not for the alliance feature we would be using different carriers - mid-east, OneWorld, Budget, etc - much more than we do.

So, by your thinking any programme would be "a programme of convenience". My point is that we do enough star alliance flying so that we deliberately book *A carriers, rather than their competitors. That must be worth something to the alliance, and by extension, to the carriers within it. The "program of convenience" comment seems to make out we are, somehow, less important Es than others.

And of course I want to get *G for fewer miles, and different qualification periods. The airlines set the rules, I do not. Much of the chatter on this board is to do with ways to get things (status, redemptions, upgrades, seating) to the passenger's advantage, and within the rules. What is wrong with that?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:03 pm

the new qualification criteria................. I LOVE IT!

get rid of those advantage seekers
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyhow, I have nothing against this new criteria. I should be able to make the 5 flight segments without any problems.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:25 pm

IMHO I don't see why there's so much excitemnt about this--it's 10,000 miles OR 5 segments-- it could have been BOTH!! Surely some identifiable loyalty can be expected in return for benefits.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
the new qualification criteria................. I LOVE IT!

get rid of those advantage seekers
I don't mind the criteria either, but wonder what advantage people seek by becoming Elite without ever flying the airline? If they don't fly on the metal then upgrade certs are useless, and there are easier ways to get *G than through AE/AC if lounge access and other *G perks are what one is after.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I just had a thought...could be reading into this too much but since it hasn't been raised:

When it says 10,000 miles or 5 flight segments, is that being tied into the method of qualification?

For example:

Let's say someone has 35,000+ total status miles earned, with less than 50 total flight segments flown. The person meets the qualification criteria for Elite based on miles. Of these miles, LESS than 10,000 are on AC metal, however 5 or more of their segments ARE on AC metal.

Would they still get Elite? (I would think so, but...)
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by QCG
Amazing concept. Making money. WOW!!!
making money, something AC has missed, they didnt miss getting more from the taxpayer this year. 500K loan.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:53 pm

I'm one of those with AC Elite (*G) status for the past 5-6 years without a single segment on AC metal. Definitely helped as my regular carriers ex-BLR are LH, TG, SQ, and I can get priority boarding/ lounge access/ occasional op-ups from them due to *G.

I've not received this email either - perhaps Aeroplan will attach a "stinker" with the regular stock text and then send that over to me.

I'll probably switch to CO next year, and hope that I do at least 50K of flying a year. Main reason to switch to CO is that at least they fly to India, and soon with CO/ UA coming together I should get E+ why flying UA.

Any other thoughts or suggestions (I heard TG mentioned and Aegean air mentioned, don't know their benefits/ criteria)?

PS: I can see this making total sense for AC, I'm not complaining about the change in rules (which I'm yet to see)...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nimish

Any other thoughts or suggestions (I heard TG mentioned and Aegean air mentioned, don't know their benefits/ criteria)?
Aegean requires 20,000 status miles for *G and TG 40,000 (TG's *G is good for two years).
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: AP elite; aa; USair; Delta; NWA
Does anyone know whether code share flights will count? Some routes are exclusively code share, e.g. yow-dca.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by auerbal
Does anyone know whether code share flights will count? Some routes are exclusively code share, e.g. yow-dca.
No, the e-mail stated "operated by AC", so only AC metal and flights operated by AC Jazz etc. count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.